“Mediocre stay over Mother's Day weekend”

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed May 14, 2007

Having visited the Westin Mission Hills many times, we decided to take our seemingly annual jaunt to Rancho Mirage for a relaxing Mother’s Day. Living in the L.A. area and being a Starwood loyalist, we have found this Westin to be one of the best and most economical options for us within a couple hour drive. It was even better this year as I was able to use a half off points promo for the weekend.

While our family really enjoys the resort, this stay turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag. A sprawling complex, the grounds are beautiful and our rooms have always been spacious and well maintained. We are very comfortable here. It was lapses in service that caused me to rate our stay as average overall.

When attempting to check-in before 4 p.m., my room has never been ready. This trip was no different. The wait wasn’t long though – maybe 15 minutes. Knowing that the resort was full for the weekend, I was happy that my request for a room near the main Las Brisas pool was honored.

While crowded, we still had a great time with our family. The pool has plenty of activities, from volleyball to a water slide to games put on by the Westin staff. We also used the park area at the west end of the resort, which includes a jungle gym, mini putting green, croquet and shuffle board. There are lots of activities to keep a family with kids busy.

As mentioned, it was a lack of service that drops this particular visit down a couple notches. Despite requesting a refrigerator before we arrived, it took three calls over an hour and a half period before it was finally delivered. The pool staff was even worse. On Saturday, it took well over an hour for our food and drinks to be delivered after ordering. On Sunday, we eventually had to cancel our food when they brought us the wrong order after having to wait another hour. When it’s extremely crowded like this, it might make more sense to order directly from the take-out window on the eastern side of the pool area, but that could potentially take 20-30 minutes too. Maybe ordering Dominos would be faster.

Be aware that on busy weekends (and it was when I was there) that every lounge chair could be gone by 8 a.m. Half were actually being used by guests, the other half were claimed with towels and magazines by those who wouldn’t return until sometime after 10 or 11. Pretty tacky, but that seems to be a general trend at resorts like this.

Even with the service issues, we still had a nice family break. I would not recommend this hotel for a quiet, romantic weekend. This place has more kids than Disneyland. But it’s an ideal family getaway, especially for those living Southern California. I’m sure I’ll return.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank Ultrak495
There are newer reviews for Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 13, 2007

Aside from the comfortable bed and good food, this resort was not what I was expecting. The layout was very weird and I often got lost, everything looked the same! There are shuttle service stops located throughout, but never saw the shuttle. Both nights we came home, the lights were completely out in all of the hallways leading up to our room, we had to use our cell phones to maneuver through and see what building we were walking through. I called them about it the first night, they should have made sure it wasn't going to happen again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2007

My wife and I stayed at this property (the hotel, not the Villas) last week and it's been 10 years since our last visit. Things have really changed and it's not for the better...

Our trip this time was due to a business function being held on the property and our group had booked at least 90 rooms. We paid $169 as part of the group rate and based on our experience, that was as much as anyone should pay for staying here. Again, we never visited the Villas so our comments are just for the hotel.

The check-in process was cold and the front desk clerk was robotic and unwelcoming. Not a big deal but definitely an unusual Westin reception/welcome.

Our room was small, faced the parking lot and, even worse, we found three cockroaches in the bathroom -- one even climbed up my leg on my pants as soon as I walked in. I felt like we just checked into one of those cheap, seedy motels next to the interstate rather than a Westin --- a chain that I've had much appreciation for in the past.

Needless to say, I called the front desk and expressed my concerns (they didn't seem alarmed about this situation) so they moved us to another building/room that was larger, better furnishings and had a view of the pool area. No cockroaches were seen but we certainly didn't go barefoot in the middle of the night! To be fair, this 2nd room was furnished in a contemporary style and my wife was pleased with the amenities (large dual sinks, plenty of counter space, couch/seating area, etc.). Also, we always appreciate the Heavenly Bed.

When I mentioned the cockroach situation to my business associates, several others had the same exact experience. I didn't poll everyone especially since many of the attendees were our customers! I only hope this wasn't as wide spread as it appeared to be.

Aside from that, the property is very big and rather bland in style. I remember it being much more impressive 10 years ago and I feel the property has been neglected since. Our family has been staying down the road at the Marriott Desert Springs (both the hotel and the villas) for the past 5 years every Easter and we love it. I should write a review about that place but that will have to wait for another day.

I thought other potential visitors to the Westin Mission Hills should be warned about our experience. I'm not saying don't stay here, just don't expect it to be on par with other Westin properties. Don't spend more than we did or you'll likely be disappointed. Also, this property is better suited for young families with small children that enjoy the quiet and condo-like arrangement of the buildings.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RockeeRhode
Reviewed May 11, 2007

I paid $79 a night for my 3 night stay over the weekend 4th to 7th May 2007 via Hotwire. As with most reviewers, I was impressed by the grounds and the general setting. My room was very nice, spacious, clean and a view over the pool area. The only downside was that the internet connection (the actual plug) was broken.

As I was only there until about 09:00 and didn't return until after 23:00, I can't comment on how crowded the pool was. All I can say is that I saw only one other person when I used it at 07:00. (It was stil over 80°F at that time of day!)

Beware, however, they charge you a 20 buck a day "Resort Service Fee", whether or not you use any of the facilities.

At $79 a night was this a real bargain? Absolutely! Would I stay again at this price? Absolutely! If I had $300 a night to spend on a hotel, would I choose this one? Absolutely not!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank jb012
Reviewed May 8, 2007

I am writing this review about a year after we actually stayed there. From what I remember the grounds were nice. The rooms were huge and nicely appointed. Nice golf course. We only stayed for a weekend and had a pretty good experience. We would return again.

Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed May 6, 2007

From the very beginning, my husband and I found the resort staff to be very friendly, helpful and expeditious. The grounds are lovely with all of the fountains, landscaping, pools and golf course. We especially enjoyed taking our morning walks along the walking path that spans the entire length of the golf course and the resort grounds. Our bedroom was huge with modern furnishings and an extremely comfortable and plush king bed. The bath was equally as spacious and was appointed with a granite topped double sink vanity. The adult only La Paloma pool, where we spent most of our time, was very nice, quiet and well maintained. We found the large thermos jugs of ice water with cups at the pool area to be a nice touch on a hot day. Overall, we had a fabulous weekend at the Westin and look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 24, 2007

We went to the mission hills resort during peak season and the price on their website was $289 a night. Granted the resort was nice it wasn't what I would consider a 5-star resort, although the people that were staying at the resort sure had the attitude.
The resort never tells you til the end of your stay about the $20 a night resort fee, but we did know about it before hand. Because of this we asked about the spa and the person at the front desk told us that the spa entrance was included in the resort fee, so we were not bothered because it would have been worth it then. So we planned on going to the spa the next day, there we found out entrance was not included and was $25 per person. After a weekend we realized the resort fee covers pretty much nothing, oh except in room coffee which I never used and I have never paid extra for it at other resorts.
If you want to get a drink at any of the bars plan on paying $10/ mixed drink or $7/beer.
Although I think this resort is AMAZINGLY OVERPRICED the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were large. The staff is very friendly and tries to help when neccesary ie: When we got to the resort our in room safe was still locked from the previous occupant, we called and the security was there within 10 mins.
I would not return to this resort but if you are looking for a place to just relax and not be bothered this would be a good place for you.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!