“Nostalgia on a bun!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Arroyo Grande, California
“Nostalgia on a bun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

We love to venture off the beaten path and find something other than TGI McAppleTuesdays. Well, we found it at Damburger (get the spelling right. It's one word). The place was quite busy on this sunny and windy Saturday afternoon. Easy to find away from the congested major shopping area. Outdoor seating was nice.

On entry we find a quaint old burger joint with a very friendly staff. We placed our order ($30 total) and found a seat indoors. It didn't take long for the food to arrive. Piping hot burger and fries. I'm a french fry snob, and these were good. My son complained because I was stealing his. Looks like he'll grow up to be just like me. (There's a song with those lyrics, isn't there?).

We enjoyed our burgers, except one little surprise. No ketchup and way too much yellow mustard. How did we know that Redding is the mustard capital of the US?

We loved the nostalgia as well as the local character. After the burgers, we decided to get milkshakes and sit outside in the sun.

Ahhhh....

Just go a little easy on the mustard next time. :)

• Visited December 2013

SAFETY HARBOR
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Classic old local burger joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

LOVED this place. Has a great nostalgic feel to it. It's been around forever & feels like it.

All of the staff was really friendly & accommodating.

Double bacon cheeseburger with 'the works' + bacon was great. Super thin patties and great flavor. Fries came out nuclear hot and the French fry dipping sauce (catsup and mayo) was delish.

Great old local burger joint!

• Visited August 2013
Redding, California
“Furrrburger!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The food here was okay.. not the best tasting burger I have had. No wonder a chain restaurant (IN-N-OUT) wins the local competition every year.
My waitress was fat, sloppy and overall rude and I felt like I was taking something away from her day by coming in to grab a bite to eat. I could hear the cook in the back yelling about some personal issue unrelated to work. This place of "business" was very unorganized and the girls working there were very mean, rolling their eyes at my table and would peak their heads out from the kitchen to take a look and back in to talk about us. EXTREMELY low confidence these girls had. I have never felt so out of place. As we were leaving I looked in the back and the "cook" was cooking with a cat, YES a CAT in her shirt. I was dumbfounded and in utter shock, I couldn't believe what I saw so I took another peak and yes.. a cat in the "cooks" apron was whining and "meowing" . I walked out and called the health department asap! I will NEVER be back. Hopefully the burger here isn't actually CAT! YUCK!

• Visited June 2013
Battle Ground, Washington
“A place that I used to visit back in 1975”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Damburger Hamburgers is what the sign said when I used to walk to and from middle school. It was my favorite place to eat a quick snack.

• Visited June 2012
Eureka, California
“Great Burgers in Downtown Redding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I felt like I went back in time going to Dam Burger. The little restaurant is named after a place that served workers building the Shasta Dam back in the 1930s. It has a lot of character, like a diner from the mid-1900s. I have never had a hamburger like this one. The meat patties are thin, so that you buy a "double" if you want the usual amount of meat. Because you get more surface with the thin patties, there is a tasty crustiness to the burgers, which was really good. I got a double cheeseburger with bacon. Yum! The fries are good too. The menu is limited -- burgers, hotdogs, fries, shakes - but they do an excellent job on what they make. The staff was friendly and the service is fast.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Dam Burger? Share your experiences!