“Fantastic food & service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Veladora

Veladora
Reserve with OpenTable
Veladora is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rancho Diegueno
Description: Veladora. Where coast meets ranch. Where sun dappled afternoons fade into lantern lit evenings. And where all things fresh, handcrafted and simply delicious reside. Rancho Valencia's captivating new restaurant is now open and serving Coastal Ranch cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner in a stunning modern hacienda setting. An extensive wine menu of over 600 hand selected wines is on hand for sipping and savoring, as well as a welcoming private wine room featuring our rarest bottles for the most special of occasions. Our farm-to-table philosophy is infused throughout Veladora's culinary program, featuring local produce and herbs, flowers and honey cultivated right on property.
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The first thing I noticed was that the atmosphere was unlike that of most resort restaurants. Unpretentious yet chic. Our server was very well versed in the menu and offered his actual opinion rather than the typical "well, everything's good on the menu". The selection on the menu is somewhat limited but the quality and presentation of the food is fantastic. Not to mention a quality wine selection.

Visited August 2013

Boston
“Upscale Big Brother to Pony Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

What a dynamite "down to the studs" redo of an already great space. The food, service and wine list are absolutely perfect-this is a rare example of "fixing" something that was not really broken--but elevating it just the same. The beauty of the ingredients (and the respect that they are given) is incredible. I do not wish to imply that the food is fussy--it is not. BUT each fresh and local ingredient speaks for itself. And the wines are carefully chosen and reasonably priced. This is a special place!

Visited August 2013
New Jersey
“Ok dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Since its opening in 1989, this award-winning Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa located in southern California are my friends’ favorite SoCal resort. They recommended we should have dinner here. When we arrived we checked out the 1BR and 2BR casita’s for a possible future stay.

My party of 4 had an early 6:00 PM dinner reservation. Almost no one was here at the time of our arrival so we had the pick of the tables.

I ordered the $37 NY strip steak, which was a big mistake, since it was one of the worse looking and tasting steaks I have had recently. My friends ordered the $34 lamb loin and two ordered the $38 scallops. They were all happy with their entre’s. The scallops looked very nice. I was the only disappointment. Two of my guests are regulars here and they continue to love this place so I guess I ordered the wrong entre.

My 123 blanco margarita 555 was $14. An apple tini was $12.

The total bill less gratuities was $244.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tony J
Simon C, Executive Chef at Veladora, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Tony J,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Rancho Valencia and Veladora. We are so pleased to see that your friends enjoy the resort!

We are committed to delivering an incredible dining experience for each and every guest at Veladora, and offer our sincerest apologies for your less than stellar dinner. The experience you described is not characteristic of the level of cuisine our team strives to provide. I would love to have the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please feel free to get in touch with me at 858.759.6246.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and exceed your expectations.

Eric Bauer
Executive Chef
None
“Food was excellent, waitstaff were excellent and decor was fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel/resort nestled in the hills above Rancho Santa Fe has been refurbished by the founders of Qualcomm. They have done an amazing job of making it (returning it) into a hacienda style hotel.

The Decor was tasteful, playful and very nice. We sat in a comfortable booth with many pillows to put behind your back. The place was empty when we arrived and there was a mixup in when we could make a reservation but it all worked out. After about an hour the room filled to a comfortable level giving it the right ambiance.

The waitstaff were attentive without being obnoxious. They were all very knowledgable about the menu, room and hotel. Including occupancy rates, etc. This was refreshing that the trained the busboy to the hostess on the details of the hotel. It was excellent service.

The food was amazing. We recently ate at Godron Rasmay's restaurant in London and this beat both the presentation and taste in every way. Portions were large enough to fill you up. My Yellowtail was actually quite big. They served amuse-bouche which was a nice tough and amazingly good. The approach appears to be mixed between focusing on taste and gastro-chemistry like Ferran Adria's El Bulli. There were basil tasting foams, and a deconstructed lobster salad as well as an octopus carpaccio that was assembled like game tiles perfectly placed on the plate. The desserts were excellent as well.

Overall I highly recommend this restaurant. It was a dining experience right in San Diego. This place will start to win accolades and awards so get there quickly before you are shutout of a reservation or they raise the prices.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“A warm, glowing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband recently attended a conference held at Rancho Valencia in Santa Fe, CA. I went with him for a weekend at the spa, and I dined in Veladora.

Coming from Atlanta--the decor was the first thing to captivate me. It was extremely elegant with attention to every detail, from the extraordinary Damien Hirst butterflies art piece, design of the rustic, open beamed space, an abundance of candles throughout, to the resort's logo tastefully etched on the crystal wine glasses. At breakfast the space is comfortable and roomy. After sunset, the very same environment turns into this glowingly warm ambiance is a cozy, inviting space that invites you to settle in and stay a while. There is no stuffiness or pretense, anywhere.

The food was excellent. It was not only delicious and cooked perfectly, it was gorgeous to look at, as well--especially the vegetable dishes, which were tiny works of art. They use interesting ingredients, such as burrata cheese, nettle pureé, beet dirt and farrow. Perhaps they are common ingredients in California, but they haven't made it to the majority of Atlanta restaurants, yet. They do their own pickling and meat curing, as well. Portions were not huge so I was able to have a starter, entree and dessert--leaving very satisfied and not 'stuffed.' As other reviewers have mentioned, their wine list is extensive and superb.

I've not had service quite like theirs at Veladora. The staff are all very friendly and genuinely seem to want to be there, proud of what they do and so pleased to you are there so they can do it. The waiters were always available if I needed anything, called me by name and were most helpful in guiding me through the menu. In fact, the waiter of the table next to me at one meal was one of the best waiters I've encountered, anywhere: He took an interest in all the details the guests stated as to their preferences for food and was very proactive in suggesting alternatives to the set menu that would meet their tastes and was overall, beyond accommodating. I'm always reluctant to re-write the menu, but he did and included items not even mentioned, and that impressed me, greatly. That in no way diminishes the service I received because by each member of the staff I encountered, service was truly excellent.

We really can't wait to go back and enjoy this place, again. It was wonderful in every way.

• Visited June 2013