“Good, not great”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bethesda, Maryland
“Good, not great”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Everything about Terranea is good, but nothing is superlative. Perhaps its biggest advantage is proximity to LAX, for those of us who are visiting from the east coast. Service is friendly and responsive. Restaurants are good but not spectacular. A nice place to spend a weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Alex,
Thank you for your review. We realize that there is always room for improvement and we hope you can help us by providing additional information. If you can please direct message us or send us an email with some of your suggestions, we would really appreciate hearing from you. Our email is terraneasocial (at) destinationhotels.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed at Terranea Resort for 10 days on a business trip. It was amazing, the service is spotless, room extremely comfortable, the bathroom is huge, and I mean HUGE, had a blindex shower and a spa bathtub with bath salts and oils included as a nice treat.
The views are breathtaking, my room had an ocean view and a nice little balcony. The resort is big enough that I could go for long jogs each morning, it had a gym too. I got a deep tissue massage in the spa that was like one of the best massages I ever had.
After a tough day of work, the heater/ac wasn't working properly in my room, I contacted the front desk and they quickly sent someone who fixed the problem in my room in like 20 minutes.

It is kind of a remote area, not too much going on in the area, but the place has like 5 restaurants and room service which is delicious too!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear tatirochais,
We appreciate your review. Thank you for visiting Terranea. We look forward to welcoming you back one day!
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend this summer and had a great experience. We live in LA so was only a short 1-2 hour drive away and we were on the beautiful bluffs at Rancho Palos Verdes. Service was great and the rooms were clean and well furnished. Only complaint is that value isn't quite what you might get at other resorts, but that is to be expected given the location and market segment.

All in all a great resort.

Room Tip: They offer 2 nights get the third free specials quite often. Look out for them!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Terrananea Resort: Monday June 3 2013

In the late evening I paid and waited to collect my vehicle we waited over
fifteen minutes for the valet to drop it off at the front of the hotel.

The valet eventually dropped my car off and all the car windows were up except
the front passenger window which was down by six or seven inches.

Immediately after discovering the passenger window would not close I returned to
the valet.

To our horror the valet manager attempted to physically reconfigure the window
into the closed position.I told him it would not help and would further damage
the closing mechanism of the window. Never the less he ignored my pleas and
continued to grapple with the task at hand, unsuccessfully I may add.

After he finished wrestling with the window he proceeded to further insult my
intelligence by informing me that the vehicle in his opinion had an electrical
problem.

His explanation left me thoroughly perplexed.
At this point I felt it necessary to inform him that my car has a full BMW
licensed service history and was recently professionally serviced by my
certified BMW garage and was in perfect working order until it entered his valet
service at the Terrananea Resort.

I would expect this response from someone in a cheap motel, maybe a valet
service in a public parking with no supervision not from someone employed by a
five star hotel.

Today I am in possession of a brief unapologetic noncommittal statement from the
valet representative which I received after I called them several times.

The flippant response from the valet service still does not tell me if my car
was broken into or if it was the fault of one of their employees. No apology was
given and no monetary compensation was offered not even a refund of my parking
fee.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank LexCommunis
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 7, 2013

What a magnificent LA "escape". Just a quick half hour drive (traffic dependent) from the city and boy, do you feel like you are a million miles away! You are greeted at reception with a glass of champagne. We decided to enjoy ours on the gorgeous veranda overlooking the Pacific. The rooms are beautifully decorated- clean and spacious- as you would expect from a hotel at this level. Rooms aside, what is the most appealing about this resort is the "all inclusiveness" of it. There is no need to ever leave the resort for a 2-3 day stay (or longer!). It's an enormous property with lots of "destinations" within. There are 3 pools, all with a different personality. We were there with an older teenage daughter so chose to hang at the adult pool one day- Contemporary vibe, almost Vegas style just quieter and more luxurious. Next two days after using the spa and gym, we used the spa pool. Very quiet, relaxing music, huge pool, amazing pool side service for food an drink (at all pools). Spa and Gym are top notch, so clean, what a pleasure! We golfed, walked (there is a trail around the entire property) and swam every day. Just note, there is no beach here. Its all cliff and rock, but stunning nevertheless. I believe you are on the most promontory point in So. Cal. with amazing Catalina views. There are multiple restaurants on the property. Nelson's is the casual ocean front beach bar/cafe. We made a point to have a drink here every night just to enjoy the fire pit at sunset even if we didn't eat here. So this brings me to my one small complaint about the overall experience. The food. Don't get me wrong, the food ranges from pretty good at the casual dining areas to quite good at the fine dining room, I was just looking for excellent. Based on everything else at this resort, I was expecting stellar meals, especially for the prices. That was not the case. We did not eat at the Asian restaurant. It was brand new when we were visiting. My one piece of advice would be to skip the fine dining restaurant and try the others. I still dont think its worth going off the property to eat- its just so relaxing to stay put. If you need a quick break from the LA grind, Terranea is just what the doctor ordered! We came home refreshed and relaxed.

Room Tip: Ocean view is obviously the best but views around the entire property are nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LOS ANGELES, CA
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night at the Terranea resort to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us in our ocean view room. We loved the resort. We enjoyed the food at the restaurants. Everything was great except the bed was awful. It was too soft. We were both were rolling off the ends and had back aches in the morning. We would like to return to the resort but it's unfortunate not to get a good night's sleep for the steep price.

• Stayed October 2013
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We were looking for a hotel in L.A., and were looking at different options in West Hollywood, and Beverly Hills, and we found the Terranea Resort in our search options as well, even with it being a little further out from town. And I'm so glad we did! The resort is absolutely beautiful, and still close to town if you want to go do stuff in town. Service was awesome, and the view of the water and island is breathtaking to wake up to each day. You arrive at the hotel and are greeted by name, and with champagne as well. The room is huge, and spotless. Housekeeping comes to your room twice a day for service and everyone you encounter is extremely friendly. I saw two pools that were barely used by guests, both of which were heated, which was awesome, and there's plenty of hiking options as well. The rooms are a good value for what you get. I booked multiple travel options (two hotels and two round-trip plane tickets) through Expedia and got a great deal. Restaurants were just ok, and a little pricey. I'd venture out a little for food options if I came back. The spa cafe was good for a quick breakfast ($6 for a breakfast burrito, and $14-$15 for other sandwich options). Coffee was $2.50, and refills were $1, which I thought was a little stupid since you were serving it yourself from a coffee cart and everything else was so pricey. Definitely keep this place in your options for hotels in the L.A. area, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Definitely splurge for an ocean-view balcony room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Westside
Hotel Bel-Air
Hotel Bel-Air
#1 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!