“The Terranea Resort is Exceptional”
Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Terranea Resort lives up to its 5 star rating. A beautiful, well maintained and well run resort. The restaurant (Catalina Kitchen and Nelsons) food was very good. Our 2 night mid week stay met our high expectations.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kirk92646
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Kirk92646,
We are delighted to hear that we were able to meet your high expectations. We appreciate your review and we hope you will visit us again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,606)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Great views, enviornment and terrific service! It was one of my best places I have been. Would like to visit again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RealGon
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I spent three days at Terranea at a business conference, and can't wait to come back with my family. I stayed in one of the casitas, very spacious and well appointed, lovely views of the ocean from my lower floor patio. The patio itself is relatively private and I spent both mornings out there sipping coffee and reading the news. They have a number of pools, my favorite was the one by the spa as it seemed the most mellow, but all were outstanding. Speaking of the spa, I indulged in one of the massages and the facilities are very nice. Ate at Nelson's for lunch one day, the sea bass was amazing. Fitness center also well appointed. I should note the property is quite large and if you're in one of the casitas it's a bit of a walk to get to the main areas. But I didn't mind that at all. It's a first rate property in a first rate location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TeamJK

Dear TeamJK,
Thank you for your review of Terranea. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your three day business conference and we appreciate your feedback. We look forward to your return and hope you will come back to Terranea with your family soon!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I love the ocean and decided to explore the relatively-new Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, about an hour's drive from our home in La Verne. From the minute I booked our room on-line until we departed this morning, I have never experienced better customer service from any hotel, restaurant, golf course or any other entity. Every request we made was cheerfully granted and several were anticipated and waiting for us. Our room and bath were large and spacious and the 180-degree view of the Paciic Ocean from our private balcony was to die for. We played their 9-hole, par-3 golf course and were delighted w/ the course and the pristine condition. Dinner last night was delicious and the service was, as previously mentioned, as good as it gets. My only complaint is that the Saturday buffet breakast "hot" items were barely lukewarm. The variety of selections though was vast. GREAT resort staffed and managed by caring professionals who definitely put their guests first and foremost.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for an "Oceanside" room for drop-dead ocean views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I'm from LA so to visit a hotel that's close to the city but so distant in terms of natural beauty and calm was really astonishing.

The resort sits on cliffs overlooking the Pacific. Just about the most beautiful real estate you can imagine. There are numerous hikes and trails that take you up, down, and around the property. In the morning you can see dolphins playing in the distance. The architecture of the place is neo-Spanish...it's sort of what you might see in Santa Barbara and adds a nice sense of "California" to the place.

There are number of great restaurants on the property but you'll have to make reservations or be prepared to wait. We ate at the sports bar which had some great food and plenty of TV screens. Seems a lot of the guests were actually locals who live in the area and not just guests.

Spent some time working out in the gym which was really nice. They have a huge space with all the equipment you need and an empty room to stretch and do yoga. The facilities are just awesome.

The place is beautiful but HUGE. Be prepared to walk long distance to get from your room to the lobby, down to the restaurant, to the gym. The only reason I wouldn't give it a full five stars is because the service is not quite at the level of a Ritz or Four Seasons. They're courteous and professional but because the place is so big they just can't be as swift or attentive as the super high end places.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The locale can't be beat. It is a bit off all other attractions but if you are looking to fully relax, play golf, lounge by the pool, get out to fish... then this is a good place. Not sure it is ideal for families as it lacked in variety in my opinion. The rooms are quite spacious and very inviting. It helps that the hotel is only three or four years old -- nothing like a new property! The staff was quite engaging all throughout the hotel. I did find the pricing of their spa services to be incredibly outrageous all around. I went to the spa to fix a nail color on one nail and they charged me $18 for giving me two top coats of the color I had on! It completely discouraged a return visit for spa services. It was perfect for a business trip and the golf course is excellent. They are def missing a few tennis courts.

Room Tip: Must get a room with a balcony facing the west side of the resort... stunning sunsets!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The physical property is beautiful ... but the service is significantly lacking. I arrived late on a Saturday evening and waited quite a while at registration, waited quite awhile for a shuttle to take me to my cabana, waited quite a while for room service to be delivered ... you get the idea. I was at the hotel for four days, and changed rooms because the cabana was so off the beaten path. Although I thought the staff was exceedingly poorly trained and managed, I did find the food to be excellent and the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. The spa and gym are very nice, too.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room facing the ocean in the main hotel building.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AYellowWood
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear AYellowWood,
Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to read that the service you received while visiting Terranea was lacking in any manner. We would like the opportunity to hear more about your experience and learn from your feedback. Could you please email your contact information to us, so that we can reach out to you directly? Our email address is terraneasocial@destinationhotels.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Americas Best Value Inn
#2 of 2 in Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Casa del Mar
#5 of 36 in Santa Monica
Shade Hotel
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!