First I'll say that you will want for nothing at this property. It is its own village. It's beautiful, relaxing, and you feel like you really are getting away from it all. It has an expansive layout and they work hard to allow those with kids to enjoy a kid-friendly atmosphere and those without them to be able to almost completely forget that it's a kid-friendly resort. I haven't even mentioned the food---absolutely delicious. Every meal was fantastic with only one minor exception (but I think that had more to do with the fact that my husband didn't truly understand what kind of dish Huevos Rancheros was). And the spa....first rate absolutely. And if my massage therapist Jose worked anywhere near my home I could see myself going bankrupt getting massages from him so often. I can't recommend him highly enough--and I'm fairly picky when it comes to massages.
Additionally, they have the coolest water slide at the kid's pool!! I'm 32 years old, but I was squealing with delight as I rocketed down that curvy slide! I'm serious. If you lay completely flat and cross your legs and cross your arms over your chest you can get up to some shockingly high speeds! It is, admittedly difficult to put a price on getting to be a kid again.
They also have live music entertainment throughout the property--which was really fun.
However, it seems that the property uses a business model which operates by jacking up the prices to insane amounts and then making lots of "discount packages" available for purchase that seem to take the sting out of the price. However, when you examine the fine print the packages don't include certain things, of course don't include gratuities (which can really be exorbitant when you are paying a percentage of the original price), and just seem to have a lot of carefully placed limits and exclusions. Additionally, despite the fact that we had this package we did have to remind the front desk of several items that should have, in fact, been included that they issued as charges on the final bill. It was worked out quickly and without issue, however.
Just to give a couple examples of the prices, a 60 minute massage (though heavenly) is just under $200 not even including the 20% tip that is automatically added on (and well deserved! but still a pricey one hour massage!). Despite the fact that the property is located in the middle of nowhere and there is more than enough parking, SELF PARKING is something like $25 a night.
So ultimately, it is a very high quality place that I would expect to pay a premium for. However, even as fantastic as it was it did seem overpriced and it seemed that one had to be very mindful of the charges and follow-up to ensure accurate billing. But if you are the kind of person that finds it difficult to relax during a standard vacation and you really want and need to truly get away from it all....AND you have a very healthy budget for said getaway....then this is your spot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and event space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular Farm-to-Terranea dining venues, a world-class spa, four oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole par-3 golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes