“Overpriced and Underwhelming”
Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was really looking forward to our stay here. We had booked an oceanview room as part of a Living Social deal and since I have family very close by in PV Estates, Terranea could have become a go-to getaway spot for us if it had made a good impression. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed by our short stay there. Things started out promisingly enough - staff reached out to ask if it was a special occasion (I indicated it was supposed to be a romantic retreat for my husband and I) and helped me to book a massage at the spa. The pre check-in service probably heightened my expectations, which just meant Terranea just had farther to fall when it didn't live up to them.

When we arrived in person, check-in was a little chaotic with a lot of people milling around the lobby while the lines grew at the check-in counter. The couple directly in front of me was offered champagne while waiting in line. I wasn't - even after the staffer returned and handed them their glasses. I did get offered a glass once I got to the counter itself but still couldn't understand why the other staffer completely ignored me. The check-in staffer also asked if I had pulled my car around to get help with baggage. I hadn't. Mainly because no one, including the people directing traffic near the lobby, had bothered to tell us where to go even after we had indicated we wanted to check in. When we got to the room, the disappointment continued. We were traveling with our dog and our "oceanview room" seemed to be in a wing of the hotel reserved for dogs. A neighbor had a dog that barked, there was a mysterious wet spot on the carpet of our room when we walked in, there were a few creepy crawlies in the bathtub (probably because of the first-floor location), and the "ocean view" was almost non-existent. Yes, I suppose we could have looked down a lawn and past the pool area to see a sliver of it on the horizon from our first-floor room but even with the deal we got I felt like we'd overpaid. I was especially peeved by the room placement since I had clearly mentioned that we had a romantic visit planned. If we were planning to be there fore more than a night I definitely would have asked to move.

My review is a little biased as I definitely prefer smaller hotels, but since Terranea billed itself as a luxury destination resort I took a chance. The resort felt like a mega-cruise ship to me - many children running around and a lot of noise in general (the adults-only pool has a DJ and is close enough to the family pool that you can still hear screaming kids). The property is beautiful and has an enviable position directly alongside the beautiful coast (the reason I am giving 3 instead of 2 stars). Unfortunately, there's too much going on to get a true sense of escape. Since the grounds are open to the public and the public seems to take advantage of this access, I couldn't find a single place on the property that felt like a respite. The best parts of our visit were brunch at Mar'sel and an early morning walk along the coastal trail - before the crowds came back. We'll pass on staying overnight next time we're in town though we'll likely revisit the trails and Mar'sel with family.

Would not recommend to couples, but would possibly recommend for families with young children.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,606)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had our friends from Indonesia coming over to LA for a visit. We booked a suite with 2 rooms but surprisely, upon checking in, there was no WiFi available at the suite. Called front desk and the IT help desk, only to be informed that there are not enough points around the room area and we need to feedback to the hotel directly. The external IT help desk will also highlight this. Come on, this is Terranea Resort and all these would have to be done prior to any guest checked in. This is disappointing and I must say, staying in so many hotels from the around the world , this is one of the worst worst worst stay I had especially so since it came with an extremely high price. Terranea Resort is definitely not worth the price and value. Further to our disappointment, at the end of the stay, in the morning at about 8.30am, housekeeping came knocking on the door asking us what time is our check out time?? Can one believe this is happening?? I cannot and will definitely not recommend anyone to stay in the resort ever. Extremely disappointing!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Merv3102
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Merv,
We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience at our resort. We would like to find out if the Internet and housekeeping knock were the two issues that lead you to dislike your stay, or if there were other issues that we can improve upon. Can you please email us regarding your stay at terraneasocial (at) destinationhotels .com so we can gain a better understanding of your experience? We hope to hear from you soon and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at the Terranea on our trip through California!
It is a very new resort and a very nice one indeed!We loved the dinner in the Catalina Restaurant.Service and food were great.Not so great was the check-in though!The very helpful staff at the Reception turned all confused when she tried to sell us a upgrade and so our check-in took almost one hour.
For the inconvenience we were offered snacks at Catalina.Unfortunately the amount was still credited to my card.Still waiting for a refund!
We loved the Spa!Has great views and nice pool!Not so helpful staff!
If you want to have dinner at Nelson, make sure you reserve a table outside next to the fireplace!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the west side for a nice sunset!
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We arrived at the Terrenea resort on a Friday evening for a two night stay. We had our 11 month old with us. When we got word of our room, the Bell Hop stated "Oh your way out there". Well little did we know that we were on the first floor but had to take an elevator down to the 2nd floor, walk down two long hallways, then get into another elevator to the first floor. That was not convenient for us with a stroller, baby and many bags. Our room was right next to the elevator, so I heard the buzz of the elevator all night long when trying to sleep. I wish I had known where the location of the room was so that I would not get stuck with a double whammy, especially with the cost per night. The positive thing about the room was that we were able to walk out onto the grass and trails directly from our room. Other than that, the resort itself was very beautiful. We were able to walk the grounds and spend some time on the trails along the coast. Our friends were getting married at the Point Vicente Lighthouse and rented out one of the casitas. Those were very nice and spacious. I would love to return to the property some day but will definitely request a higher level room not next to the elevator.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'm not a resort person, but my daughter found a Living Social deal on this one and it was the last stay on a 6 day California graduation trip, so we went not knowing what to expect. Simply put, if you can stay there, do it!

