Having visited the Westin Mission Hills many times, we decided to take our seemingly annual jaunt to Rancho Mirage for a relaxing Mother’s Day. Living in the L.A. area and being a Starwood loyalist, we have found this Westin to be one of the best and most economical options for us within a couple hour drive. It was even better this year as I was able to use a half off points promo for the weekend.
While our family really enjoys the resort, this stay turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag. A sprawling complex, the grounds are beautiful and our rooms have always been spacious and well maintained. We are very comfortable here. It was lapses in service that caused me to rate our stay as average overall.
When attempting to check-in before 4 p.m., my room has never been ready. This trip was no different. The wait wasn’t long though – maybe 15 minutes. Knowing that the resort was full for the weekend, I was happy that my request for a room near the main Las Brisas pool was honored.
While crowded, we still had a great time with our family. The pool has plenty of activities, from volleyball to a water slide to games put on by the Westin staff. We also used the park area at the west end of the resort, which includes a jungle gym, mini putting green, croquet and shuffle board. There are lots of activities to keep a family with kids busy.
As mentioned, it was a lack of service that drops this particular visit down a couple notches. Despite requesting a refrigerator before we arrived, it took three calls over an hour and a half period before it was finally delivered. The pool staff was even worse. On Saturday, it took well over an hour for our food and drinks to be delivered after ordering. On Sunday, we eventually had to cancel our food when they brought us the wrong order after having to wait another hour. When it’s extremely crowded like this, it might make more sense to order directly from the take-out window on the eastern side of the pool area, but that could potentially take 20-30 minutes too. Maybe ordering Dominos would be faster.
Be aware that on busy weekends (and it was when I was there) that every lounge chair could be gone by 8 a.m. Half were actually being used by guests, the other half were claimed with towels and magazines by those who wouldn’t return until sometime after 10 or 11. Pretty tacky, but that seems to be a general trend at resorts like this.
Even with the service issues, we still had a nice family break. I would not recommend this hotel for a quiet, romantic weekend. This place has more kids than Disneyland. But it’s an ideal family getaway, especially for those living Southern California. I’m sure I’ll return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa is a Palm Springs resort and hotel where the picturesque mountain views and secluded location create the perfect escape. Our Palm Springs hotel is the perfect place to unwind. Enjoy the best Palm Springs Golf on one of our championship courses, lounge at any of our three pools, splash down our 75-foot waterslide or enjoy a delectable meal at one of our Palm Springs restaurant options, including the on-site restaurant Pinzimini. A soothing sanctuary awaits those looking for a rejuvenating desert retreat with our expansive Palm Springs resort spa featuring treatments for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Starwood, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Mission Hills Resort And Spa
- Westin Mission Hills Hotel Rancho Mirage
- Westin Rancho Mirage
- Palm Springs Westin
- Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa Rancho Mirage, CA - California Desert