This hotel is a "resort", meaning you will enjoy it the most if you stay within the resort. It is about 30 minutes from LAX and it feels it is in the middle of upper class nowhere. Some people will not like this, but we enjoyed the seclusion. Within a mile though, there are places like Trader Joe's, Starbucks, a bakery, and a nice and neat convenience/small grocery store (Fresh & Easy?). I got my breakfast at these stores.
The hotel feels new and fresh, five-star quality without the neat but useless five-star knick-knacks. The room is spacious, the bathroom is excellent. Service was first class. A few days before checkin, I got an email from them, asking if we want transportation from the airport, fridge filled with groceries, etc. What a nice touch, not that we need it. At checkin, we are offered complementary bottled water. They also supply bottled water in the room every morning. It puzzles me, though, that there is another bottled water in the room by the table with $8 label. Really? We were offered a complementary upgrade to an ocean-view room, which is very nice. Upon entry, though, the carpet was damp as if it was just been shampooed. It is nice to know they steamed it, but it takes one night to completely dry.
Self-parking can be a hassle. Like I said earlier, this is a resort, park your car and forget about it. The location is a bit far from the lobby. There is a stair access with key card closer to the lot, this is what we used daily to get to/from our car. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon. The lot is packed and was a bit hard to find parking. The lot is shared with the day-only guests/members playing golf, etc., and for the villa residents to do activities in the main hotel. Later in the evening, the lot is more reasonable. In my opinion, parking should be free, not $20.
The food here is very good and the price is very reasonable. We ate at Bashi, the asian fusion restaurant. We also got coffee and gelato ice cream at the Deli.
Now I mentioned the hotel being a resort, and you should enjoy the property. However, after a day or so, you will be running out of things to do. I don't play golf, and while the swimming pool and the hot tub is nice, I can't stay there too long. One big drawback is the lack of a beach. There is a rocky tide pool, but it is not the same. Within 15 minutes upon arrival, we were on our swimsuit, and asked the same question, where is the beach? There are other activities like guided bike tour, kayaking, etc., but they are pricy. $99 for biking, really? It would be nice if they have rental or free resort bikes.
To our consolation, Hermosa and Manhattan beach is about 15 minutes drive and they are very nice. Even better, they have miles and miles of bike path along the beaches. Bike rental is like $7/hour. Terranea will not provide beach towels to be used outside, however, which is too bad. Luckily we packed our own beach towel. At the local beaches, there are also plenty of places that rent umbrellas, beach chair, etc.
My "value" rating will be 5 if they provide free parking and beach towels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and event space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular Farm-to-Terranea dining venues, a world-class spa, four oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole par-3 golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes