“Terranea delivers, it was everything we expected.”
Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Pasadena, California
“Terranea delivers, it was everything we expected.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Terranea delivered. We stayed here after a wedding that was nearby. It was our anniversary the next day and we wanted a kid free weekend to celebrate. Everything worked out better or as expected for such a nice resort. Can't believe it used to be Marine Land.

1) Champagne when we checked in
2) Nice lobby area bar and lounge
3) Nelsons nice bar with scenic view and fireplace outside for kickback evening drinks
4) Catalina Kitchen excellent food and nice buffets on weekend. The Sunday brunch was extra pricey but looked excellent.
5) Kids pool was nice, might have to bring out kids back here!
6) Adult pool reminded us of Vegas. Excellent bar service and you can get cabana's or nice lounge chairs for extra.
7) Access to Beach down below cliff and nice trails to walk around area.

Overall excellent resort, its not cheap but you can find some deals to help out.

1 Thank bruinbryan
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear bruinbryan,
Happy anniversary! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your anniversary celebration at Terranea. We hope you will make it a tradition to vacation with us on your anniversary or next time, bring the kids to the pool! Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have gotten to the point where I do not want to look at, or walk around, junky strollers and snotty kids. This is a truly stunning property destroyed by the downtown Disneyland feel of the lobby. The staff told me that the summer months bring in a lot of families; and that it isn't as bad the rest of the year. This could be avoided if there were a policy against strollers in the lobby. I have kids myself; and I don't recall ever needing a stroller just to get through a lobby. The area between the front desk and concierge is narrow; and gets congested easily.

"Back in my day", kids walked, and sometimes their mothers actually carried them, too. We didn't trek oversized, ugly, plastic gear everywhere and get in everybody else's way. I still can't get over this, because there is a valet service. Point being, nobody hauled their children a great distance through a parking lot. The distance from the valet and the front desk is not far. From there, you go to your room. Again, not so far that anyone should need a stroller. No, nobody was carrying their own luggage. There is staff for that, so please don't argue that anyone needed their arms free to carry their bags instead of their children. Besides, pushing a stroller takes two hands, where as holding one by the hand only takes one hand, and holding one in your arms only takes one arm and a hip. Throwing a carry on sized bag over your shoulder actually balances out carrying a small child.

All these people with their strollers looked like fit people. I didn't see anyone so grotesquely out of shape or disabled that they couldn't carry or watch a small child. Most were couples, so now we are talking about two fit adults who need special gear to transport a small child. I half expected to see a baby swing in the lobby.

Aside from that, I noticed a beautiful area for weddings. I'm not shopping for a wedding venue, but it did look lovely. The views are amazing.

The spa has an automatic 20% gratuity added to all services. The services are priced higher than services at other luxury spas, but you are paying for the location. It is really THAT beautiful. The menu is a typical spa menu.

The valet attendants were wonderful. The concierge and front desk staff were wonderful.

I would not recommend this resort for couples or anyone wanting a romantic getaway. There are too many families with young children to get that true romance or luxury feel. If you want an upscale family vacation, than it is the right spot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SeaJenniTravel
Southern Cal
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here this past weekend. I booked an ocean view room for my wife and my two teens. Upon checkin we were upgraded to a bungalow. Great I thought. Don't mean to sound ungrateful, but they said there was a king size bed and they would bring in a bed for the kids. Unfortunately the bed never came until I called down for it and it was a single so one of the kids had to join us in the king. In addition the bungalows are a walk from the main hotel and they give you ride on a golf cart. Even then the cart path is not directly accessible to the bungalows as you have to go down stairs and back up if you're on an upper level which we were. We assisted the bellman in bringing in our luggage so as to save him a few trips.

Had our car valeted, they told me to park in the front and I told the valet that I left the key in the cup holder. Later, went down, showed the valet my ticket and he said they'd get the car. After watching people who were behind me in line who checked in with the valet get their cars before me. I asked what's going on. My wife noticed that the car was still in front and she had her key and for us to just go, but I wanted to see what was taking so long. She went to the car and found that my key fob was still in the cup holder. Nevertheless, we told the valet and took off.

The bungalow itself was awesome with a great view of the Pacific. Fairly new property so everything you would expect, spacious bedroom, clean bathrooms. But, the couches were stained and was afraid to sit on them. Glad I didn't have a UV light. Patio had a fabulous view. Towels could have been a little better quality. My cousin told me the bungalows are like timeshares which explained a few things.

Went to check out before noon and I understand it gets busy around that time. But, I called down to the bellman for assistance with our bags, they said they'd be right up. After a 20 minute wait we decided to bring them up ourselves. Golf clubs, luggage and all. Mind you, this is down, then up stairs and a walk back to the front of the property. Retrieved the car from the valet without incident, (noticing there were 3 golf carts just sitting there) packed up and sped off. Not a very good impression to leave with. I'd like to come back, but the service would keep me from doing so.

