I was really looking forward to our stay here. We had booked an oceanview room as part of a Living Social deal and since I have family very close by in PV Estates, Terranea could have become a go-to getaway spot for us if it had made a good impression. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed by our short stay there. Things started out promisingly enough - staff reached out to ask if it was a special occasion (I indicated it was supposed to be a romantic retreat for my husband and I) and helped me to book a massage at the spa. The pre check-in service probably heightened my expectations, which just meant Terranea just had farther to fall when it didn't live up to them.
When we arrived in person, check-in was a little chaotic with a lot of people milling around the lobby while the lines grew at the check-in counter. The couple directly in front of me was offered champagne while waiting in line. I wasn't - even after the staffer returned and handed them their glasses. I did get offered a glass once I got to the counter itself but still couldn't understand why the other staffer completely ignored me. The check-in staffer also asked if I had pulled my car around to get help with baggage. I hadn't. Mainly because no one, including the people directing traffic near the lobby, had bothered to tell us where to go even after we had indicated we wanted to check in. When we got to the room, the disappointment continued. We were traveling with our dog and our "oceanview room" seemed to be in a wing of the hotel reserved for dogs. A neighbor had a dog that barked, there was a mysterious wet spot on the carpet of our room when we walked in, there were a few creepy crawlies in the bathtub (probably because of the first-floor location), and the "ocean view" was almost non-existent. Yes, I suppose we could have looked down a lawn and past the pool area to see a sliver of it on the horizon from our first-floor room but even with the deal we got I felt like we'd overpaid. I was especially peeved by the room placement since I had clearly mentioned that we had a romantic visit planned. If we were planning to be there fore more than a night I definitely would have asked to move.
My review is a little biased as I definitely prefer smaller hotels, but since Terranea billed itself as a luxury destination resort I took a chance. The resort felt like a mega-cruise ship to me - many children running around and a lot of noise in general (the adults-only pool has a DJ and is close enough to the family pool that you can still hear screaming kids). The property is beautiful and has an enviable position directly alongside the beautiful coast (the reason I am giving 3 instead of 2 stars). Unfortunately, there's too much going on to get a true sense of escape. Since the grounds are open to the public and the public seems to take advantage of this access, I couldn't find a single place on the property that felt like a respite. The best parts of our visit were brunch at Mar'sel and an early morning walk along the coastal trail - before the crowds came back. We'll pass on staying overnight next time we're in town though we'll likely revisit the trails and Mar'sel with family.
Would not recommend to couples, but would possibly recommend for families with young children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of conference and meeting space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular Farm-to-Terranea dining venues, a world-class spa, four oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole par-3 golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Prestigia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes