“Beautiful Ocean Views”
Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Top ammenities: loved the trail system around the hotel and throughout the community for running and walking; active whale, dolphin and sea life visible; spectacular views; comfortable rooms. Nice selectrion of four onsire restaurants. Drawbacks...no beach or water access on site (cliffs and rocks but very scenic); no activities, shopping etc nearby.

Room Tip: For best ocean views, ask for a room above the 4th floor.
2  Thank JoonB

Reviewed October 25, 2012

It was only one night but truly a night to remember. Loved the ambience and overall feel of the resort. The entrance is elegant but not intimidating. Very friendly and polite staff throughout hotel. Room with an ocean view and small balcony was just right to view the sunset.
Spotless and inviting pool areas. Great trail to beach and lighthouse.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking west for the sunset view.
2  Thank la_la_land_lover
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Spent our 10 year anniversary there. Beautiful property, gorgeous views and friendly staff. The spa was great. My husband had the seafood buffet Friday night ... Not worth the price but decent. But the only way we'd stay again is if it's at the discounted price.

1  Thank KilaMoonie
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I were visiting for a conference. They upgraded to a very nice King Suite. The suite and amenities were very excellent. This was a corner suite with separate bedroom and bath. Nice touch was the bath off of the living area. Good size balconies. Somewhat of an ocean view yet set back quite far from ocean side. Check in was warm and organized. I arrived a day later and the reception staff were ready to hand me the key with a nice glass of champagne. Be aware that parking is very expensive - $20 per day for self and $30 for valet. Not sure why as the property has lots of parking so feels a bit like a gouge. Nelson's restaurant is perched near a cliff with a great view of Catalina. Drinks and food were good (crab cake sliders excellent. The last night was a sit down banquet of approximately 800. This was probably one of the best banquet meals I've ever had. Hot, well plated and food was impeccable (filet, sea bass) so if anyone is considering this for a wedding your guests should be amazed. Lunches were out door buffets - just okay. Spa and staff were well versed and friendly. Spa has its own pool area, restaurant and lovely outdoor areas overlooking Pacific. This would be perfect for a girls day spa visit. Now for a few issues: there was a car in the parking lot behind our building. Its alarm went on and off throughout the 1st and 2nd night and often during the day. Finally on our 3rd night it was taken care of and unfortunately it took several calls progressively with more frustration on our part to correct. The main pool area is just okay...nothing spectacular and pool side service very sporadic. What bothered me was that it was a nice enough day to swim but the wet feet walk back to your chair resulted in very dirty feet. Towel on lounge then picked up all the dirt. I know they are an environmentally friendly resort but I'd prefer some clean feet. All in all pretty minor issues and this is a gorgeous resort but a true 5 rating I'd expect to not experience these kinds of issues.

Room Tip: Hotel is spread out so check out room location before you go to room if you don't want to have a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear travelernottourist,
Thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback you have provided and we are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Terranea. We agree that the spa would make a wonderful girls spa day outing! In regards to the additional issues you have noted, including the pool side service and parking, please know that we will absolutely use your comments to improve our amenities, service, and offerings. It is our aim to continually improve and provide 5-star service for our guests. Once again, we thank you for your review and we hope you will return to Terranea.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed here in August 25,2012 and we had the worst experience. The only good part of this Resort is that they have a gorgeous view. If you stay here be prepared for tons of kids,bad service,hard to open toiletries (bring pliers),sand paper towels & robes,being served wrong food orders or half eaten condiments.These are just a few of the 5 pages of complaints I had.I had sent a letter to the President & Vp of Destination Hotels on 09/17/2012 and never received any reply.So do not waste your money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank truffles1354
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear truffles1354,
We are sorry to read about your experience. We do not have a record of the letter you mention in this review. Can you please send the letter to us at terraneasocial@destinationhotels.com so we can reach out to you directly?

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My efforts to get a message? Not inpressive. I call your number, it sounded like I got reservations, I asked what it would take to get a message the lady hung up. I called back and got a different lay and asked the same question, she gave me a number to call, I called andI left a message to call me back. I needed the massage the next day at 2:00 pm. On the way their I called and got an appointment. I want ed it to be a surprise, I had my girlfreind made her own appointment. Did not seam right and to much of an exercise for a luxury.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We treated ourselves for our anniversary. The resort/hotel is lovely, situated on the Pacific Coast waters, We were greeted at the desk by a friendly face and 2 glasses of champagne. Our room was ocean-view king, and appointed nicely. They had an anniversary card and chocolate truffles waiting for us. All the restaurants are good, a bit pricey, but expected at a place like this.
We were amazed at how many young couples with children there were, this is more of a place for couples. Since it was summer it was nice to eat outside but no one wants to hear bawling children at dinner time, inside or out.

Juan, a waiter in the Catalina Kitchen was our favorite... attentive, friendly, bilingual and very helpful with menu choices. Just expect to pay for a place like this, even a cup of tea or container of water is outrageous.

Room Tip: We had a Travel-type voucher which only offered two full-size beds. They don't offer Queens here...
1  Thank mzglorybeCA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach
The Redondo Beach Hotel
The Redondo Beach Hotel
#2 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!