“Just go with the right person”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Just go with the right person”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

I've been to Terranea twice--and the first time was obviously good enough to cause me to want to go back. I wouldn't say it's a five-star property like the Grand Del Mar (San Diego) but it's a pretty solid getaway in a lovely location.

My biggest advice: go with the right person!

On my first trip, my best friend and I got a special room rate, and the room was huge and right one the water. I mean, when we had the patio door open at night, the sound of the surf was glorious. The room was lovely, the bathroom well-appointed and marble, and we felt like the value was terrific too.

We took advantage of lots of things the property has to offer: great restaurants, nice walking paths, a tour of the hotel's curated art, and a nearby lighthouse with a neat tour. Basically, we really enjoyed our two nights.

The downside was that there was a long delay between the time we checked in and when the room was available (and we did NOT arrive before check-in time). And the food at the upscale restaurant was overdone and fussy. No matter. The weekend was a very nice one.

One my second visit, I surprised my significant other with a one-night getaway. Unfortunately, he decided to act like a spoiled sport and spent the ENTIRE 24 HOURS in the room sleeping and watching old episodes of Pawn Stars. Can you imagine? I had spent extra money getting a room with a full ocean view, which totally went to waste. The gorgeous marble tub went unused. The property went unexplored. None of this was the fault of Terranea, however; I should have chosen a better travel partner.

I'd really recommend Terranea for a local getaway for LA folks: you'll feel like you escaped the city for a night or two.

There will be a couple of bumps in the road, but nothing you can't handle. Just don't take my significant other with you! Or take him--and don't bring him back!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view NOT overlooking the pool (those rooms are too noisy)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ale3940

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We recently stayed at Terranea for the third time. We first stayed there when the resort first opened--right into the stock market crash--and our second visit was a year later. It was very quiet and we could feel, and empathized with, the concern of the anxious staff. We loved it both times and hoped for its success.

Fast forward to 2014--WOW! It was PACKED when we returned the third time. At least two weddings, two corporate off-sites and lots of locals spending the weekend. On the one hand, this is great. Terranea is a success and deserves to be. It's a gorgeous property with excellent service. On the other hand, both the resort and incoming guests have to deal with a packed house. On arrival, we spent a good 20 minutes in a long line of cars inching their way up to the entrance, and similarly had to wait for our valet-parked car on departure even though we'd called ahead for it. The valet guys are great and work hard; it's just that the circular drive at the entrance isn't big enough to accommodate all that traffic. After turning the car over to the valets, we encountered another long line to check in. And there were no spa appointments available.

We still had a great time, staying in a king room with unobstructed views of the pacific and Catalina. But next time we'll do a few things differently--we will of necessity book spa appointments and other reservations well in advance, particularly if we're planning to be there on a weekend. And we will self-park. I believe at some point I saw golf carts taking people from the self-parking lots to the front door, but we weren't told about that service when asked whether we wanted to self-park or valet park. The staffer coordinating parking as cars approach the hotel should offer that information, as I think it would relieve some of the crunch at the front door. It would have changed our decision-- with several bags, we chose to valet park but if we'd known we could get a lift from the self-parking area and get out of that line, we'd have done that (assuming the carts run frequently).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank AnjVW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Terranea is touted as a 5-star resort but it is more in line with a 4-star experience. The Grand Del Mar in San Diego, another 5-star property, was far and away much better.

My husband and I checked in on a Friday night with our dog. They knew we were celebrating a wedding anniversary and upgraded us to a suite with a beautiful ocean view and gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne. After reading other reviews it seems like they do suite upgrades and champagne quite often but it was a very nice gesture nevertheless. Nothing special for the dog but that's not a big deal. For comparison's sake, at the Grand Del Mar they made our pup feel like a 5-star guest too by giving her a dog bed and food/water bowls.

The property is huge. Walking to our room felt like a maze. Once we got to the room the first thing we noticed was the intoxicating smell of smoke. It was so strong that even the bellhop commented on it. The carpet was snagged and stained. We thought this was due to it being a "pet friendly room", but the room we had at the Grand Del Mar was also pet friendly and had pristine carpet. We checked in very late (past midnight) so did not want to switch rooms at that hour and tried to tolerate the smell for the duration of our stay but I could not sleep because even the sheets and pillows smelled like smoke. We called the next morning to see if they could switch us to another room. I didn't care if we had to switch to a regular room just so long as we could get into a room that didn't reek of smoke. Thankfully they were able to move us down the hall to another a suite with an even better view imo (even though they told us it wasn't as good). The rooms also don't seem to be consistently stocked or kept. In the first room there was a plastic bag in one of the bathroom compartments that was not cleaned out; in the second room there were no complimentary bottles of water as in the first room. The carpet was in much better condition in the second room though and we actually had hot water in the second room unlike the first, so it was a good change... until the next morning when we were rudely awakened by a mother yelling at her kid and crying baby. Not sure if it was next door to us or above us, but it was loud. Paper thin walls. During the day you could also hear dogs barking in other rooms from our suite.

