“Beautiful Resort on the Edge of the World”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful Resort on the Edge of the World”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Terranea Resort is an experience that takes you away from the real world. The drive from the freeway to Terranea is about 20 minutes and as the drive gets closer to the resort, the houses are gorgeous, the views are magical and the tranquility sets in as you drive up. The resort is massive. Be prepared to walk all over the property and wear comfortable shoes. The resort sits on top of the bluffs which overlooks the Pacific Ocean. There is a spa, multiple pools, many niches to lounge, sit and talk with a cocktail, or just sit and relax. The service is better than the last time I was here, making you feel comfortable. The rooms are elegant, clean and extremely comfortable. I would highly recommend visiting for a few days.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view at check in.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

My stay here was very nice. The room was nice. The view wasn't that great unless you went out on the porch area. I guess I didn't pay enough for a good ocean view? The food at the restaurants was very good. During the time I was here the weather was great, a bit foggy in the mornings, but it burned off quickly. The staff was very nice and helpful. I found the added cost of parking to be way too much money. I did use room service, as with any place it takes for ever to get your food once you've ordered over the phone. Overall I'd stay here again. I would however suggest they figure out a way to included the added fees in the room price so the total cost is more transparent before you book. The location is great, but you can also drive to local areas to eat and sight-see.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Pete P
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had a terrific time at the Terranea. Great view of the ocean. Quiet and lovely. The resort is huge, restaurants plentiful and spread out across the property. The adult pool was fantastic—beautiful with a great location on a bluff overlooking the ocean, but they had a very loud DJ in the afternoon that broke the spell of calm and relaxation. We had dinner Friday at Catalina's Kitchen. They have a seafood buffet. Excellent! This resort is a great place for families with kids as the energy level is very high and there is a wide variety of activities. The service people we encountered were unbelievably cheerful and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Amazing Amazing Amazing!!!

Very helpful staff, beautiful views, everything was wonderful. Room was very clean, restaurant Marcels was another experience in its self. Great staff!!!!

I was amazed on how busy the hotel was and how all the staff does not look overwhelmed. Keep up the great work and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank HPoncedeLeon
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear HPoncedeLeon,
We are delighted to read your review. It is wonderful to hear about your experience at Terranea. We hope to see you soon!
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We are locals who chose this resort for a family weekend away. First impressions are amazing, the location is ideal, and while we traveled only 45 miles from our home, we felt like we were another far away destination. We traveled with two young kids, ages 6 and 2, and all of the resort staff we encountered were quite delightful and at times rather forgiving of our rather active 2 year old boy. Really liked the nice touch of "welcome champagne" upon check-in. The room was nice; we had an ocean front room with a view of the pool and ocean to the South. It was very relaxing for my wife and i to sit out on the balcony over a glass of wine while the kids were entertained with movie. As I mentioned the grounds, the family pool and slide were great, the options of hiking down to the rocky beach provided a nice diversion and our evening time activity was consumed by listening to the live music at Nelsons. Our only real disappointment was the "average" food for a 5 star resort. Given everything else was so exceptional, we expected the same from the food and it just wasn't there. Nonetheless, we will be back next summer, as "all in all" it was a great resort experience.

Room Tip: High floor, ocean view or ocean front are the best room options
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Definitely worth the Living Social voucher. We were impressed by the size and amenities Resort had to offer guests and would love to revisit for a longer stay. So kid friendly - would love to bring our baby here and try out the huge water slide. Health conscious and by the water, you can stay active with hikes and water activities or just lounge by a pool or grassy area facing the ocean. Any easy place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We have been going to Terranea as a family since 2010; this summer's visit was our 4th or 5th stay. We have always loved going there, however we probably won't go back.
1) Parking: Terranea has started a happy hour on summer, weekend evenings, bringing in locals that don't stay at the property. Upon arrival on a Friday night in late June, I looked for self-parking for about 20 minutes, finally deciding to valet my car. I was assured that the valet charge difference would not be on my bill, but at check-out it was. I had to ask again to have it removed.
2) Check-in: I waited about 20 minutes to check-in and had to ask for their complimentary champagne drink.
3) Plastic wrist bands at pool: This was the first year we had to wear wrist bands at the pool so that staff could identify outsiders that slip in without being overnight guests. Yet, I saw plenty of people without the bands that were never questioned if they were on the guest list. For the prices you pay to stay at Terranea, it feels demeaning to have to wear a plastic wrist band.
4) Identity theft & poolside service: Another guest at the pool presumably looked at my folio after I signed for our bill and then used my name and room number to sign for several of their meals. I brought this to the attention of the front desk at check-out, and they had me look through all of the prior day's receipts to document that the signature signed was not mine. I should not have had to do that, especially as I was on my way to catch a flight at LAX.
5) Management: I asked for a final copy of my bill to be sent to me to confirm I was charged the correct amounts, and I never received this. I have also never received any e-mail or call from management apologizing for my experience. I even filled out a scathing review using Terranea's survey link that they sent to me after my stay.
Overall recommendation: I'm sorry that Terranea has gone down hill in both service and quality over the years. It seems they are trying to appeal to crowds on one hand but attempting to keep them out on the other hand.

Room Tip: Try to avoid staying in a room where you have to walk a mile from the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenni K
Dear Jenni,
We appreciate the feedback you have provided. After reviewing your comments it seems that you have visited us this year during a very popular weekend. As you have noted, the increased popularity on summer weekends is cause for less available parking, longer check it time, and the wristbands for our guests-only pools. We would like to apologize that the increased popularity disrupted your stay and for the issues you encountered with your bill. We recognize that you have been a loyal guest and we are saddened to hear that this may be your final stay. If you have yet to receive the final copy you requested or if there is anything we can assist with, please email us or send us a direct message with your contact information and we will follow up for you. Our email address is terraneasocial (at) destinationhotels .com. Again, we are very sorry for you experience. We are thankful for your review and will use your comments to improve.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,121 reviews
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!