“Love the Property”

Morgan Run Club & Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed several times now for small conferences. Rooms are older but very clean. Construction going on for new bar area. Fitness Center is awesome. I thought the customer service was very good disagree with other post. Food was good. Relaxing outdoor spaces. Price is right.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for staying at Morgan Run and for giving us positive feedback. Please know we are investing capital this upcoming year to update the rooms. Come back and stay with us again soon and see the final renovations. Thanks again for choosing Morgan Run and we hope you see again! Luis. Luis.ibarra@ourclub.com

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The motel rooms are 2 star, maybe 2.5 star. Cobwebs and dead insects at the end of the indoor hallways and very poor acoustics. No hot water (tepid at best) on 1 of my 3 days. Luckily I work out daily which led me to visit their fitness facility, which is very nice. I would gladly pay $5-7 to visit the fitness facility, but charging $20 for Internet, which is really the other half of the Resort Fee is exorbitant.

If you must stay here, my tips
-get a top floor room. Acoustics are bad enough, and I think you would benefit from not hearing the guy upstairs walking everywhere. Although I had to lug my gear up stairs, it was worth it.
-wifi isn't that bad, but you must relocate away from the bedroom or desk closer to the front door. Signal was much stronger, and was good enough for Skype when I moved nearby the room door.
-no way to get out that resort fee, so if you work out, I highly encourage using it. It is truly a very nice facility.
-don't count on the on site restaurant. There are plenty of good spots to eat closer to the 5 freeway, only 5 minutes or so away.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear your expectations were not met. This upcoming year, we are investing capital to improve the rooms and their amenities. Please know the resort fee is a one-time charge so that Guests can take advantage of our beautiful fitness facility, pool area, free parking, free wi-fi, and access to our Lounge without being 'nickeled and dimed'. Should you have anymore questions/comments, please contact us and ask for the General Manager or email luis.ibarra@ourclub.com.

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I went to Priceline bid your price and was charged an extra 20% on the room at check in. I was told rudely to expect hidden fees and I should complain by Pat...so I am. It's both Priceline & YOUR fault (mine for not doing research or reading fine print ) but the customer service from all employees was disgusting to me. I felt if Pat thought it was 'ok' to charge me an additional 20% I could ask for a complementary upgrade. She looked puzzled and said 'no'. I asked if the hotel was full or close too, Pat replied no.....so why should I not get an upgrade if no one will stay in the room anyway ? Oh I know why Pat is incompetent and rude after reading these reviews....why is she still there? Second, I came with my child and went to drop my child off at 'kids club ' before my round of golf. No one was in the room and it looked like a run down pre-school and no kids? Eerie. When I met the supervisor I knew why, she was fake and seemed uneducated. I asked what she would be doing with my child 'oh board games , and play in the kitchen, make crafts' I stopped listening after that because quite frankly if your over 30 ,a professional babysitter, with no kids, there's a problem. I had folks watch her after my round , course was nice but over priced and I heard a caddy talking about his sex life with another employee at the check in stand....did I flash back to high school? The food was terrible over priced 20% charge on bill plus I'm supposed to tip, think not for a 45 minute and sub par quality. Oh the room by the way had stains on the carpet, dings in Furniture , the list goes on. My theory if employees don't take pride in working there why should you feed their paychecks ? Especially for an inadequate 'resort'

