“Perfect for anyone... including parents!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, CA
“Perfect for anyone... including parents!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2010

I rarely leave reviews, but I just have to rave about our stay here during Easter Week. First off, the resort is new, and very tastefully decorated. Surrounded by water, it has the feel of island, a cruise ship and a nature preserve all in one. Very very peaceful. Very nestled away from the hustle and bustle of LA.

We have a kindergartner who absolutely loves the water amenities - the slide, pool and fountains.. not to forget the private beach cove. But most of all, Terranea gave us parents some quality alone time as they have a QUALITY children's program (called tide pool) where you can drop the kids off for 1/2 day - in the evening or in the morning that includes a meal. Very cool and well worth it. We drop him off and go to dinner. Hats off to Toni their teacher who did a extraordinary job connecting with the kids and keeping them well entertained. In fact, the kids didn't want to leave the tide pool activity center when we came to pick them up.

We'll be back... very soon!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank newhomebroker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stayed in a two-bedroom ocean view casita over Easter weekend. The casita was great for a family of 5, full kitchen, washer and dryer, balcony, fireplace, lots of room. Big bedrooms, big bathrooms. The service was great, the food was excellent, the resort pool was great fun (it's saltwater), and the location is amazing. Lots of walking trails, beautiful beaches, and views to die for. Would definitely return and definitely recommend.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Terranea Resort in Feb 2010 en route to Las Vegas. Terranea Resort is breathtakingly beautiful and cosy, we felt totally at home and relaxed and we were glad there wasn't a strict dress code at this 5 star resort!

We stayed in the casita and it had a working fireplace in the living room and another one outside our room in the patio. Our room had a fantastic view of the golfing green and the Pacific Ocean. It was bright, breezy, clean and spacious. I wouldn't expect less from Terranea for the price we paid.

Breakfast by the pool was good, albeit pricey. It was such a treat to sit by the pool and have breakfast in great california weather. We switched to the cafe Sea Beans for a more affordable breakfast after.

The coastal walk is a must-do. The view is just gorgeous.

Slight hiccup at check-in. They couldn't find our reservation twice (we stayed before we headed to and came back from vegas). When they finally did, they gave us key cards that didn't work so we had to wait outside in the cold while the porter drove back to the lobby in the buggy. On both occasions.

Overall Terranea Resort is simply gorgeous and I want to move there if I can!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
SoCal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

I am writing with RAVE reviews of my first stay at the lovely Terranea Resort which I visited last weekend. Pulling up to Valet the resort looked busy with many happy guests checking in next to us being whisked off to their rooms. We were greeted with a delicious treat and anniversary wishes shortly after arriving in our room, then walked the grounds, watched the sunset and had drinks at Nelsons- a very popular spot for guests and locals.

We later dined at Mar'sel, where we had the most helpful and knowledgeable gentleman waiting on us- we enjoyed the Wagyu Ribeye and Seabass and had the best table out on the patio- it just had to be the best seat in the house. The Sunday was bustling with a busy pool scene and we also enjoyed Catalina Kitchens absolute best eggs benedict I have ever had with that dollop of truffle on top!

I am already planning another trip back, this time with a group of girls to enjoy your spa!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

My husband, son (22 months) and I had a wonderful experience at the resort!

ROOMS: Our room had an ocean view with a balcony. The bathroom was large with a large bathtub and separate shower. The bed was very comfortable. The room was a good size and well decorated. There were many cable channels, free WIFI, and a docking station for ipod/MP3 player.

DINING: We ate at 4 of the hotel eateries. **Mar'sel is the high-end restaurant. We had the tasting menu which was a reasonable $85 per person and was excellent. The service was outstanding as well. **We also ate at The Terranea Grill and Nelson's. Both of these had good service and good food. We actually saw whales in the ocean while we were dining at Nelson's. I don't think these restaurants take reservations and the wait can get long. **Sea Beans is their coffee house/bakery. We had some good desserts and a good breakfast there. Staff was very nice. **POOL food - this was the only negative experience we had. The pool food was bland and the service was slow. I would suggest getting something To-Go at Sea Beans (they have lunch sandwiches) and bringing to the pool.

STAFF: The staff was very friendly and attentive. And it felt genuine.

LOCATION: The resort sits on a bluff overlooking the ocean. Beautiful views pretty much wherever you are. In April, the sun was playing peek-a-boo with strong breezes at night. I think the weather probably would be perfect in the summer. There are some nice trails along the bluff that are great for little kids.

Overall, we had a great time!

Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

Terranea is relatively close to LAX and other Southern California attractions. However, it is a world apart from Southern California urban sprawl. The rooms at Terranea are adequate for what aims to be a world-class destination resort, but they are not what will attract you to Terranea. What makes the resort exceptional are the incredible ocean views, landscape, and feeling of spaciousness. The resort also appears to have a great variety of activities such as kayaking, golf, hiking and biking, which looked popular, but I did not have enough time to partake. I did get to experience the spa. It is "best in class". It has the best location on the resort and you definitely need to visit it if only to sit poolside and stare at the ocean views. The adjoining fitness facility was roomy and beautiful, but a little spare on weight machines. From there you can take a short stroll and visit Nelson's bar and grill on the property which has an equally amazing view. I would improve a few things. I was somewhat surprised that the resort did not have tennis courts on site, but I heard that they are available nearby. I was disappointed that my "ocean front" room looked across a wide lawn, and a well-traveled pedestrian path before it gave me a view down the coast . It would have been ok had it not been on a lower floor and given me the feeling that the pedestrian path looked into my room . I ended up changing it for an "ocean view" room, at a lower rate, on the other side of the hotel which I liked better. The room balconies are small, but we were able to sit outside and enjoy the sunset from there. The room and bathroom were not as large as I thought they should be, but overall they were very functional, comfortable, quiet and perfectly fine -- just not over the top. Although the resort caters to weddings and large groups, the attentive staff and well designed resort layout made it perfectly comfortable for just the two of us. I have been to other Southern California ocean resorts -- Bacara, Montage, Del Coronado, Ritz Carlton -- and I rate Terranea equal to, if not superior to all of them.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traveller90210
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

We stayed there this past week. (March 20 - 23)

We thought it was very easy to get there if you have a GPS or iPhone.

In our eyes we got a good deal on the resort. $175.00 a night via Travelzoo. We did have to pay a $20.00 self-parking fee, but no resort fee.

When we pulled up in our rented Ford Flex we felt like we were staying in a Super High-End place as we saw a Bentley, BMW, Jag, and Mercedes in the great looking entrance.

I chose self-parking as it was only $20.00 vs the $30.00 valet service. You have to barely walk at all, so I would recommend it. Once I said I wanted to do self-parking the guy was totally helpful and even took my keys and parked my car on the side next to the Bentley for me to park myself when I was done checking in. I was surprise how nice he was... Started off with a very good impression and made me feel like if the snooty richy rich stayed here... it was good for me!

The bellman took up my bags and 1st got me a room with no view at all. Of the 550 rooms they have he told me they have 4 rooms that are crap and I got put in one of them. He then called to the front desk and asked is room 2141 was available, because there was a tree blocking part of the view, but it was like a free upgrade to a partial view but was still on the same level as the lowest tier they had. So, I recommend that if you don't like your view to tell them... They have TONS of rooms... they should give you a good one if your staying there.

The grounds are amazing there! We walked around alot and just enjoyed the views in the mornings.

We ate onsite 3 times. 2 times at Nelson's where we had the specials there. Great burger for $9.00, and an enchilada for $12.00. We also ate breakfast at the main dinning area. The Sunday buffet was $28.00 and the food was great! My wife had a 2 eggs sausage & hashbrowns for $15.00. It was very spendy for breakfast, but we thought that the breakfast was worth the splurge.

We were planning on only sleeping at the resort and going on day-trips each day up north, but we we were so impressed with the resort and it's beauty that we stayed the whole day there on Sunday... We took advantage of the great Gym and my wife took part in the SPA. For 90 minutes of a deep tissue massage it was $240.00. They have a mandatory 20% tip that is added in, so it cost us $294.00 for the service.

The SPA also had a private Sauna, steam room, relaxation area, cold tub, hot tub, and lounge area overlooking the ocean. There was a private set of amenities for guys and gals. If you get a service there you can take advantage of these all day. If you choose to only take advantage of these with no SPA treatment it costs $40.00. So, if you are having a SPA treatment, I recommend you take advantage of all the freebies for the day and soak in as much as you can., since the SPA treatments are quite high, but my wife said she felt like a queen and it was like she had the whole area to herself to be pampered.

I am a bigger dude that normally like swim-up bars and lots of entertainment. There was none of this type of stuff. It was more of a zen like retreat where you can share take advantage of Yoga and Pilates and hang out in the hot tub and chill by the fire pits in the evenings. In the great robs they provide you. I did take advantage of both Yoga and Pilates for the 1st time. For Yoga we had my wife, some gal & myself in the class, and just my wife and I in the Pilates class. It was like having a private lesson.

Overall... I would give it a 5-Star rating... Yes... Ice was kinda a pain to get... and there was no In & Out Burger across the road... But to me it felt like it was one of those high-end health resorts you see on the travel channel. I highly recommend it. Go there while the price is still low on this place as once it gets busier I am sure the cost will get closer ot that $430.00 rack rate.

This would be a great place for a wedding!!!

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank The_Travel_Critics
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!