Took a weekend spa package at Terranea between Christmas and New Year for a little R&R. The property is really lovely. Very well maintained and well located, right on the bluff overlooking the ocean. Check in was good, valet and bell service excellent. We had an unfortunate incident regarding the cleaning of the bathroom which we discovered when we got to the room, which was - let's just say - unfortunately incomplete. I mention this for two reasons; first in all honesty it's part of the service to expect that that doesn't happen when paying the kind of money we're paying for the stay. But more importantly, to acknowledge the response of the management, which was outstanding. After notifying the front desk, we had a visit from the desk manager, who seemed genuinely mortified and showed us two options for a room change, one of which was an available suite. We stuck with our original room class, which was an Ocean View king, which is a nicely appointed room with a really nice view of the ocean and sunrise. The management also threw in a resort credit for the trouble, which was good. In short, the response made up for the issue and we were left with the impression that our experience in the first room was a genuine aberration. So on we went with our weekend. We had two days to enjoy the spa, and had booked two couples massages, one for each day. The spa itself is very nice, probably the best of any along the coast from San Diego up to LA that I have been at. It's largely segregated (which, being European still seems odd, but that's the norm in the US, I guess), with good amenities on each side; sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, but with a nice pool just for the spa, and a great patio with a view out over the ocean. Added bonus was that this weekend was the biggest whale migration weekend of the year to date, so we had a full show of whales, seals and dolphins all afternoon, right off the bluff. The massage room was nicely appointed, and the massages were decent, although one was significantly better than the other.
We ate lunch at the spa both days and it was good and the servers were very pleasant. We had dinner the first night at Mar'Sel, which was very good indeed. Good service, good food and a very decent wine list. Highly enjoyable. We had a quick drink and a burger on the way out the next day at Nelson's as well. Typical bar food. Exactly as expected. In-room breakfast was also very good, and unusually for room service food, was actually hot on arrival!
So, all in all, despite a rocky start, we had a really nice time at Terranea, and we will go back. Kudos to Lee, the manager who responded so well to the initial issue, and to management in general, who really seem to pay attention to detail on the property. This is not an inexpensive place to spend a few days, but it was worth it. I have only one question, which I have for all high end US hotel/resorts, which is; What is the purpose of the "Resort Fee"? I really don't understand it. It always feels like stealth taxation at the end of a stay. We're already paying not insignificant amounts for the pleasure of being at the property and using the amenities. If you need to raise the price $30 per day, just put it in the room rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of conference and meeting space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular Farm-to-Terranea dining venues, a world-class spa, four oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole par-3 golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Prestigia, Hotwire, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Priceline, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes