“Food was excellent, waitstaff were excellent and decor was fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Veladora

Veladora
Reserve with OpenTable
Veladora is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rancho Diegueno
Description: Veladora. Where coast meets ranch. Where sun dappled afternoons fade into lantern lit evenings. And where all things fresh, handcrafted and simply delicious reside. Rancho Valencia's captivating new restaurant is now open and serving Coastal Ranch cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner in a stunning modern hacienda setting. An extensive wine menu of over 600 hand selected wines is on hand for sipping and savoring, as well as a welcoming private wine room featuring our rarest bottles for the most special of occasions. Our farm-to-table philosophy is infused throughout Veladora's culinary program, featuring local produce and herbs, flowers and honey cultivated right on property.
None
“Food was excellent, waitstaff were excellent and decor was fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel/resort nestled in the hills above Rancho Santa Fe has been refurbished by the founders of Qualcomm. They have done an amazing job of making it (returning it) into a hacienda style hotel.

The Decor was tasteful, playful and very nice. We sat in a comfortable booth with many pillows to put behind your back. The place was empty when we arrived and there was a mixup in when we could make a reservation but it all worked out. After about an hour the room filled to a comfortable level giving it the right ambiance.

The waitstaff were attentive without being obnoxious. They were all very knowledgable about the menu, room and hotel. Including occupancy rates, etc. This was refreshing that the trained the busboy to the hostess on the details of the hotel. It was excellent service.

The food was amazing. We recently ate at Godron Rasmay's restaurant in London and this beat both the presentation and taste in every way. Portions were large enough to fill you up. My Yellowtail was actually quite big. They served amuse-bouche which was a nice tough and amazingly good. The approach appears to be mixed between focusing on taste and gastro-chemistry like Ferran Adria's El Bulli. There were basil tasting foams, and a deconstructed lobster salad as well as an octopus carpaccio that was assembled like game tiles perfectly placed on the plate. The desserts were excellent as well.

Overall I highly recommend this restaurant. It was a dining experience right in San Diego. This place will start to win accolades and awards so get there quickly before you are shutout of a reservation or they raise the prices.

• Visited July 2013

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“A warm, glowing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband recently attended a conference held at Rancho Valencia in Santa Fe, CA. I went with him for a weekend at the spa, and I dined in Veladora.

Coming from Atlanta--the decor was the first thing to captivate me. It was extremely elegant with attention to every detail, from the extraordinary Damien Hirst butterflies art piece, design of the rustic, open beamed space, an abundance of candles throughout, to the resort's logo tastefully etched on the crystal wine glasses. At breakfast the space is comfortable and roomy. After sunset, the very same environment turns into this glowingly warm ambiance is a cozy, inviting space that invites you to settle in and stay a while. There is no stuffiness or pretense, anywhere.

The food was excellent. It was not only delicious and cooked perfectly, it was gorgeous to look at, as well--especially the vegetable dishes, which were tiny works of art. They use interesting ingredients, such as burrata cheese, nettle pureé, beet dirt and farrow. Perhaps they are common ingredients in California, but they haven't made it to the majority of Atlanta restaurants, yet. They do their own pickling and meat curing, as well. Portions were not huge so I was able to have a starter, entree and dessert--leaving very satisfied and not 'stuffed.' As other reviewers have mentioned, their wine list is extensive and superb.

I've not had service quite like theirs at Veladora. The staff are all very friendly and genuinely seem to want to be there, proud of what they do and so pleased to you are there so they can do it. The waiters were always available if I needed anything, called me by name and were most helpful in guiding me through the menu. In fact, the waiter of the table next to me at one meal was one of the best waiters I've encountered, anywhere: He took an interest in all the details the guests stated as to their preferences for food and was very proactive in suggesting alternatives to the set menu that would meet their tastes and was overall, beyond accommodating. I'm always reluctant to re-write the menu, but he did and included items not even mentioned, and that impressed me, greatly. That in no way diminishes the service I received because by each member of the staff I encountered, service was truly excellent.

We really can't wait to go back and enjoy this place, again. It was wonderful in every way.

Miami, Florida
“Top Notch, Classy Dining Experience Yet Very Quaint & Cozy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Fantastic, all around.

I have been to The Polo Room for cocktails and the best carne asada this side of Mexico (the meat is smoked and marinated for hours) and I just got back from Sunday brunch at Veladora. Incredible. I went for the breakfast table, which included excellent oatmeal, fresh fruits, the best croissants I have had in years, muffins, cheese and top notch salami, and other goodies. For an additional $5, I added on a smaller portion of lemon souffle pancakes with Vermont maple syrup that was out of this world. On another occasion, I had a small plate of their rigatoni with skirt steak at The Polo Room that was quite good as well.

The ambiance is spectacular and the service was very good. Prices were fairly reasonable considering the zip code (fair, not over the top) and valet parking is complimentary. I find the overall experience of Rancho Valencia to be quite a bit more quaint, less ostentatious, and more preferable to the vibe I receive at The Grande Del Mar.

1 Thank elchevere
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,409 helpful votes
“Gorgeous restaurant with excellent service and good food...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a really gorgeous restaurant with great service. I came here for lunch with a friend on Friday and was really pleased with the meal. I live in the area but have never been here before. I easily made a reservation with Opentable.com the same day in the morning and didn't have problems getting in.

The restaurant itself has a very exclusive feel to it. You have to go into a gated community to get to the restaurant so it's good if you have reservations. The restaurant is at the top of the hill and it's really beautiful. They have an outdoor area with tables/chairs with the fireplace going even during the day.

The inside of the restaurant is very nice and cozy. The entire flavor and feel is Mediterranean feeling with Spanish style architecture. My friend has been here before a while back but he said it has been renovated.

They have a pretty good lunch menu with an assortment of things including salads, sandwiches and even a hamburger. My friend got the hamburger and it looked AMAZING! He said it was pretty darn good! It came with an order of fries. I got the Turkey meatball sandwich with fries and it was very good. They have this non-caffeinated ice tea which was quite nice.

Absolutely I'd recommend this place for lunch or dinner. The service is superb. Stephen was our waiter and he was really good constantly checking with us. We were both so stuffed we didn't have dessert but I'm sure they were good.

I'll definitely come back here for dinner with my wife as it's a romantic place. Highly recommended if you're in the area or looking for a special place to eat. There were several businessmen having dinner here. You rarely see people wearing suits in San Diego as it's so laid back but several people in suits here.

2 Thank saintba
Carlsbad, California
“pony bar at rancho valencia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

incredible views and atmosphere...new extensive bar menu has daily specials as well as plenty to choose from at restaurant prices as oppossed to the usual "upped" resort prices. On Friday I had fish and chips for $20 with a great glass of wine for under $10...how can you beat that?

• Visited May 2013