“The Way a Business/Pleasure Trip Should Be”
Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My wife and I spent seven days, part work, part leisure, at Terranea. It was beautiful. The room was nice size and the ability to open the door to the balcony every day made it even more pleasurable. The view was spectacular from virtually every angle on the property.

The food from both the Catering Service for our conference, as well as the meals in the restaurants was very, very good. We did not have one bad meal. Drinks are pricey, but the refrigerator in the room allowed for your own beverages and saved some money.

There are walkways all around and carts for you if you don't want to walk. The resort will take you most places on their property if you ask them. They'll also arrange to take you to off-property stores (snacks, drinks, shopping) and pick you up.

Every food and room service person was extremely polite and made you feel comfortable. If you asked for something you got it with a smile. After thanking the staff you always get and a response of "my pleasure." Nice touch.

The people at the desk are cordial but not necessarily friendly which is about the only negative we had. They were still very responsive, but they did have a noticably different demeanor than all the other staff. Another thing we were not used to is, this resort is open to the public to use (restaurants, walking areas), and we were not used to seeing dogs of all sizes on the property. I would prefer to not have partially trained dogs being walked by their owners while I am enjoying my time off, but it's not a show-stopper for me.

Overall, a wonderful experience and one I would do again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Terranea Resort

Reviewed June 12, 2010

Stayed in a 3 bedroom, 3 bath casita for 4 nights in early June. FYI...the 3rd bedroom is not attached but it worked out fine. We stayed in the south end casitas and we had an ocean front room. It was very quiet and fabulous views. You are able to self park at the casitas. Enjoyed lunch at Nelson's one day. Had the seafood buffet ($48) on Friday night and that was very nice. We utilized the kitchen a lot and had breakfast and lunch every day in. The coffee cafe is great for gelato and smoothies. The boys and men played on the 3 par course and really enjoyed it. They tried to play the public course but it is WAY to busy and overcrowded. The family is nice and the kids enjoyed the slide. We booked our room via travelzoo.com and got a heck of a deal.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Just returned from a week long visit. The resort is breathtakingly beautiful. The staff is genuinely caring-you can train someone how to properly set a table, but you can't train someone to truly care. They knocked themselves out. My nine year old daughter thought the pool area was like a water park with a children's tube slide and fountain area. The adult pool sitss directly overlooking the bluffs. For those who don't like stairs, the bungalows are a bit of a hike, albeit quiet with beautiful ocean views. I felt it was good excercise and worked off my culinary indulgences. I have worked for five diamond resorts for over 20 years and I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2010

My husband and I decided to take advantage of the long Memorial Holiday and booked an upstairs bungalow, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, and patio with a fireplace. We only stay at 5 star hotels and this place was very disappointing in comparison to many other hotels we have stayed. We arrived on Friday anticipating a long relaxing weekend. Our room overlooked the pool and we had to listen to a generator from the pool area for hours on end. The next day I wanted to make some coffee for us to enjoy on the patio. When I open the coffee pot, ants poured out. I called housekeeping and they did/could not understand what I was talking about, I hang up and called the Concierge. To make a long story short eventually someone came to clean our room, took the coffeemaker, never returned with another one, and never offered us anything for the inconvenience. This place in my opinion is only average, with great ocean views. Nothing luxurious about the place.

Reviewed June 7, 2010

So this is interesting - we stayed at Terranea for one night before taking off to Maui to stay at the Four Seasons Wailea, giving me the unique opportunity to compare the two properties. First, I will start by saying Palos Verdes in no way compares, as a destination, to Maui because there really isn't much to do there unless you love golf, so lets just take that out of the equation for these purposes. Overall, Terranea is a beautiful property with gorgeous, spacious rooms and bathrooms. The spanking brand newness is a plus, was my free upgrade to an ocean view room, but I think the upgrade had more to do with the low capacity at the hotel that night than anything else. The adult pool was definitely a nice experience, and no one tried to charge me extra for claiming one of the beach facing chairs right at the edge (see prior reviews). Although our service was good, for the price you pay, Terranea needs some more work to get to the Four Seasons-esque level. At the Four Seasons, the staff knows guests by name, and goes beyond courteous to the point where you never want to stay at another hotel - ever. In sum, at these prices, some hotels seem to abide by the rule that nice and pretty is just not enough, and Terranea needs to work on that, or lower its prices. Additionally, I felt the resort was a bit nickel/dimey, e.g. the business center ripoff for internet/printing. But, overall, a good experience.

Reviewed June 3, 2010

This resort took my breath away! It was the most romantic and beautiful resort I'd ever been to. The only thing i missed was actually having a beach to lay out on. It was positioned on a cliff so there weren't any beaches on the resort but luckily if you drove a couple of miles off, there was plenty of beach. It is an amazing resort to go to if you just want to "GET AWAY" and what's best is they have an ADULT ONLY pool which I absolutely loved! The beds were like sleeping on clouds. I hadn't slept that well in months. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2010

The view of the ocean from the room was undeniably beautiful. However, for $450 a night we expected more than a typical hotel room ( no sitting area and a balcony that could hardly accommodate two people comfortably.Besides, the grounds are open to the public( making it very noisy) and one could enjoy the same view while walking or sitting on a bench for free! My husband and I felt price gouged the entire stay
( booked for 2, but only stayed 1). $30.00 per day to park your car own car ( more for valet) and $15.00 oatmeal to mention a few!
Bottom line: Just not worth the expense.

1  Thank lover4vino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!