Room Tip: I would advise to stay in the main hotel as I suspect the service would be better due to proximity.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Pinoy123
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Pinoy123,
We would like to thank you for providing your feedback and bringing these issues to our attention. We hope you will accept our apologies for not providing the experience you had hoped for. Regarding the room upgrade, we are pleased to read that you enjoyed the bungalow and the view of the Pacific, but saddened to hear that your overall guest service was lessened from this. We have sent your review to our rooms division to notify the department of the problems you had with the additional bed needing a reminder and being an insufficient size for both of your teens. We have also contacted our housekeeping department to remind our room inspectors to carefully review all of the furniture in the bungalows. This process is of course a part of our daily review, but occasionally spots are missed and we are very sorry that you encountered this. In addition, our valet department was contacted regarding the delay with bringing your car around for you. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the service you received during your visit to Terranea. We appreciate your feedback and we will use all of this information to improve our practices resort-wide. If we are able to provide additional assistance or if there is anything else you would like to share with us, please contact us at terraneasocial@destinationhotels.com.
Reviewed September 6, 2012

we had our wedding at Terranea. such a gorgeous place. their food is excellent. all my guests enjoyed their stay. we will go back for sure . they have 5star customer service :) so happy to find this place.

1 Thank Anahita H
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Anahita,
Congratulations!!!! We are honored to be a part of your special day. We appreciate the feedback you have provided and we are pleased to read that you and your guests enjoyed your stay at Terranea. We hope you will visit us again through the years and think of Terranea as your special place. Congratulations again and warm wishes from the Terranea family.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed there three days. By joining the hotel loyalty program before our arrival we were able to get a resort credit and a free room upgrade. Our room facing the ocean was magical, and seeing the sun rise over cliffs each morning was a treat, as was watching it set from elsewhere at the resort each night.

We ate at every restaurant on the premises except the fanciest one. We found the food excellent and reasonably priced. Nelson's by the ocean was a good place to watch the sunset, but hard to get a table.

We played tennis each morning at a local club affiliated with the resort which was friendly, accomodating and with a lookout to the ocean second to none. I played golf at Trump National twice, which is only a five minute drive away. It is one of the most scenic courses I have ever played. It is also very difficult. I also played the resort's nine hole course and it is precious, with almost every hole providing a view of the ocean. It is also quite challenging.

There are three pools: main pool, adult pool, spa pool. All were very nice, and we really enjoyed the food served by the pool. They charge for using the spa pool unless you are using the spa. They did not charge me for using it when my wife used the spa. The spa itself was gorgeous, but the price of the treatments was very very high. That is a drawback. The gym is very spacious and has lots of equipment.

The setting of the hotel is right over the ocean and you can see the ocean from almost everywhere, that alone might bring us back. It is the site of the old Marineland. Being up above the ocean with rocks between you and the ocean presents the only major drawback to the resort: no sandy beach to swim from. The resort offerred sea-kayaking which is supposed to be breathtaking when the whales and dolphins are near by, but this activity was not offered during our stay because of choppy waters. The grounds around the resort are very pretty, and we walked around a lot. Some may complain that the resort is too spread out, but we did not mind that. The resort also offers bike tours, painting and other child and adult friendly activities.

Bottom line we loved our stay there. It was close to LAX and once there, we were in a serene setting with breathtaking sunsets. Golf and food and tennis were all very good. The only downsides were price of spa treatments and the inability to swim in the ocean at the resort. Hopefully they will do something about the former.

Room Tip: Join the loyality program for free upgrade.
4 Thank Tennispeople
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Giving this a four star but it does border on 5. The difference is the pool and the spotty customer service well known at 5 star joints. The rooms are nice size, with great bathrooms. The pool area is crowded....I mean crowded during the summer months. You need to go there early and camp out or put your stuff there on chairs otherwise you are standing around or trying to find the sliver of grass you can camp out until a spot opens up. The pool side service is the area with the best customer service hands down. Just a note...the weather is a littler hotter than most costal places...not sure why.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kim H
BEVERLY HILLS
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We truly enjoyed staying at this resort despite the crowd for the labor day weekend and we are planning to come back for a long week day stay. I loved the spa, the pool and the incredible ocean view suite! I loved the energy in this resort, its' like home away from home. I loved everything about it and I highly recommend this resort to everyone living in los angeles.

2 Thank FAY1357
Dear FAY1357,
We are so happy to read this review. It is wonderful to receive your feedback and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Terranea. Thank you for posting. We look forward to welcoming you back to Terranea.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!