This property is teeming with dogs because a lot of people who aren't staying at the resort bring their dogs here for lunch and walk the trail or property. If this is something that bothers you I wouldn't recommend staying here. Another thing to note is that even though they say that pet friendly rooms are restricted to first floor rooms only with direct access to the lawn, we saw several dogs up on second floor balconies. Not sure if guests snuck those dogs in or if they're lax with their pet rules, but we were annoyed about it, thinking we could have stayed on a higher floor with our dog if they aren't willing to enforce their pet policies.

Saturday morning had breakfast at Catalina Kitchen. Opted for a la carte dining instead of the buffet. The eggs benedict and belgian waffle were very good.

Our stay coincided with Mother's Day weekend and it was a madhouse on Sunday. The valet service took forever and was very disorganized. Our idea of a quiet weekend getaway was tarnished by the hordes of people here. You should have seen the pool area! We got spa services and couldn't even enjoy the spa pool before our massages because every lounge chair was taken.

The concierge is useless. My husband called them on Saturday to find out what the breakfast options were for Sunday because we were told Catalina Kitchen was fully booked for Mother's Day. Concierge told him we could make a reservation for Bashi and that there would be an omelette and pancake station there. We made reservations for 9:45am and woke up earlier just to go to breakfast. When we got to Bashi, we found out that it was only a continental breakfast, so needless to say we were pretty annoyed. The Bashi hostess told us that the pancake station was actually near Sea Beans, so we mosied on over there and the line was really long. There is also not much seating nearby so most people take their plates of food elsewhere on the property to eat it. When we discovered there was food inside Sea Beans as well, we just decided to order a breakfast burrito and some coffee to go. I have no idea why the concierge didn't bother telling us Sea Beans was an option.

Overall, I give the staff an "A" for effort, but everything is executed rather poorly. I don't think the facilities or the service are even remotely worth the cost. Food is too expensive. Although the view is gorgeous, it doesn't make up for the shortcomings. Kudos to Kimberly at check-in, Sean at Catalina Kitchen, John in valet, and the bellhops for providing excellent service, the few bright stars at this resort with so many inconsistencies. I appreciate how they handled the issues we had and they did not charge us a pet fee, but regret that we had those issues in the first place. These aren't the kinds of issues one should expect from a 5-star resort.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gellibelly
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

My son and I live in Los Angeles and decided to take a nearby "stay cation" getaway to
this resort. Overall it was a good experience and I will try it again, there were a few odd
things we experienced however. The pool area was a walmart shopper frenzy of trying
to secure lounge chairs, I would never expect to experience this in an Los Angeles area
resort. My son and I had taken one empty chair in the morning and put our belongings on
it, left for ten minutes to go to the bathroom and get a smoothie and upon returning our
belongings were gone. Found out a woman and her baby took 3 chairs, dumped my belongings
on a nearby table. I went to the pool area manager who was very sheepish as the woman
who had 3 chairs for herself, her infant and her husband who apparently was eventually coming
began to curse at me from 8 feet away. It was an extremely bizarre experience. Management
allowed her to keep 3 chairs even though there is supposedly a "no savings chairs" policy....and a pool boy took pity on me and got a broken chair out of storage and set it up in the lawn area so
my son and I could share it. Please understand I am paying over $500 per night for this....I also
notice other examples of just rude guests at this place, being discourteous with one another
in general, I am not sure if that is just a symptom of a busy weekend at this place or just the
type of clientele the place attracts. The restaurants for breakfast at this resort were just a
straight-up nightmare, crowded, long waits, cold food, over stretched staff who could not
cope. Last sour note: the pool slide which was a big draw for my son was apparently
not fully functional...not enough water coming down the slide so it was less a "slide" then
a "crawl"...kids had to push themselves all the way down the slide and management couldn't
spare a person to man the top and bottom of the slide on such a busy weekend so the line
was held at the bottom of the huge stairway to the top by the single employee and one person
would run to the top of the stairs, slide down and then the single employee at the bottom would
see the person finishing their slide and allow the next person to run all the way up to the top
of the slide for their turn...this made the line way longer than it needed to be. Outside of those
odd observations for my first time here on the positive side I will say the hotel itself, grounds and
setting were lovely. I will try this resort out again just to see if the off-notes were just due to
a busy weekend.

