“Great Stay”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
Tubac, Arizona
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at the hotel while visiting the area for the holidays. We are not golfers but the course and grounds looked beautiful. The weather was unusually cool and the gas fireplace in the room provided an extra comfy touch. Service was super! We enjoyed a wonderful holiday event on New Years - the food was wonderful. The Illy espresso machine in the room was great. We would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback. I will be sure to share with the Team.

The Illy coffee program is a HUGE hit with all of our Guests.

We will look forward to your next visit. If you have any special needs or accomodations for your future visit please feel free to contact me directly.

Luis Ibarra
858-759-5434

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Hayward, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Calling Morgan Run Club a "resort" is using that term very loosely. While they have a golf course and some nice amenities like a well maintained gym and pool, the quality of the rooms underperform quite a bit. I think I rather stay at a La Quinta Inn & Suites in terms of the room quality. I was upgraded to a "suite" which is just the second floor of one of their buildings and on the side of the building which gives me a view of the golf course, YAY. Be prepared to pay their resort fee of around $15 which covers the WiFi cost, gym usage fee, and other misc things. The one positive thing is that it seems to be still more cost effective than some of the nearby hotels in the heart of Del Mar.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with a golf course view, seems like the best you can for your money
Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank solarsnorkeler
luis i, Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I would like to start out by thanking you for your review. Guest feedback is the primary tool that allows our Staff to improve. I would like to apologize if the communication was unclear regarding the price. Rather than charge for parking, internet, gym access seperately we opt to charge one sum in hopes to simlify the process.

Our new pool and state of the art gym continues to be a hit. Thank you again for the feedback. If you need anything regarding your next stay please feel free to give me a call directly.

Warm Regards,

Luis Ibarra
858-759-5434
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I did not have to opportunity to stay at the resort, so I cannot really comment on that aspect of this property. I did however, have the opportunity to enjoy a round of golf on their North and South course. The courses are made up of three nines, North, South and East. The staff there is extremely friendly and helpful and showing up as a single, they were able to pair me up with two of the best guys I ever played golf with. By the end of the round, it was a though we had been friends forever. The course is in meticulous shape with some of the best greens I have seen in southern California. The greens held well and rolled true. Although the course appears challenging, if you play from the right set of tees you should have a very enjoyable round. At the end of the round, I highly recommend getting a beer and something to eat at the grill. The menu is extensive and the food is hands down some of the best served at a golf course. Not only is this place top notched, but the price of golf here will not break the bank.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank travelinggolfer757
Thank you for the phenomenal feedback. Our Director of Golf, Mike Lissebeck, and Golf Course Superintendent, Gary Vasquez continue to take things to the next level.

We are in the process of doing a multimillion dollar turf upgrade so it will only get better!

Our food is off the charts! The Executive Chef Michael Catalano takes pride in local seasonal products. He recently put in his very own garden. Hopefully you caught a glimpse of it before you teed it up.

Again, thank you for the feedback. We will look forward to your next stay.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hotel was OK-it is in need of renovations. We had a large comfortable corner room that was nice enough. The outside patio bar area was nice as well as the spa facilities.

The only HUGE complaint I have is we left the resort early one day and returned late and we found our hotel room door slightly open after being serviced by the maid. The resort does not have safes in their rooms so all of our valuables were in our bags just waiting for the wrong person to wander in and help themselves. When I called the front desk to report that our door was left open he asked if it was "wide open" or "just not shut all the way." I thought that was a very unprofessional way to address a stressful situation. He did not bother to follow up after he told us to check around for any missing items. Luckily nothing was taken but it could have been a very different ending to a nice weekend.

We will not stay at the resort again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rancho Santa Fe hotels

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

As a fairly regular (business) visitor to San Diego I have stayed at the Morgan Run a couple of times. I always book through Priceline and pay $100 per night (+ taxes and resort fee of $15 per night which you get charged when you arrive).

The girl who has been on the front desk both times I have visited (usually about to do the dreaded night shift) gives a warm welcome and has a great sense of humour (well she seems to get my English humour anyway).

Its a rather sleepy place and its not the kind of location you would go if you were looking for a lively evening. I assume there are quite a few people like me who stay there because it is clean, reliable, a good price and has free Wi-Fi. I also love the pool which as two lanes for lap swimming (see picture).

I've only ventured into the bar once - but can highly recommend the nachos with beef appetizer (picture included with this review).

I'll definitely stay here again if I can keep getting such as great price.

Similar to other reviews some of the decor is a little tired but rooms are huge and super clean. Also fantastic Illy coffee machine in the room (see picture).

Only minor feedback in room (I was staying in room 222). The chair at the desk was awful and not great for working. It would be great if a real office chair could be provided. I ended up having to sit on a pillow to work). Also lighting is pretty gloomy.

Room Tip: Book using Priceline.com
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank textlad
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

A search for a reasonably priced spa resort around the Del Mar / La Jolla area uncovered this Golf Resort. We were going from Monday afternoon through Friday morning so anticipated that it wouldn't be over-run. It was perfectly located so we took the chance. On day two my girlfriend said 'you did good!' which proved to be the case. As we spent much of our time out and about, seeing the sights, I must admit that our hotel experiences were narrow. We moved from our well appointed room to the outdoor patio area for breakfast most mornings. That was about it. As most resorts could do with a facelift I won't even mention that aspect. Suffice to say that everything was clean.The waiting staff were very good so all in all it was a great find. The location and the price were first class and I'd have no hesitation in going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Coastal NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was a little worried when I read the reviews of this hotel after bidding on priceline but my friend and I loved it. It is out of the way but not far from anything and very clean. The hotel hallways and the desk and dressers could use and update but the rooms were clean and big. We also had a nice balcony. It was very quiet, which we realized was because a wedding party was also staying, we did hear them when they came in but only in the hallways.

The coffee maker was interesting as we couldn't find the directions so we found a Youtube video, and sure enough we then found the directions shortly after which were on a card near the machine.

I would definitely stay here again as this was a pleasant, peaceful place to stay just a few miles from Del Mar. There was a resort fee, but it was nice to have parking that didn't cost 35 dollars a night!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 3 in Solana Beach
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar

Been to Morgan Run Club & Resort? Share your experiences!