“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Fine resort with heated pool for winter time laps. Staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is reasonable for prices and quality. Bar is ideal for single diner. I would recommend the resort for couples, business travel and weekends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Larry S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great Place rooms just a bit older than I would expect. great free coffee every morning at the Restaurant area all you want free even tea . Service is good not top notch but ok. At check in Lady was not that pleasant even intact she never even said hello or smiled. I reserved a room s for three disabled elder people and a room for two non disabled. the lady said well we only have 2 rooms with one king and fir the disabled room we will have to give you a roll out bed we are full and that is what it is, Never even offered a upgrade or some kind of apology for the disabled room and one of the guest was 86 years old had to sleep on a roll out bed. besides that the place is ok but a bit of travel to San Diego and at night very dark roads to travel.

Room Tip: Call ahead and book with price line or other travel site i got rooms for 50.00 per night and on thei...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I would like to start out by saying thank you for the great feedback. Our new Illy coffee program has been very well received and Guests are sure to tell us about it!

Regarding front desk service I will follow up with the Team. Our goal is to ensure GREAT service with every experience on property.

I could not help but notice your tip. Be sure to give us a call directly as we would be happy to extend you the same rate you can find online.

Again, thank you for the feedback. We will look forward to seeing you during your next stay at morgan run.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you like to stay in NON sexy rooms, this is it!

If you expect modern: run away..

The price you pay compared to what you get, is really bad..

We bought something on priceline - which yes, was a better price than what we would have initially gotten had we booked direct.. however, we upgraded on arrival, to a room with a view for $20 additional per day to look over the gold course instead of the parking lot.. which I understand but that's not my problem with this hotel.

Hotel are rooms are clean and kept up and the hallways smell like fresh laundry so I can't complain there... but if you imagined you would get modern rooms with the price you pay.. you were wrong..

Our room, over looking the golf course, has old brown curtains, stained carpet at the foot of my bed (i said the room was clean and it is.. aside from this lovely stain), one of those old hair dryers from the 80's that makes a lot of noise and barely dries hair, ugly and old furniture, old alarm clock without ipod dock of course, plastic chairs on the deck, and photos of freaking horses (i know its rancho santa fe.. but get some artists to paint nice horses or something lol)

Seriously though: the heater.. is from the 80's.. its one of those old big boxes.. and its SO FREAKING LOUD.. i am not a light sleeper but man this thing is SO loud and ridiculous.

If you like to golf, this is probably an awesome place since you are not in your room but you have such easy access to the course. That said, if you are like my parents and myself and just wanted a nice hotel, this is NOT it. I still don't understand why my dad comes here year in and year out. I think maybe because his generation doesn't know the new modern hotels which i have been lucky to be exposed to on numerous occasions.

Basically, what im saying, is that although the rooms are relatively clean and there is a great Illy Coffee machine, there is really no point at all to stay here unless you golf. I would rather stay in a brand new holiday inn express or Hampton (with breakfast included might i add) than stay in an outdated room.. Anyway, with the price we paid, there were hotels like the hyatt downtown and other four stars that would have been in the same exact price range but they would have been renovated!

I can't believe this hotel is able to charge anything over a hundred dollars per night honestly.. they are banking on the idea that people will fall in love with the proximity of the golf course and not look at the room.. and it's a shame.

Also: If you are prepared to share the room with someone else, you must consider that the internet may or may not work lol

If i was management, i would get on those renovations soon because pretty soon, this hotel will become a thing of the past!

Cheers!

PS: i still give it 3 stars because obviously, its not a 2 star.. as I said, its clean and has a flat screen tv and the basic 3 star stuff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for the feedback. Over the past 5 years we have reinvested 13 million dollars which includes a new state of the art spa and athletic facility, rooms updating, and major golf course renovations. This march will will also be completing a 2 million dollar lobby and clubhouse remodel. All furnishing, flooring, furniture, and light will be BRAND NEW.

