“Lovely resort in idyllic location but watch for the extras”
Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Brighton, UK
“Lovely resort in idyllic location but watch for the extras”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We have just come back to England having finished off our 3 week holiday with 2 nights at Terranea. It was just what I was after - a luxury resort.

We had a room that looked out onto a lawned area with a table and chairs (unfortunately I couldn't sit out because I have an irrational fear of daddy long legs or mosquito eaters as the americans call them and there was an infestation of them) near the pool. It was quiet (apart from the noisy air con). Big. Had lovely furniture. The beds were so comfy if maybe a little small. The bathroom was huge and luxurious. Good big bath and strong shower with separate toilet. Safe, coffee stuff and fridge.

The pool was great. The big one was salted and of a good temperature. The 2 hot pools were very hot! The kids loved the slide and the sand pit. The pool staff were enthusiastic. Infact all the staff were very friendly as seems to be the norm in california. You wouldn't get that kind of service in the UK thats for sure!

We ate at main restaurant near the pool which was nice if a little expensive. The coffee shop was great for a reasonably priced and yummy breakfast.

They've thought of everything at this hotel. The grounds are immaculate. Theres complimentary postcard posting. Complimentary boarding card printing. There are nice fires and tables everywhere. You get a glass of bubbly on arrival. Overall I was impressed.

The only downside is the extras. Beware that they charge a $25 resort fee per night. The self parking was $20 which is a joke if you ask me. You can park for free on the road which we discovered too late. Just park up before you get to the carpark attendant bit. Also we got overcharged on the tip from the restaurant but it wasn't a huge amount so I didn't bring it up.

This is the kind of hotel where you need to be prepared to spend lots of money. We got the hotel for 2 nights via expedia for £270/$399 but then 2 x resort fee and 2 x parking added another $90. And the food and drink are expensive. Spa treatments are also on the expensive side. We wanted a buffet breakfast but at $30 each and $10 for the kids we didn't feel $80 was worth it.

Oh and the location was great. 40 mins from LAX and you wouldn't believe you were so close to such a big city. Its so quite and idyllic. We saw dolphins about 10m off the private cove shore and the view out to Catalina is beautiful. Palos Verdes is nice and has alot of restaurants and a good mall. Theres also a very good Ralphs supermarket up the road.

Room Tip: Park for free on the road and save $20 a night
1 Thank babymt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, TX
Reviewed April 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Terranea last weekend, attending a wedding.

1)Resort: The resort is very beautiful. The wedding couple really picked a wonderful location for the wedding. Getting to the hotel from Los Angeles International Airport is not quick. You can take either Sepulveda Blvd (Highway 1) or you can take 405 down to Hawthorne. During the weekend, the drive will easily take you 30-40 minutes.
Make it a point to take a walk down to Nelsons and then walk down the path to the beach. This has to be one of the most peaceful and beautiful walks I've ever had. Stunningly beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island. I even saw a couple of whales from the beach. The grounds are kept in impeccable condition. Very beautiful.

2) Rooms: If you ask for an 'Ocean View', make sure they give it to you. We technically had an ocean view but the view was partially blocked by a tree. Other than that, the rooms are very elegant. The room and bathroom were decorated very nicely (modern) with the usual amenities. We slept quite well.

3) Food: We dined at the Catalina Café for breakfast and it was good. The Eggs Benedict were well prepared and the coffee was quite strong. The food at the wedding was Ok and the service was outstanding. Overall, this was a very nice wedding.

I would recommend this hotel more for adults. There are kid-oriented activities and the pool is built for both adults and children. If you want a good romantic getaway with your significant other (and you have the means to do so), I would recommend this resort in Los Angeles.

Room Tip: fly in before or way after rush hour
1 Thank Cameron K
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 11, 2011

This is paradise. You forget that you are in LA. It is so peaceful and quiet. The property is absolutely beautiful. The service was outstanding from the front desk, the bellman and waitresses. Anything that you need you will get. The room was absolutely beautiful we stayed in the bungalow's and they were beautiful.
Will recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Wow! What An Experience. Where to start... I was brought here by my employer as we came together from across our 22 states to celebrate being in the top 3% of Sales and Service in our various departments in AT&T Consumer Markets Division. I won under my department in the West Region, and being a local I didn't need to worry where it was, as I used to come here as a kid way back when it was 'Marineland of The Pacific' Marine Park. As I drove the ten minutes from my home in Redondo Beach to the Resort (This was the ultimate 'Stay-cation'), memories of Marineland Park just filled my head. They kept the grounds mostly intact and the walkways and trees were quite recognizable. I found out the Coastal Commission wouldn't allow the new owners to tear up the natural surroundings and they built the hotel under strict conditions. The Main building where I stayed in was where the old Killer Whale Stadium used to stand. I was impressed as I checked into my 2 Double Bedded Room (#6222) with the impressive views of 'Portuguese Bend' and Catalina in the distance (Just as I remembered when it was Marineland). I might be 44 now, but man those memories in the late 70's were hot. Anyone remember 'Hanna-Barbera's Marineland'? - those were the best times of my youth growing up in the So. Bay - The next three days were just relaxing and memorable - many company sponsored events kept us busy and the Gala Dinner in the Main Ballroom was simply awesome. Met so many fellow employees and bosses from Dallas and Atlanta, I had very little time for myself. On Sunday I was able to get a late checkout just to hang out with my brother, as we're from the area we didn't have to go 'home' like all the other employees and managers. We enjoyed the hike to Pt. Vicente Lighthouse and turned back to enjoy a nice lunch at Nelson's on the cliff . Man, my company paid for everything and it must have been a pretty penny. The AAA rates are $350 a night for our room. Thanks again to the staff for their kindness and professionalism and I'm definitely coming back (at least to the restaurants like Catalina Grill and Nelson's) The Hiking trails are open to the general public. I'll be back. JG 'Bear'

Room Tip: Request the 6th or 7th floor in the main building
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank goriajk
Bend Oregon
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Checked in April 2nd, will check out on the 5th. So far this hotel falls well, well short of a 5 star rating. A short list of my complaints...

1.) Rented a 2BR Casita, the fully equiped kitchen came with no plates or bowls
2.) Spa reservations were moved by 2 hours by the spa
3.) At Nelsons, there was a hite powdery substance (cocaine?) all over the toilet paper holder.. but there was no toilet paper!
4.) Every part of the hotel was quick to say we are closed... its 9:55 right now and a couple jst came in for a drink... common theme.. "sorry we are closed"
5.) Concierge was not particualry helpful, I asked for help on Six Flags and was told, you can get a better deal by using the busines center and booking yourself
6.) All the business center computers were down...
7.) Ordered room service for the kids, al food was cold and frankly awful (chicken sliders and beef sliders)

I wouldnt stay here again, for these prices stay elsewhere! On a positive note, the views are stunning.

11 Thank Donjo_ms
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
We are sorry to hear that you stay has has not be up to par! We hold ourselves to highest standard of excellence and these issues are not acceptable. I have sent your feedback to our Operations and Guest Relations to help resolve. Thank you so much for informing us. It is with your feedback that we are able to improve on ourselves and to make sure this doesn't happen in the future. We attempted to contact you while you were still on property, but could not reach you. Pleave contact us directly as it is very important that we resolve this matter. You mail e-mail us directly at terraneasocial@destinationhotels.com. Thank You!
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I don't think there are words to describe the excellent experience at this hotel! Everything about this place was beyond amazing! The rooms are spectacular, the view is breathtaking, the service is unbeatable and the beds are more comfortable than my own!

Worth the stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We just had our daughter's destination wedding at Terrenea and it was flawless. The setting is breathtaking,the accomodations first rate. Working with the Terrenea catering department went smoothly and the staff couldn't do enough for us. The food and service at the cocktail hour, reception, and next morning brunch was excellent and well presented. Our guests raved about the resort, its amenities,activities,beauty and serenity. We highly recommend Terrenea as a luxury vacation resort and a venue for special occasions.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank aquajade31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,134 reviews
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!