We have just come back to England having finished off our 3 week holiday with 2 nights at Terranea. It was just what I was after - a luxury resort.
We had a room that looked out onto a lawned area with a table and chairs (unfortunately I couldn't sit out because I have an irrational fear of daddy long legs or mosquito eaters as the americans call them and there was an infestation of them) near the pool. It was quiet (apart from the noisy air con). Big. Had lovely furniture. The beds were so comfy if maybe a little small. The bathroom was huge and luxurious. Good big bath and strong shower with separate toilet. Safe, coffee stuff and fridge.
The pool was great. The big one was salted and of a good temperature. The 2 hot pools were very hot! The kids loved the slide and the sand pit. The pool staff were enthusiastic. Infact all the staff were very friendly as seems to be the norm in california. You wouldn't get that kind of service in the UK thats for sure!
We ate at main restaurant near the pool which was nice if a little expensive. The coffee shop was great for a reasonably priced and yummy breakfast.
They've thought of everything at this hotel. The grounds are immaculate. Theres complimentary postcard posting. Complimentary boarding card printing. There are nice fires and tables everywhere. You get a glass of bubbly on arrival. Overall I was impressed.
The only downside is the extras. Beware that they charge a $25 resort fee per night. The self parking was $20 which is a joke if you ask me. You can park for free on the road which we discovered too late. Just park up before you get to the carpark attendant bit. Also we got overcharged on the tip from the restaurant but it wasn't a huge amount so I didn't bring it up.
This is the kind of hotel where you need to be prepared to spend lots of money. We got the hotel for 2 nights via expedia for £270/$399 but then 2 x resort fee and 2 x parking added another $90. And the food and drink are expensive. Spa treatments are also on the expensive side. We wanted a buffet breakfast but at $30 each and $10 for the kids we didn't feel $80 was worth it.
Oh and the location was great. 40 mins from LAX and you wouldn't believe you were so close to such a big city. Its so quite and idyllic. We saw dolphins about 10m off the private cove shore and the view out to Catalina is beautiful. Palos Verdes is nice and has alot of restaurants and a good mall. Theres also a very good Ralphs supermarket up the road.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of conference and meeting space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular Farm-to-Terranea dining venues, a world-class spa, four oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole par-3 golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes