“Sophisticated - excellent”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Phone number (530) 241-3663
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We loved this place. Sophisticated atmosphere and excellent food. Can be crowded. Located by itself in a shopping center so you may have to look for it.

2  Thank SaguaroJoe

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I've eaten at Moonstone a few times. Each time I have a new anticipation of food greatness but get slightly disappointed.

Food is fresh and artfully prepared but so far what I have ordered has landed flat in flavor. The menu is very small so I often struggle as the limited selection often does not intice me.
On the good side the ingredient are local and fresh.
On the bad side it is EXPENSIVE.

I'll likely go again

1  Thank Marie A
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stopped on the way home from Oregon on the recommendation of family -the fish tacos lived up to their reputation. Thank you Melissa great service.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Very excellent food. pricey tho... and you will pay more for a salad. Organic chicken thigh was $28. but was delious...

1  Thank Suz243
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We ate here while in town for the 2012 annular solar eclipse. It may be one of the best restaurants in Redding, it certainly looked good in the reviews. And it was good, except...

We had the "Salmon Fingerling Potatoes" as an appetizer, which was 6 skinny potato halves, each with a glob of a salmon / cream cheese mix on top. It was pretty good, but was more cream cheese than salmon or potato...

We also had the "Smoked Strawberries" as an appetizer, which turned out to be 4 strawberries and 16 almonds with a dipping sauce. Sort of spare...

I had the "Denizen of the Deep", which was a small slab of salmon, which was fine and well prepared, but sat atop a bed of noodles that were just... not so great. Said to be homemade, but perhaps made some time ago - just not ... that ... great...

I guess what I'm getting at is that this place puts on a good show for the menu, but the execution, at least for our dinner, was not exceptional and left us wanting more.

Then came the bill, the only thing not small about our experience here.
$$$$$!!!!!
Clearly priced as if offering a exceptional experience.

I really wish I could give it higher marks; we had high hopes from the menu online and it seems like it could be a great experience. Perhaps we just had an off night. Anyway, it still may be the best food you can find in Redding, but be prepared to adjust your expectations.

3  Thank Frank S

Been to Moonstone Bistro? Share your experiences!