“Perfect.”
Review of Redcrest Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redcrest
Redcrest Resort
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Six miles into the Avenue of the Giants, we cycled to this spot. What a treat. A tad pricey, I was expecting great things. We got them. The room ( Unit 12 in the picture ) was wonderful. A wooden cabin in the Giant Redwoods in Humboldt County. A great experience. the room was really nice inside & out. It had a great cabin feel. Comfy bed. A great shower. TV and DVD player with lots of DVD's to choose from in a basket on the counter-top. Not a bad word to say really. The cafe attached across the road was great. I paid $120 for the night.It was the highest I'd paid on the cycle tour, but money well spent.

Room Tip: Unit 12. A great place.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Stephen A

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I are from Florida and were looking for a place to stay and relax while doing a bit of hiking in the Redwoods of N Cali. The best thing I would have to say about Redcrest is that it is very centrally located to the Humboldt State Park and the Ave of the Giants. There isn't much around it so you have to travel about 20 minutes north to get some things for your cabin. The cabins are great. Clean and cozy. Waking up to the sounds of nature with a cup of coffee on the front porch was awesome. Overall our trip was great and would go back to Redcrest when we return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David C
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This family run business came as a pleasant surprise for us. Starting with a late check-in which was handled with personal attention, the cabin being tastefully decorated, attention such details as to keep some cotton swabs in the restroom, nice little tidbits from history of that place, our stay here was very comfortable, pleasant and relaxing. We specially loved that our kids could play in the yard with out-door ping-pong table, horse-shoe pit, frisbee golf, swing-set, etc all in a safe, enclosed yard right in front of the cabin.

Although the wireless internet was not existent, there was TV and some chosen DVDs at hand in the cabin to keep kids busy when we wanted.

Some of the other guests at the resort called others, including us for s'mores part at the common fire-pit (wood provided by hosts). We made friends and so did kids at this resort.

This being in the midst of the old-growth redwoods in Humboldt National Redwood Forest, there are dwarfing groves you can drive to within minutes and spend a nice afternoon of picnic with very little crowd, which we obviously did.

Every detail in this resort has been attended to by a member of the host family with interest. Highly recommend this!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GKPai
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We loved this place! Two daughters, my granddaughter, and I traveled to the Avenue of the Giants and had made reservations at Redcrest Resort. From their website we liked the setting, the play area, having a barbecue grill right outside our cabin, and the rustic feel of the entire experience. We got a 2 bedroom cabin (#10) and found it perfect for our needs. Yes, the rooms are smaller than one would expect in a hotel, but the size of the rooms did not detract at all from the experience. They are what one expects in a vintage setting such as this. The staff we came in contact with were very friendly, waving to guests as they went about the business of running a resort. There were freshly planted flowers in all the flower boxes and bowls of planted flowers on all the individual picnic tables, wood in the box for the communal fire pit, even a box of assorted DVDs in our living room! The towels were thick and much nicer than at most hotels, and the beds were exceptionally comfortable, with a lovely selection of pillows on each bed and attractive bedspreads and decorative pillows. The kitchen had everything we could possibly want and the chairs on the front porch were comfortable and used daily. We stayed 4 days and wished our vacation could have been longer. We are already hoping to be able to do this again next year---and the year after that--and the year after that. Thank you to everyone at Redcrest for making our stay so memorable!

Room Tip: Look at the cabin descriptions on the website and choose from that. For us, a 2 bedroom cabin fit o...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Marcy O
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Don't visit this place! My two daughters and I, visiting from abroad had been charged for the room ahead of time earlier the same day. The rate was much to high for the standard that met us and the owners were so unfriendly that we decided to leave the key in the drop box a half an hour later and leave for another better place down the road.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ramsessandra
Reviewed July 18, 2013

In 2004, my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I took a road trip down the California coast to the Avenue of the Giants. We didn't have any hotel reservations and we happened upon the Redcrest Resort. They had an open room (cabin 11) so we stayed for the night. I honestly didn't pay too much mind to the property because we just needed a roof over our heads before exploring the redwoods the following day.

Fast forward 9 years to 2013, and we decided to re-visit the redwoods with our kids and my mom/step-dad. We wanted to show our family the beauty of the trees and visit the spot where I proposed to my wife 9 years prior. We decided to stay at the Redcrest Resort again, this time booking a 2-bedroom cabin for the 6 of us (cabin 2).

It was a long 10-hour drive to get there from our starting point, and we were all tired and worn out from being in the car all day. The office was closed when we arrived around 6pm and we were directed to check-in at the gift shop. We got checked into the room with no issues, unpacked the van and relaxed. Fortunately, this time of year, it doesn't get dark until after 9pm, so we still had a couple hours to explore the property.

Not much has changed since we were here last time. They seem to have added some permanent/longer term cabins on the right that I don't remember being there last time. The resort is quiet and pet-friendly, which is nice if you are bringing Fido along.

There is a big open play area in the middle of the resort, with a badmitten/volleyball net, tetherball, horseshoes, swings, a fire pit, and hot tub. I appreciate that the owners leave this area for families instead of trying to add more cabins to the property. We made use of the play area several times during our stay.

The cabin was pretty nice and in good condition considering the age of the property. One thing I did not like about the 2-bedroom was that you had to walk through one bedroom to get to the 2nd. This meant little privacy for the people staying in the first bedroom, as the people staying in the 2nd bedroom would have to walk through the first to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Not a major issue as this was a family trip but something to keep in mind.

We didn't deal with the staff much but the people we did talk to were friendly.

We don't plan on returning to the Avenue of the Giants any time soon (it's such a long drive), but if/when we do, we will likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Look through the resort's website to get a feel for the different rooms and choose the one that...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mswguitar
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had a horrible experience with these people. My husband and I were going to stay here on our way to my Grandpa's funeral service in Oregon. I have a service dog I was going to bring and we have two children who were going to stay home. Our plans were hard to figure out because we didn't have much notice and the reason for the trip obviously made things very stressful and heat breaking. The last thing I needed were complications and rudeness. We were very concerned about how my dog would handle our very long drive and our baby sitting plans fell through for the kids so last minute changes were made. I honestly didn't think it would be a problem if we didn't have the dog and had the kids. They take up about as much room as my 100 pound guy! When we went to check in they were very rude and turned us away because our reservation was for 2 adults and a dog. While I understand that reservations are made for a reason, things happen and the kids fit in bed with us or can sleep on the floor. We just needed a place to lay our heads for the night passing through. We walked out very distressed so my Husband went back in to talk to them. The lady at the front desk said I was rude from the start. Funny because I walked in with a very friendly hello even after being exhausted from driving 6 hours! She also told him "If it's a service dog then why isn't it with her!" I think that was incredibly rude and way out of line. I was going to be with my family the whole time and never unattended. Anyway the reason is none of her business and I was more concerned about my large dog riding in a hot car to a destination that is 10 hours away. I was willing to pay extra or do what ever I had to do. I understand and respect rules and policies. I wouldn't have even minded being turned away if they weren't so rude about it. They should consider people as human beings and be a little more understanding. You never know what someone is going through. Thanks for making a devastating trip even harder.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Christina M

Been to Redcrest Resort? Share your experiences!