Room Tip: We stayed in the casitas which were a good size, far enough from the maddening crowd and nicely ma...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank jill d
Culver City, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were excited to come to Terranea for an adult Mother's Day getaway. We got a babysitter and headed down for some r & r. Our experience there was so stressful that we checked out right away. Clearly the hotel was overwhelmed. There was traffic to get in and nobody to help us figure out where to check in. We were offered an upgrade and then the offer was rescinded because the room was no longer available. We were given an "ocean view casita" which was a cottage in the middle of the parking lot. Cars surrounded us and we had to walk to get to our ocean view. We called to change rooms and were told a bellman was on his way. We waited quite a while and finally gave up and went to the lobby. There was no apology or offer for help. I had wasted a couple of hours of my special time. Exasperated, I gave up, got a refund and left. After a long wait for our car, we drove away with me crying. Happy Mothers Day.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank emilyplayz
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Emily,
Happy Mother’s Day to you! First and foremost we want you to know that we are very sorry to read about your experience at our property. While holiday weekends are typically a very bustling time for us at the resort, our popularity is in no way an excuse for the service you received, and for that we are truly sorry. Providing the very best customer experience is our main concern and we are disheartened to read that our service standards were not displayed during your visit. We accept full responsibility for our mistakes and we can only hope that you will accept our deepest apologies. We hope that despite your short visit, you were able to enjoy your Mother’s Day. If there is anything else we can do or any additional details that you would like to share; please send us a direct message at any time or email us at terraneasocial (at) destinationhotels .com.
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed at Terranea Resort over the holidays, and had a wonderful and relaxing time. We arrived on New Year's Day, and even though it was a holiday, our room was ready on time and there were plenty of valets and bellmen to help us with our car and luggage. The service at this property, from check-in to housekeeping to service at the restaurants was all top notch. We ate at two of their restaurants and they were both very good. There are plenty of restaurants on the property, luckily, because the resort is pretty isolated with only a very small town a few miles away.

Our room was nice, but the "ocean view" was a view across other buildings, with the water quite far away. Also, the carpet was a bit worn in the room. Otherwise, everything else was fabulous. The property itself is absolutely beautiful! There is a fantastic walking path all along the ocean, with a lighthouse at one end. We saw a lot of porpoises each day from the walking path! The sunset views there are also amazing. If you are looking for a nice quiet resort that you don't have to leave for a couple of days, this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Right after my husband and I got married, we watched a movie called "This is 40" - not a super happy movie for newlyweds, we learned, but in the movie, the main characters go to the most beautiful resort for a getaway weekend - and we fell in love with it and knew that's where we wanted to spend our first wedding anniversary. I looked forward to it all year - and we were not disappointed! The resort is absolutely breathtaking - I wish we'd spent more time there than we did. The ocean is everywhere, and their pools overlook the ocean. The resort isn't really around anything else, so you feel secluded, which we enjoyed. Our experience was excellent from the get go - the reservations agent who I spoke with was friendly and told me about the property - I had a question for the concierge and he was with a guest but instead of keeping me on hold, took my number down and called me back immediately - making (and changing, and then cancelling) brunch reservations was also a breeze.

We checked in on Sunday, April 6th - they had no problem accommodating our early check-in. The valet helped us bring our things inside and got us champagne as we waited in line. We'd brought the top tier of our wedding cake and they stored it for us in their fridges. We were upgraded to a suite, which was HUGE and gorgeous. It had two balconies, a living room, a gigantic bathroom with a big soaking bathtub that I took advantage of, and the bed was so comfortable! We had to call for a couple things (requests, not things that should have been in the room) and the operators were friendly and the runners were quick. We had a friend come to take anniversary photos of us that Sunday evening and we walked around the property for around an hour taking photos. There's this little area with wildflowers growing right by the beach that we loved - and the private beach is spectacular. If you're looking for a spot to take family photos or engagement photos, this is a great place to do it. After the photos, my husband and I had our anniversary dinner at Catalina Kitchen and we LOVED it - the bellman had recommended their finer dining restaurant Mar'Sel for our anniversary, but after comparing the menus we felt that Catalina Kitchen had more things we'd like to eat. I'll write another review specific to the restaurant but we both had the filet mignon and it was delicious. The restaurant is large and very modern-looking - very much our style and we felt comfortable having dinner there. We also had lunch on Sunday and breakfast the next morning at Sea Beans, which is their on-site café. The food there is impressive for a cafe - I had grilled cheese with chicken and fresh-made house chips and my husband had this skirt steak sandwich that he LOVED. Plus they have gelato and a HUGE selection of desserts!!

We spent some time Monday morning at the adult pool - the only thing I didn't like about our stay was the adult pool was actually closed but we didn't know that - we were able to get in with our room key and had spent about 15 minutes there when someone from engineering told us we needed to leave as the pool was supposed to be closed for maintenance. We went over to the family pools which was fine but we definitely would have preferred spending our morning at Cielo Point (adult pool.)

I work at a resort and used to work at the front desk so I have very high expectations when I stay at hotels - all in all, Terranea surpassed every one of them. We looked forward to our stay for almost our entire first year of marriage and it was everything we wanted. We will absolutely come back for Sunday brunch and the spa - the price is definitely high but we felt that it's worth the money. When you're married, weekend getaways are an investment to your relationship - so spend the money and enjoy a weekend at Terranea!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,120 reviews
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!