“A marvellous house with a great bed!”
Review of The Desmond House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redding
The Desmond House
Ranked #3 of 9 Redding B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Greg has the most wonderfully decorated house; the place is packed with antiques of the Art Nouveau period.The place is better than a museum of furniture of that particular era. It is clear that Greg put a lot of time and effort in gathering all these objects that give this house an extraordinary feel. Both rooms are great (we could heve a quick peak), but the one we stayed in had a heavenly bed. In the morning, Greg had prepared everything for our private breakfast. It felt as if we had the place all to ourselves and it was a joy to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Albert047
There are newer reviews for The Desmond House

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We loved our brief respite at The Desmond House. Greg, the owner, made us feel very comfortable and actually sat with us while we had breakfast. What commends the Desmond House is the hospitality. Throughout our visit, Greg did all he could to make us feel welcome and comfortable.

The Desmond House has two guest rooms, a common living room, and plenty of sitting areas to just relax and enjoy the surroundings.

We definitely plan to return!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WalnutBaron
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Fantastic! At the Desmond House you will find relaxed and homey accommodations and a warm and welcoming home-owner. The beds are dreamy and the antique furnishings are lovely. Greg, the owner of the home, has a quirky interest in renovating old lamps and light fixtures, bringing color, fun and frivolity into every nook and cranny of the home. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Desmond House.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LMcConger
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I had to travel to Redding as my daughter was having surgery at the Shasta Regional Medical Center. I arrived, after driving for five hours, tired and just a bit anxious. The moment Greg greeted me and showed me my room I started relaxing. The bed had a great mattress. There were robes in the closet, the bathroom was modern and everything was clean and beautiful. AND, it was less than five minutes from the hospital.

As you arrive the house looks like a modest home on Riverside. Upon entering you will be treated to a marvelous experience. It's a combination of old world blended beautifully with updated amenities. There are only two rooms so it's very personal. (I met the nicest people who were also staying there.)

The coffee was ready first thing in the morning - with tender pastries, bagels and a fresh fruit bowl for each guest. There was also a large selection of tea available.

I'm a quilter and it just happened that Greg had two beautiful and very special quilts, that his grandmother made, to show me. They were exquisite! And, speaking of Greg, he is a delightful and thoughtful innkeeper. You are more than a guest at the Desmond House - you are a friend.

My stay was too short. But I will return - next time on a pleasure trip.

Room Tip: Both rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank dtippie
Reviewed April 26, 2011

If you’re the kind of person who likes to relax and be pampered then the Desmond House is for you. The house blends ‘old world’ charm with modern conveniences and most importantly an incredibly comfortable mattress. Awake each morning with coffee and enjoy life on the Sacramento River right from the front window. You will be happy you stayed at The Desmond House.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank jmarceau2006
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Clean, homey, safe, modern bathrooms and old world living spaces. Lovely details in the furnishings, a cross between 1850 and 1930 in the eclectic collections and especially the lighting fixtures. Everything works perfectly; there are 2 large screen TV's where we could watch the Giants' game in the fluffy provided robes! We had the 2 BR house to ourselves, a bonus because my husband is up a lot at night and needs space to stretch out, microwave leftovers, etc. There are several nooks for reading, overlooking the Sacramento River or just relaxing in light, plant filled spaces. The kitchen is fully furnished, including a vintage Wedgewood double oven stove. There's a new outdoor hot tub and unique wood fired 4-6 person sauna in a huge converted wine barrel. Greg, the owner, is unobtrusive and helpful. We felt right at home.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yag42
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I arrived after a long hot day of driving to find a cool, welcoming, incredibly tastefully decorated haven inside. I really couldn't believe my luck on stumbling on this gem. Slept very soundly in the Brooks room, in the gorgeous antique bed. The host, Greg, was very friendly and kept me company during breakfast (I was traveling alone) and made me feel 110% at home. Definitely in my top 5 favorite B&Bs.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo