“Talk to the whale census takers!”

The Point Vicente Interpretive Center
Reviewed March 15, 2013

They are dedicated and conversational. Sign their guest book and bring your binoculars during the annual migration. Palos Verde is gorgeous and one can imagine the locals like to keep it their own secret.

At the Interp. Center there's plenty to do. Find our about the history inside the museum. Be sure and take advantage of the very cool gift shop. Hike down to the tidal pools then just a drive up the road to the Wayfarers Chapel.

We really enjoyed this gem.

3  Thank HereThere44

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I only recently discovered the Pt. Vicente Interpretive Center, yet I've lived nearby most of my life. Parking is easy and wasn't too crowded when I went (mid-day on a Friday). The location and views are excellent for whale-watching, and there are picnic facilities for lunch with a view. Inside of the interpretive center there are educational displays about the history of whaling, biology of whales and kelp forests. Best of all (for me!), is that there is an area dedicated to Marineland of the Pacific which used to be nearby. Seeing the "artifacts" from Marineland really took me back and reminded me just how much of my appreciation for the ocean and marine life came from visits to Marineland in my youth. There is also a mini-movie theater type of area that shows a looping video about whales and migration up/down the Pacific coast, and if you ask the staff, they will pop in a Marineland video as an alternative.

Aside from the educational aspects of the place and the amazing views for whale watching, there is also an amphitheater and a banquet area with patio (ocean view) that can be rented out for weddings or other events after 5pm when the interpretive center closes. What a prime location to enjoy!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The park outside this center is just right for me: Walking trails, a breeze most of the time, plenty of local vegetation, incredible views and picnic tables. Once I finally went into the center, after a year of spending time at the park, I was truly surprised. The Interpretive Center is aptly named, as I came to understand the local ecology much better. It gave me a frame of reference, and basic knowledge of the history and geography. It certainly ignited a renewed sense of wanting to protect this amazing place; and the sea-life, plants, and animals that call it home. Drop in and enjoy the Marineland exhibit, too. Now when I'm in the park, I slip them a dollar or two in the donation bin. Let's grow that tradition.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

No whales spotted but a great afternoon out. Just great coastal scenery, nicely understated and a great picnic venue.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We visited during the annual whale watch, and volunteers were having a great time! Although it was very cold, volunteers had been staffing the watch from sunup to dusk since the season had started in December. In addition to a great outdoor viewing area, the Center has wonderful exhibits about the Palos Verdes Peninsula and its surrounding ocean habitat. The Center also sponsors hikes led by trained volunteers/docents throughout the Palos Verdes canyons and to the tide pool areas in Palos Verdes. Great group of people doing a wonderful job to explain the local environment in an understandable manner. We took one of the tidepool tours ~ led by Cindy ~ and had a wonderful time: saw brittle stars, starfish, sea cucumbers, fish, bat stars, anemones, and urchins galore ~ but no octopi during our tour. Be sure to wear waterproof shoes (or ones you don't care about) if you take the tidepool tour, and be sure to wet your hands before handling any wildlife (under the docent's direction only, please!). It's a bit of a hike down to the tidepools, so be prepared for that ~ the path is well marked and clear of major obstructions, but it still down a cliff side! All in all, we had a great day, and would love to live closer so I could do it more often!

1  Thank GlassInMS