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Sarah J

I am sorry to hear about your experience. We are investing some capital this upcoming year to improve our rooms and other areas of the club. In regards to the rude employees, please know we strive to hire the best staff at Morgan Run and if you had a bad experience with one (or many) employees, I would like to hear about it. Your feedback is a big part of my eyes/ears as General Manager. Please call and ask for Luis Ibarra or email me at luis.ibarra@ourclub.com as I would like to hear more of your feedback. Your business is very important to me. Thanks.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The place is okay overall, I was told that tennis courts would be included in the resort fee but there is $15 court fee per person so it would have cost us $60 to play there so we just used the public courts. I think this tennis price is way unreasonable as our family would ended up paying $240 just to play tennis for couple hours per day for 4 days which is what we pay for two months for our private tennis club!!!! Coffee is the best! Location is good but not super. I might stay there again because of the price but will check out first to see I can find something closer to the beach and free tennis court. Also, we requested a fridge in our room which they delivered but that came at a charge which no one told us about. It wasn't a big one but I think front desk guy should have mentioned it to us upfront. Carpet and furniture is very dated but that was already expected from other reviews and we don't really spend that much time in the room anyway.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at Morgan Run. As a Guest, you should not be charged for use of the tennis courts unless you are renting a ball machine. Our apologies for this unnecessary upcharge. Please let us know when you are staying again and our Tennis Department will take care of you. This upcoming year we are investing capital towards our rooms to enhance their appearance and amenities. Please call us or email at luis.ibarra@ourclub with any further questions/comments. Thanks.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here for the last week of July 2013 on business. It is a small resort that is under construction.

Pros: The rooms were clean and the beds were nice.
The staff was friendly.
The gym was large and well equipped.
The spa and locker rooms were nice, well stocked but smaller.
Location is great (in an exclusive community)

Cons: Construction in the main dining area.
Gratuity automatically added to the food service.
Our room lacked in furniture (a place for 2 to eat would be nice since they have room service).
The interior corridor carpets were dirty, (but when I mentioned it to the front dest supervisor, she did appear concerned).

We selected this resort for value and location. It was minutes to Del Mar and Solana Beach. Whole Foods or Albertson's were convenient. But don't plan on walking to any retail. I could not find any shuttles either, which would be nice. I'll keep looking though.

These are my petty little comments:
I like buying a resort dress every time I travel. The boutique did not have a selection for this. What they did have was cute and affordable swim suits and cover-ups.
They did not have coffee machines, microwaves or refrigerators in any minibar or "kitchen" space. There was plenty of space in the room to have a 'kitchen'. Since we stayed a week, those amenities from "home" would have been appreciated.
Instead of in-room coffee, they had espresso machines, which I consumed-Bzzzzzz!

We are going back pretty routinely and hope to see the construction completed. I'll keep posting :)

Room Tip: This week, I was in Bldg 2 with the facing the parking lot. So we didn't use the patio. The ot...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for staying with us at Morgan Run. We hope you visit us again soon for you will be impressed with the renovation. Please know we are investing capital this upcoming year to change the hotel room carpets and upgrade some amenities. If you have any further questions/comments, do not hestitate to email luis.ibarra@ourclub.com. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Despite ongoing renovation to upgrade their facilities, Morgan Run was still a convenient and moderately priced place to stay. The rooms are standard (nothing fancy) but still comfortable and offered a convenient location for the destinations in the area that we planned to visit. Although the dining room was closed (renovations), they did offered a reasonable menu selection at their outdoor dining area that was satisfying to our appetite. I'm not quite sure what the $20/day resort fee covers (?) which bumps up the price for no added benefit.

Room Tip: Having a refrigerator was an benefit!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Our apologies for the delayed response. Thank you for staying with us at Morgan Run Club + Resort. We hope you have a chance to come back soon to see the renovation. This upcoming year we are investing capital towards the rooms so we will be getting new carpets and adding some amenities. Please know we charge the Resort Fee so Guests have access to our Fitness Center, Free Wi-Fi, Restaurant & Lounge, Tennis Courts, etc, without having to "nickel & dime" them. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call and ask for the General Manager. Thanks.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Their website describes the bathrooms as luxurious. What a joke. They were no nicer than a 2 star motel. We had a patio on first level with no view whatsoever. Spend a little extra and get a quality place. Thet even add a $20 resort fee which is a ripoff since its nothing more than a glorified motel. Golf is $100. We played elsewhere for less than half that at beautiful courses.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank sjoens
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Santa Fe
The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

Been to Morgan Run Club & Resort? Share your experiences!