We are excited about Morgan Run and the future ahead of us. If possible give me a call directly as I would love to speak to you about your thoughts and feedback more specifically.

Again, thank you for your feedback as without Guest feedback we cannot imrpove. I hope you are having a phenomenal new year and I will look forward to hearing from you.

Tubac, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at the hotel while visiting the area for the holidays. We are not golfers but the course and grounds looked beautiful. The weather was unusually cool and the gas fireplace in the room provided an extra comfy touch. Service was super! We enjoyed a wonderful holiday event on New Years - the food was wonderful. The Illy espresso machine in the room was great. We would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for the great feedback. I will be sure to share with the Team.

The Illy coffee program is a HUGE hit with all of our Guests.

We will look forward to your next visit. If you have any special needs or accomodations for your future visit please feel free to contact me directly.

Hayward, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Calling Morgan Run Club a "resort" is using that term very loosely. While they have a golf course and some nice amenities like a well maintained gym and pool, the quality of the rooms underperform quite a bit. I think I rather stay at a La Quinta Inn & Suites in terms of the room quality. I was upgraded to a "suite" which is just the second floor of one of their buildings and on the side of the building which gives me a view of the golf course, YAY. Be prepared to pay their resort fee of around $15 which covers the WiFi cost, gym usage fee, and other misc things. The one positive thing is that it seems to be still more cost effective than some of the nearby hotels in the heart of Del Mar.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with a golf course view, seems like the best you can for your money
Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank solarsnorkeler
luis i, Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I would like to start out by thanking you for your review. Guest feedback is the primary tool that allows our Staff to improve. I would like to apologize if the communication was unclear regarding the price. Rather than charge for parking, internet, gym access seperately we opt to charge one sum in hopes to simlify the process.

Our new pool and state of the art gym continues to be a hit. Thank you again for the feedback. If you need anything regarding your next stay please feel free to give me a call directly.

Warm Regards,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I did not have to opportunity to stay at the resort, so I cannot really comment on that aspect of this property. I did however, have the opportunity to enjoy a round of golf on their North and South course. The courses are made up of three nines, North, South and East. The staff there is extremely friendly and helpful and showing up as a single, they were able to pair me up with two of the best guys I ever played golf with. By the end of the round, it was a though we had been friends forever. The course is in meticulous shape with some of the best greens I have seen in southern California. The greens held well and rolled true. Although the course appears challenging, if you play from the right set of tees you should have a very enjoyable round. At the end of the round, I highly recommend getting a beer and something to eat at the grill. The menu is extensive and the food is hands down some of the best served at a golf course. Not only is this place top notched, but the price of golf here will not break the bank.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank travelinggolfer757
Thank you for the phenomenal feedback. Our Director of Golf, Mike Lissebeck, and Golf Course Superintendent, Gary Vasquez continue to take things to the next level.

We are in the process of doing a multimillion dollar turf upgrade so it will only get better!

Our food is off the charts! The Executive Chef Michael Catalano takes pride in local seasonal products. He recently put in his very own garden. Hopefully you caught a glimpse of it before you teed it up.

Again, thank you for the feedback. We will look forward to your next stay.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hotel was OK-it is in need of renovations. We had a large comfortable corner room that was nice enough. The outside patio bar area was nice as well as the spa facilities.

The only HUGE complaint I have is we left the resort early one day and returned late and we found our hotel room door slightly open after being serviced by the maid. The resort does not have safes in their rooms so all of our valuables were in our bags just waiting for the wrong person to wander in and help themselves. When I called the front desk to report that our door was left open he asked if it was "wide open" or "just not shut all the way." I thought that was a very unprofessional way to address a stressful situation. He did not bother to follow up after he told us to check around for any missing items. Luckily nothing was taken but it could have been a very different ending to a nice weekend.

We will not stay at the resort again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
#60 of 281 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 stars 554 reviews

Been to Morgan Run Club & Resort? Share your experiences!