“Better for Family or Golf Enthusiast”

Morgan Run Club & Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
Cranford, New Jersey
“Better for Family or Golf Enthusiast”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My friend and I visited this resort in June 2014. At first we were a little confused when we drove to this resort because in order to find it you need to drive all the way to the end of Cancha de Golf. We did not realize that this was located among residential housing, but we were fine with it once we reached the checkin desk. The staff was very friendly and explained our surroundings. We recieved our keycards to our rooms, a map of the resort and an explanation as to where the pool, gym, restaurant, etc was. I was in a first floor room and upon my arrival I noticed that the room was very clean. I will have to agree with the other reviews that the resort needs a bit of a renovation but the bar and golf grounds are very nice.
I would say all in all I had a great time. The air conditioner was a little loud (which I didn't mind) and there were a couple of insects in my bathroom (again I didn't mind). Seeing as I do not wish to return to that part of California I doubt that I would stay here again, but if I was in the area I would and I would definitelky recommend it to others.

1 Thank grapess80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Ashiya, Japan
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We found a good deal for this resort and gave it a try. At arrival we were welcomed by the friendly receptionist, who explained us the facilities of the resort. The rooms are spacious, but a little outdated. They have to replace the mattress and the chairs. When we entered the room we felt it hadn't been aired for a while. The bathroom has been updated, but is very small. A plus is the illy espresso machine with free coffee in the room. We loved the fitness center. Great view from the treadmills, ellipticals and bikes onto the golf course. Lots of different workout machines, free weights and classes in yoga, Pilates or spinning are offered. Since the golf course is private there are no specials for hotel guests. Looked at the pool and found it crowed with families and their little ones, more like a public pool than a resort pool.

Room Tip: There are NO elevators! So if you don't like to drag your luggage up to the second floor, ask fo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2014

From the outside, the place looks a bit old. While the hotel room wasn't 5-star is was more than adequate. They are refurbishing. Try to get a room on the golf course side. Loved the in-room espresso machine. Even more, LOVED the renovated club house, bar and dining room. We had a nice dinner. Great place to golf and just hang out. Would not pay rack rate for the room but with a deal would go again.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf course view room
Ensenada, Mexico
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We booked this via Priceline and were not expecting much after reading some of the reviews, but WOW! The rooms were exceptional, spacious and well appointed (we had 5 rooms). There was even an espresso machine in the rooms! The lobby, bar and restaurant are all beautiful. We enjoyed cocktails and dinner on the deck overlooking the golf course. Great menu with decent prices.

I don't know if they just did a major refurbishing or what, but I would highly recommend this place and we will definitely be staying there again.

No fault of Priceline, but Morgan Run does add a $20 "resort fee" that covers things like parking, internet, etc. All the other booking sites display that fee but Priceline does not. Lots of other hotels charge for parking and internet, so it was no big deal.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I am not one to write complains but thought I would tell others to stay away from this hotel. I booked through price line and was terribly disappointed. I usually stay at Starwood properties but being that it was a holiday weekend they were sold out.
I arrived at 4:45pm 45 minutes after check in started. Upon arrival I was not told that I was not getting the room that I reserved. When filling out paper work I noticed that it said a King room not a room with two queen beds, which is what I reserved. I asked the not so friendly front desk associate who then looked at the computer and claimed that they did not have any queens at this time. I said I booked two queens as I would be staying here with my father who is very ill with cancer and myself we were in no way sharing a king bed. She said that she was sorry but that the room just had a king and pull out couch. I said as an adult I do not sleep on pull out couches and that my father could not either. I said I don't understand how you don't have the room I reserved when I am checking in only 45 minutes after check in time. Now if it was midnight or two am I may understand, but not 45 minutes after check in. She said sorry a tennis team had checked in already. Really now come on I thought. As she looked at the computer something didn't seem just right. As a non-member of there club I do believe she had rooms but would not give me what I had booked. And since this was a holiday weekend there was not rooms at any other hotel, so I was stuck.
I was not offered any thing else not even a more comfortable roll away bed. When entering the room it had a very bad chemical odor to it, was worn out and out dated. Only positive was a nice balcony but I wasn't going to sleep out there. So to make my story short, I slept on the pull out couch with springs in my back all night I couldn't wait to get out of that bed. I spoke with the front desk associate that morning all he could do was take off the resort fee, which was never taken off. He said there was no management present but to leave my name and number and a manager would get back with me. I took a business card of the managers and email over a week ago and got no response from the hotels management. Poor customer service all the way around. My advice go to another hotel, this place is not worth $100 per night and I paid $225.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank stacey j

Travelers are raving about these Rancho Santa Fe hotels

Big Bear Lake, California
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I booked for my birthday with Priceline and got a great deal. The rooms were nice and clean and the grounds were very pretty. We expected noise in the morning (there were children in the lobby when I checked in), and much to my surprise the only noise I heard were the birds. The pool has a great lap section roped off. The Jacuzzi closed at 9:00 p.m., but we were told we could stay later and go out the side gate. There was no elevator (most buildings were only two floors), so we had to drag our luggage up the stairs. The hallways and doors had markings and the carpet needs to be replaced. However, the staff was very nice and that made our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CaliforniaNotary
Rancho Santa Fe, California
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This place needs a complete make over.
It is very outdated, management is nowhere to be found and feels like a YMCA.
The golf courses are lovely.
Restaurant has poor service
So many better options in beautiful RSF.
We are locals and we left.....don't join!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Solana Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines

Been to Morgan Run Club & Resort? Share your experiences!