“Good sleep stop”
Review of Thunderbird Lodge

Thunderbird Lodge
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Redding
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Thunderbird Lodge was merely a sleep stop for us on a 22 hour drive. We chose it due to the good price and high reviews. Like others before us, seeing the outside was a little dicey, but the rooms were not what you would expect driving up. We arrived after hours so the office was locked and we had to use the service window on the side as is often seen in smaller hotels. Normally I am used to having to ring the bell and wait for the manager/owner to wake up and come out, but this was not the case. Regardless of the late hour, we had already been noticed driving up and I was greeted cheerfully at the window instead of by someone groggy and upset to have to deal with customers at a late hour. That alone sets Thunderbird Lodge above many of the other independent hotels I have stayed at in the past.
Once in our room we had everything we needed for a good nights sleep. The place is older so don't expect a four star or anything, but if you are looking for a good place to stop, this one has what you need. Our only complaint was that the room was warm and the a/c took a while to cool it, but it was also the end of May and we got in and wanted to get right to sleep. However, if we had arrived a few hours earlier and gone to dinner while we turned the unit on to cool it wouldn't have been a factor, with the current economy we definitely can't blame the owners for turning the units off when there are no guests staying in the rooms.
While Redding isn't normally a route we drive through, we would be sure to look at Thunderbird again if we were to pass by.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JDivers
tblodge, General Manager at Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you were satisfied with your stay and also apologize for not having a nice cool room upon arrival .

During the summer months, Redding gets very hot. Housekeepers have been notified to turn on the AC's in rooms on the second floor before they leave so that guests are welcomed to an nice cool room. This may have been an oversight. Appropriate action has been taken so that such oversights do not happen.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you in the future.

Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Thunderbird Lodge

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel is in the center of Redding. Several miles off the I-5.From the exterior it appears to be old which it is,however the room was refurbed and offered every convenience needed. Clean and bright,very clean bathroom. You cannot beat the price.

Room Tip: A true value in the hotel,motel business. I would recommend with no hesitation!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I showed up at the ThunderBird Lodge and was told they did not have
two queen beds due to a plumbing issue and, therefore, they only had single
rooms available. Prepaid reservation through Travelocity was for two queen beds in the same room. Having two toddler children, along with two parents, we obviously needed one
room but with two beds. The assistant manager or whatever he was could have been more helpful but was not. I called Travelocity and spoke with someone half a world away and with poor English skills; worse, she was rude and refused to book me a room at another comparable hotel, and,worse, kept me on the phone so long that my phone died even though I warned her halfway through our call that she needed to stop arguing and book me a new room. I was therefore forced to call a competitor and book a room at another -- and more expensive hotel -- and my children were kept up way past my bedtime. Warning: Travelocity will not help you with any problems when you call them directly and the Thunderbird Lodge will not assist you either if there is a problem. Horrible customer service on both ends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. We try our very best to accommodate our guests. Since we did not have any rooms with two queen beds due to the plumbing issue, we offered you two rooms with one queen bed each. Your reservation was made for 2 adults and did not mention any children. Had the reservation mentioned 2 adults and 2 children, we would have made arrangements in advance for your stay at a comparable hotel at no cost to you.

After learning that the booked room was not available, you went out to talk to Travelocity and did not return. While waiting for you, we made arrangements for your stay at a comparable hotel. But you had left the property by then. Travelocity does not provide us with the contact information of the guest. We tried several times to contact you through Travelocity, but you were unreachable.

We may not be perfect, but we try our level best to serve our guests. It helps us serve you better if information such as number of guests, any special needs and/or traveling with a pet is provided.

Once again, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused and hope you give us another chance in the future.

Thank you.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Don’t judge this hotel it by its exterior! We had seen the TripAdvisor ratings, yet when we drove up to it, I almost left without even getting out of the car. The exterior is quite dated, although clean looking. The pleasant man behind the counter showed us a room. Apprehensively, we entered, and instantly we both agreed that we would stay.

The rooms are dated, a bit small, but renovated to make them adequate, even pleasant. The mattress and pillows were comfortable. The rooms were well lit (not always the case for older places). A microwave and mini-fridge are included. The bathroom had a shower stall, no tub. There was no bathroom fan, but there was an exterior window for ventilation.

I worried about train and traffic noise being a problem, but I slept soundly. And in the morning, we walked over to the former kitchen unit that served as the free continental breakfast, to find a very generous selection of food: pastries, fruit, oatmeal, coffee, tea, juice, milk, toast, jam. The selection was much better than at other places we had stayed.

The hotel is not obvious from the freeway. In fact, our GPS gave us indirect directions to it. It is within 2 miles of I-5, due west, just off of state route 44. Look up driving directions before you set out; it is easy to get to.

Only because of the bathroom limitations did I withhold a five-star rating. I would give it 4.5 if I had the option. This is definitely a place to consider staying at, unless you need a full bathtub.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KendianaJones
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed the night here on our way to SoCal - Easy to find and easy check in. The room was roomy enough for our family and clean. The bathroom was on the small side, but we didn't mind. My kids were the only people to use the pool while we were there, but it was clean and well kept. There are LOTS of places to eat around the motel (we chose the Mexican resturant that shares the parking lot)! The Continental breakfast had enough variety to keep everyone happy...but there is a doughnut shop around the corner as well.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Haskinsfam
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed the night here as a stopover on our California road trip.

The Good: The hotel is older, but they've done a lot to update it (fresh paint, new tile in the bathroom, etc.). They offer a decent continental breakfast which was great for us, since we left pretty early. They also had a small outdoor pool area that looked nice, but we didn't have time to enjoy.

The Not-So-Good: The bathrooms are on the smaller side and the rooms aren't as sound proof as a newer hotel might be. We did wake up a couple of times from the train and/or helicopter from the nearby hospital, but nothing that kept us up all night.

Overall, I feel like we got what we paid for. It's nothing fancy, but it felt safe and clean and gave us a good night's sleep, so nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2NWtravellers
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for two nights. The bed was very comfortable, more comfortable than our bed at home. The room was very clean. The shower was a little small, and there was this weird step up into the bathroom that I kept hitting every time I went to the bathroom (this is minor, but something they should check into fixing). The breakfast was basic, but good. We would definitely stay here again. The location worked well for us too, right down town.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple