“Not bad, 3 star advertised, 3 star quality.”

Morgan Run Club & Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

This is advertised as a 3 star resort, and it delivers on that. They do need new carpet in the hallways and some paint all around, but the room is quality. Comfortable bed, nice enough bathroom, flat screen tv and a desk. It is one noisy hotel though. Japanese guests next to us were in and out of their room all night with the door slamming. I asked them to be more considerate, but they just acted like they don't speak English, not the hotels fault, but the walls are super thin. Resort fee is suspect, but at $16 it covers parking and wifi. They offer use of the sports club too, not my thing on a vacation. They do keep saying "brand new as of 2008", might be time to move on from that, 2008 was 5 years ago. i would stay here again at this type of rate - $85, and it would be worth up to $115 or so. Looks to be a decent home base for a potential golf vacation too.

• Stayed: February 2013
There are newer reviews for Morgan Run Club & Resort

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The amenities are impressive if you like working out, swimming, golf and tennis. The hotel is dated and makes a poor initial impression, with dirty carpets in the hallway, peeling paint and overall need for upgrades. Management is not doing their job with normal maintenance as my tub didn't drain, several lightbulbs were out and my toilet had a slow leak. The complimentary espresso machine was an added bonus and the bed and linens were superior with 4 choices of pillows. WIFI was accessible at all times. I have heard that a major restoration is planned so that may be the reason for the deferred maintenance. Overall, it's a terrific resort and needs to have the accommodations to match the amenities.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

I would like to start out by thanking you for the great feedback.

Our amenities continue to impress our Guests who stay with us. The spa, athletic, and pool facility are all brand new as of 2008.

We have invested close to 1 million into golf course renovation, 250k in tennis court resurfacing, and 8 million in the spa & athletic facility.

Regarding the hotel carpet we are in fact getting ready to replace and refinish all of the hotel corridors in the upcoming months. We also are completing a 2 million dollar lobby and clubhouse renovating due to be complete by June 1, 2013.

If you could please forward the room number you were in I would appreciate it. This would assist us in addressing the light and toilet issue you had in the room and ensure future Guests would not have the same experience.

Again, thank you for the great feedback. Without feedback like yours we cannot continue to improve our product and services and for that we thank you.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Fine resort with heated pool for winter time laps. Staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is reasonable for prices and quality. Bar is ideal for single diner. I would recommend the resort for couples, business travel and weekends.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Larry S
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great Place rooms just a bit older than I would expect. great free coffee every morning at the Restaurant area all you want free even tea . Service is good not top notch but ok. At check in Lady was not that pleasant even intact she never even said hello or smiled. I reserved a room s for three disabled elder people and a room for two non disabled. the lady said well we only have 2 rooms with one king and fir the disabled room we will have to give you a roll out bed we are full and that is what it is, Never even offered a upgrade or some kind of apology for the disabled room and one of the guest was 86 years old had to sleep on a roll out bed. besides that the place is ok but a bit of travel to San Diego and at night very dark roads to travel.

Room Tip: Call ahead and book with price line or other travel site i got rooms for 50.00 per night and on thei...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

I would like to start out by saying thank you for the great feedback. Our new Illy coffee program has been very well received and Guests are sure to tell us about it!

Regarding front desk service I will follow up with the Team. Our goal is to ensure GREAT service with every experience on property.

I could not help but notice your tip. Be sure to give us a call directly as we would be happy to extend you the same rate you can find online.

Again, thank you for the feedback. We will look forward to seeing you during your next stay at morgan run.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you like to stay in NON sexy rooms, this is it!

If you expect modern: run away..

The price you pay compared to what you get, is really bad..

We bought something on priceline - which yes, was a better price than what we would have initially gotten had we booked direct.. however, we upgraded on arrival, to a room with a view for $20 additional per day to look over the gold course instead of the parking lot.. which I understand but that's not my problem with this hotel.

Hotel are rooms are clean and kept up and the hallways smell like fresh laundry so I can't complain there... but if you imagined you would get modern rooms with the price you pay.. you were wrong..

Our room, over looking the golf course, has old brown curtains, stained carpet at the foot of my bed (i said the room was clean and it is.. aside from this lovely stain), one of those old hair dryers from the 80's that makes a lot of noise and barely dries hair, ugly and old furniture, old alarm clock without ipod dock of course, plastic chairs on the deck, and photos of freaking horses (i know its rancho santa fe.. but get some artists to paint nice horses or something lol)

Seriously though: the heater.. is from the 80's.. its one of those old big boxes.. and its SO FREAKING LOUD.. i am not a light sleeper but man this thing is SO loud and ridiculous.

If you like to golf, this is probably an awesome place since you are not in your room but you have such easy access to the course. That said, if you are like my parents and myself and just wanted a nice hotel, this is NOT it. I still don't understand why my dad comes here year in and year out. I think maybe because his generation doesn't know the new modern hotels which i have been lucky to be exposed to on numerous occasions.

Basically, what im saying, is that although the rooms are relatively clean and there is a great Illy Coffee machine, there is really no point at all to stay here unless you golf. I would rather stay in a brand new holiday inn express or Hampton (with breakfast included might i add) than stay in an outdated room.. Anyway, with the price we paid, there were hotels like the hyatt downtown and other four stars that would have been in the same exact price range but they would have been renovated!

I can't believe this hotel is able to charge anything over a hundred dollars per night honestly.. they are banking on the idea that people will fall in love with the proximity of the golf course and not look at the room.. and it's a shame.

Also: If you are prepared to share the room with someone else, you must consider that the internet may or may not work lol

If i was management, i would get on those renovations soon because pretty soon, this hotel will become a thing of the past!

Cheers!

PS: i still give it 3 stars because obviously, its not a 2 star.. as I said, its clean and has a flat screen tv and the basic 3 star stuff.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the feedback. Over the past 5 years we have reinvested 13 million dollars which includes a new state of the art spa and athletic facility, rooms updating, and major golf course renovations. This march will will also be completing a 2 million dollar lobby and clubhouse remodel. All furnishing, flooring, furniture, and light will be BRAND NEW.

We are excited about Morgan Run and the future ahead of us. If possible give me a call directly as I would love to speak to you about your thoughts and feedback more specifically.

Again, thank you for your feedback as without Guest feedback we cannot imrpove. I hope you are having a phenomenal new year and I will look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at the hotel while visiting the area for the holidays. We are not golfers but the course and grounds looked beautiful. The weather was unusually cool and the gas fireplace in the room provided an extra comfy touch. Service was super! We enjoyed a wonderful holiday event on New Years - the food was wonderful. The Illy espresso machine in the room was great. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the great feedback. I will be sure to share with the Team.

The Illy coffee program is a HUGE hit with all of our Guests.

We will look forward to your next visit. If you have any special needs or accomodations for your future visit please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Calling Morgan Run Club a "resort" is using that term very loosely. While they have a golf course and some nice amenities like a well maintained gym and pool, the quality of the rooms underperform quite a bit. I think I rather stay at a La Quinta Inn & Suites in terms of the room quality. I was upgraded to a "suite" which is just the second floor of one of their buildings and on the side of the building which gives me a view of the golf course, YAY. Be prepared to pay their resort fee of around $15 which covers the WiFi cost, gym usage fee, and other misc things. The one positive thing is that it seems to be still more cost effective than some of the nearby hotels in the heart of Del Mar.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with a golf course view, seems like the best you can for your money
Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank solarsnorkeler
luis i, Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

I would like to start out by thanking you for your review. Guest feedback is the primary tool that allows our Staff to improve. I would like to apologize if the communication was unclear regarding the price. Rather than charge for parking, internet, gym access seperately we opt to charge one sum in hopes to simlify the process.

Our new pool and state of the art gym continues to be a hit. Thank you again for the feedback. If you need anything regarding your next stay please feel free to give me a call directly.

Warm Regards,

Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#3 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Morgan Run Club & Resort? Share your experiences!