I've been to Terranea twice--and the first time was obviously good enough to cause me to want to go back. I wouldn't say it's a five-star property like the Grand Del Mar (San Diego) but it's a pretty solid getaway in a lovely location.
My biggest advice: go with the right person!
On my first trip, my best friend and I got a special room rate, and the room was huge and right one the water. I mean, when we had the patio door open at night, the sound of the surf was glorious. The room was lovely, the bathroom well-appointed and marble, and we felt like the value was terrific too.
We took advantage of lots of things the property has to offer: great restaurants, nice walking paths, a tour of the hotel's curated art, and a nearby lighthouse with a neat tour. Basically, we really enjoyed our two nights.
The downside was that there was a long delay between the time we checked in and when the room was available (and we did NOT arrive before check-in time). And the food at the upscale restaurant was overdone and fussy. No matter. The weekend was a very nice one.
One my second visit, I surprised my significant other with a one-night getaway. Unfortunately, he decided to act like a spoiled sport and spent the ENTIRE 24 HOURS in the room sleeping and watching old episodes of Pawn Stars. Can you imagine? I had spent extra money getting a room with a full ocean view, which totally went to waste. The gorgeous marble tub went unused. The property went unexplored. None of this was the fault of Terranea, however; I should have chosen a better travel partner.
I'd really recommend Terranea for a local getaway for LA folks: you'll feel like you escaped the city for a night or two.
There will be a couple of bumps in the road, but nothing you can't handle. Just don't take my significant other with you! Or take him--and don't bring him back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of conference and meeting space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular Farm-to-Terranea dining venues, a world-class spa, four oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole par-3 golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes