“A marvelous experience!”
Review of Redcrest Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redcrest
Redcrest Resort
Marysville, California
“A marvelous experience!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We loved this place! Two daughters, my granddaughter, and I traveled to the Avenue of the Giants and had made reservations at Redcrest Resort. From their website we liked the setting, the play area, having a barbecue grill right outside our cabin, and the rustic feel of the entire experience. We got a 2 bedroom cabin (#10) and found it perfect for our needs. Yes, the rooms are smaller than one would expect in a hotel, but the size of the rooms did not detract at all from the experience. They are what one expects in a vintage setting such as this. The staff we came in contact with were very friendly, waving to guests as they went about the business of running a resort. There were freshly planted flowers in all the flower boxes and bowls of planted flowers on all the individual picnic tables, wood in the box for the communal fire pit, even a box of assorted DVDs in our living room! The towels were thick and much nicer than at most hotels, and the beds were exceptionally comfortable, with a lovely selection of pillows on each bed and attractive bedspreads and decorative pillows. The kitchen had everything we could possibly want and the chairs on the front porch were comfortable and used daily. We stayed 4 days and wished our vacation could have been longer. We are already hoping to be able to do this again next year---and the year after that--and the year after that. Thank you to everyone at Redcrest for making our stay so memorable!

Room Tip: Look at the cabin descriptions on the website and choose from that. For us, a 2 bedroom cabin fit o...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Marcy O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Don't visit this place! My two daughters and I, visiting from abroad had been charged for the room ahead of time earlier the same day. The rate was much to high for the standard that met us and the owners were so unfriendly that we decided to leave the key in the drop box a half an hour later and leave for another better place down the road.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ramsessandra
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 18, 2013

In 2004, my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I took a road trip down the California coast to the Avenue of the Giants. We didn't have any hotel reservations and we happened upon the Redcrest Resort. They had an open room (cabin 11) so we stayed for the night. I honestly didn't pay too much mind to the property because we just needed a roof over our heads before exploring the redwoods the following day.

Fast forward 9 years to 2013, and we decided to re-visit the redwoods with our kids and my mom/step-dad. We wanted to show our family the beauty of the trees and visit the spot where I proposed to my wife 9 years prior. We decided to stay at the Redcrest Resort again, this time booking a 2-bedroom cabin for the 6 of us (cabin 2).

It was a long 10-hour drive to get there from our starting point, and we were all tired and worn out from being in the car all day. The office was closed when we arrived around 6pm and we were directed to check-in at the gift shop. We got checked into the room with no issues, unpacked the van and relaxed. Fortunately, this time of year, it doesn't get dark until after 9pm, so we still had a couple hours to explore the property.

Not much has changed since we were here last time. They seem to have added some permanent/longer term cabins on the right that I don't remember being there last time. The resort is quiet and pet-friendly, which is nice if you are bringing Fido along.

There is a big open play area in the middle of the resort, with a badmitten/volleyball net, tetherball, horseshoes, swings, a fire pit, and hot tub. I appreciate that the owners leave this area for families instead of trying to add more cabins to the property. We made use of the play area several times during our stay.

The cabin was pretty nice and in good condition considering the age of the property. One thing I did not like about the 2-bedroom was that you had to walk through one bedroom to get to the 2nd. This meant little privacy for the people staying in the first bedroom, as the people staying in the 2nd bedroom would have to walk through the first to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Not a major issue as this was a family trip but something to keep in mind.

We didn't deal with the staff much but the people we did talk to were friendly.

We don't plan on returning to the Avenue of the Giants any time soon (it's such a long drive), but if/when we do, we will likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Look through the resort's website to get a feel for the different rooms and choose the one that...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mswguitar
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had a horrible experience with these people. My husband and I were going to stay here on our way to my Grandpa's funeral service in Oregon. I have a service dog I was going to bring and we have two children who were going to stay home. Our plans were hard to figure out because we didn't have much notice and the reason for the trip obviously made things very stressful and heat breaking. The last thing I needed were complications and rudeness. We were very concerned about how my dog would handle our very long drive and our baby sitting plans fell through for the kids so last minute changes were made. I honestly didn't think it would be a problem if we didn't have the dog and had the kids. They take up about as much room as my 100 pound guy! When we went to check in they were very rude and turned us away because our reservation was for 2 adults and a dog. While I understand that reservations are made for a reason, things happen and the kids fit in bed with us or can sleep on the floor. We just needed a place to lay our heads for the night passing through. We walked out very distressed so my Husband went back in to talk to them. The lady at the front desk said I was rude from the start. Funny because I walked in with a very friendly hello even after being exhausted from driving 6 hours! She also told him "If it's a service dog then why isn't it with her!" I think that was incredibly rude and way out of line. I was going to be with my family the whole time and never unattended. Anyway the reason is none of her business and I was more concerned about my large dog riding in a hot car to a destination that is 10 hours away. I was willing to pay extra or do what ever I had to do. I understand and respect rules and policies. I wouldn't have even minded being turned away if they weren't so rude about it. They should consider people as human beings and be a little more understanding. You never know what someone is going through. Thanks for making a devastating trip even harder.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christina M
Ashland, OR
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Four of us stayed in a two bedroom cabin (#10) in June. The location was perfect for hiking in Humboldt Redwood State Park. The cabin was pretty clean though somewhat worn, the beds and pillows were comfortable, and the kitchen was adequate for cooking dinner. I had been concerned about possible pet or musty smells, but there was no evidence of that. Nice hot tub. The main drawback was the size. While there were indeed two bedrooms, one of them (with one queen bed) was tiny, barely big enough to hold the bed with about 18 inches of space around the edges. It opened off the other bedroom, which had two beds and was roomier. The living/dining area was also tiny, just big enough to hold the dining table, chairs, and a futon sofa. A word on the little signs posted around the cabin as mentioned in other reviews: I thought they were pretty funny but definitely gave the place an un-welcoming atmosphere. Would they really charge $25 if you stole the guest comment book? And who would steal it in the first place? But I guess the signs did their job: the threat of having to pay an additional $200 did remind us to wash our dishes, but left us with an unpleasant feeling.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pat S
Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a great place. I was in the small cabin number 11 and it was so quaint and perfect for me. I loved the bed. Slept the best of my whole 15 day trip here. You had a choice of different pillows which can make or break a stay for me. But it was perfect blend. It was wonderful to wake up right in the redwood forest and be so close to a very wonderful area. It was also nice to have the microwave and the fridge. What a great place to spend time at while here. When I get back to this area I will be sure to come back for a visit. Well worth the price. I was so glad I picked this spot over any in Eureka.

Room Tip: Cabin 11is small but good, especially if alone. The others also looked good from what I saw. But so...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed here because I remember staying here as a kid in 1974. Still a wonderful location, but the management has really spruced things up. The cabins are very nice inside with fully stocked kitchens and marvelously soft beds! There were also about 7 pillows on each double bed. Simple but nice playground for the kids including a tether-ball that actually occupied my teenager. Our cabin had a flat screen TV and DVD player, but wi-fi is pretty terrible in the redwoods, no matter where you stay. It was like relaxing at home after a day of hiking. It's important to have a usable kitchen when you stay in the Redwoods because the restaurants are very few and far between, especially in the off-season.

Room Tip: We liked Cabin 5. It had one bedroom, so it was cheaper than the two bedroom units, but there were...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redcrest
Benbow Historic Inn
Dean Creek Resort
Dean Creek Resort
#1 of 1 in Redway
The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel

Been to Redcrest Resort? Share your experiences!