“Restful place”

Glass Church / Wayfarers Chapel
More attraction details
Owner description: Overlooking the Pacific coast, this beautiful church was designed by the son of Frank Lloyd Wright.
Bakersfield
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Restful place”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Beautiful and peaceful. Very scene. Absolutely amazing view of the Pacific from here, and you're surrounded by lush landscaping and beautiful roses.

• Korean first
Redondo Beach, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“There's more here than a view of the ocean”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

First of all, let's call the architect by name, rather than saying that he was Frank Lloyd Wright's son. His name was Lloyd Wright.

I was amazed one Christmas Eve, when I went for a candlelight service. It was chilly outside, but when I walked into the chapel, it felt warm and pleasant. I sat down in a pew near the outer wall and discovered warmth coming from the stones and the floor. Ah... radiant heat. But this was built in 1951! (It was dedicated on May 13, 1951.)

I love the utter simplicity and the closeness to nature in this small sanctuary. It's open everyday and people stop in to meditate and to pray. I have done so on numerous occasions. I've brought visitors here and everyone has been enchanted with the serenity. We've all left smiling and feeling uplifted.

The gardens are also lovely.

Visited May 2012
Los Angeles
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“A Great Place to Take Visitors”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The trip to the Wayfarers Chapel is a bit out of the way unless you are visiting the Rancho Palos Verdes peninsula for other reasons. Relatives were visiting and I was running out of ideas, since we had visited so many tourist attractions in the week they were here. I took a chance and drove to the peninsula specifically to show them the Wayfarers Chapel which I had only seen from the outside a few times. I did know that it was often used for scenes in TV and movies, and that it was designed by the son of Frank Lloyd Wright. We were absolutely delighted at this serene and beautiful, mostly glass, structure. It is breathtaking and we snapped tons of pictures of the interior, exterior and the stunning ocean views from the front of the chapel. To add to our pleasure in visiting the Chapel, we dropped by their little gift shop where the most delightful salesperson (English accent) engaged us in pleasant conversation. We hadn’t really expected to buy anything, but to our surprise they had some very unusual items that were very reasonably priced (e.g. candle snuffer in gold or silver, several varieties of charming dinner bells with angel motif, etc.). We purchased some great items. The Wayfarers Chapel is now on my list of places to take visiting firemen.

Manhattan Beach, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beyond spectacular setting!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A one-of-a-kind chapel with a stunning location. Hope to renew our vows here in a few years!

Long Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great wedding destination”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The view from the chapel is awesome. Very quaint and not so church like for people that want to get married in a chapel.

Visited June 2012