We arrived fairly late after a long drive from Monterrey and a stop in Santa Monica. The staff were friendly and our check in was a breeze. We passed on the champagne but took the offered bottled water. We were asked if we would like to purchase an upgraded room but we declined. We then were given the upgrade anyway. Not sure what we had before, but opening the door that overlooked the pool and bay was priceless. The room was very nice and has all the amenities one would expect. The beds were the best and our sleep those two nights were fantastic. As soon as we got there, we requested some extra towels as there were four of us and three towels. It took two hours for those and the knock on the door at midnight wasn't the best but that was the only blip in the stay. The room service ice cream came promptly and was wonderful.

My son and I walked the golf course (twice) while the girls strolled the resort. They saw a pod of dolphins in the bay which was quite the sight. Our room overlooked the spa pool and it you want a retreat from the kid sounds, you'll have to close the sliding glass door. The upside is that once you close the door, it's nice and peaceful and did I mention the comfortable beds that are great for a nap?

We had no problems getting the car in and out of the valet and we stored our clubs in the storage area with no issues in getting them back. We left for the airport at 5 AM after coming in late and our car was up front and the valet had it ready to go within 2 minutes.

The staff were all very friendly and hit the golf course there, if you can. It's a par three course that will challenge your putting skills and give you breathtaking views from the greens and tees.

All in all, I highly recommend Terranea and my daughter and wife and trying to figure out how we can make a quick trip, from S. Florida, back there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I don't even know where to begin, our first visit to the property was in the early summer. We were greeted by friendly valet and a glass of champagne upon arrival. We were driven to our room by a bellman and assisted with our luggage. Upon getting to our room we noticed they had placed us in an upstairs Casita. We asked for a downstairs unit as we have a small baby as well as a toddler and all the associated gear that goes along with that. We asked for it to be corrected but the were sold out so we spent a significant amount of time hauling strollers and kids up 2 flights of stairs whenever we wanted to leave the room. The room was beautiful and the sweeping views of the cost were amazing. The property is situated on a peninsula over looking the pacific and the grounds were very well maintained. The real letdown was the staff. The seemed very well staffed from a per guest standpoint but there was this overall feeling of apathy mixed with general confusion about how to service guests. We dined at the cafe on 3 separate occasions and 2 of the times we waited 15 minutes before we were even approached. If you have kids you know you have a short window before their ADD sets in and they want to move on. neither of those times did we ever receive and apology. The third time we ended up walking out and we mentioned to the host that nobody has approached us in 18 minutes. No apology they simply said "OK". There were several other instances like this throughout the property that I don't really have the patients to go into. The highlight of the trip was the run in with hotel security. they had a large event in the norther wing of the hotel through the weekend. We were using the hallway that passed by the banquet rooms to get to our casita that was separate and just north of that wing. We were stopped by security and told we were not allowed to travel through the hallway any longer as they had an event. I asked if she could suggest an alternative route the only other way we were aware of involved multiple stairs and with strollers that just doesn't work. She had no other solution for us so i walked past her with my children and she proceeded to call hotel security on us. At that point I was infuriated as I didn't sleep the night before because they had a huge band playing till midnight in the grass outside of our room. I spoke to concierge and they suggested we use the street, which is always a safe alternative for people with kids. Finally we spoke to a manager who offered us an upgraded stay on our next trip as a concession. Normally I don't like taking more potentially bad service to make up for the terrible experience that I already had but the trip was already booked and paid for. I'm writing this review from my room during my second stay sleep deprived from the 3 person party in the room next to us that ran till midnight last night. Oh yes we did call the desk and they said they would send security but that never happened so I resorted to banging on their door and "suggested" they quiet down myself. Anyhow think hard before you spend your money at Terranea I have to run the kids club lost my sons backpack that had his clothes and most of his snacks and food in it and nobody seems to know where it is. Happy travels!!!!

12  Thank Derek O
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Derek,
Thank you for providing your feedback. We would like to offer our apologies for the inconveniences you encountered relating to the location of your casita. We are concerned to read about the service you describe and we will bring your comments to the attention of our resort managers so they can discuss each issue within their individual departments. If there is anything further we may assist with or if there is any additional information that you would like to share regarding your experience, please direct message us or send us an email at any time. You can reach us at terraneasocial (at) destinationhotels .com. Once again we apologize for the issues you experienced and we will use all of the information you have provided to improve.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I went away for a night just the two of us and this was a WONDERFUL place to stay. We were greeted with complimentary champagne upon arrival, quick check in service and given a spacious, clean and warm room. We hung out pool-side all day and received great service and the most AMAZING Charlie's Angel Cosmopolitan that is very dangerous if you drink too many! The next day we spent at the adult only pool and had an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean. I would NOT recommend eating at Mar'sel but everything else was fantastic and we are definitely returning as soon as our schedules allow!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Americas Best Value Inn
#2 of 2 in Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Casa del Mar
#5 of 36 in Santa Monica
Shade Hotel
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!