“Unforgettable B-Day Weekend”

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I had an event with my company (Yamaha Motor Corp)in February and I had a great experience then. I went back on June 18th to celebrate my 30th B-Day and I enjoyed my stay specially because I got to enjoy the resort to the fullest and I wasn't working. Todd Sisler and Christal Lees helped me with my reservation and surprised me upon my arrival to my room, I found a champagne and chocolate cover strawberries. Thats special thought ment so much for me and my boyfriend. a couple of friends joined us on Saturday 06/19/10 and they had their own room that they loved and they loved the resort as a whole and they mentioned to me that they will definetely go back. We might be planning another trip in few month and most likely we will stay at the Westin again. Every employee at the Westin Hills is very friendly and caring. My overall experience was more than amazing.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
MMacleod1, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2010

Thank you so much for sharing your review with us, and for making us a part of your birthday celebration this year. Our staff works hard to ensure each guest has a personal, revitalizing experience - we appreciate your acknowledgement of Todd and Crystal and will be sure to pass your thoughts along to them. We look forward to welcoming you again soon, and invite you to contact us if there is anything we can do to better your stay.

Stay well.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,566)

Reviewed July 4, 2010

I used Starwood points, so it only cost about $30 (resort fee) for the night. A nice Westin property but not quite up to the usual. Didn't get to play the golf course but it looked nice.
Food was a little pricey, but it is hard to find much that is reasonable in Palm Springs.
If you're paying full price there are probably better options.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
MMacleod1, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2010

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I truly regret that your stay was not what you expected. We constantly work to be certain we are providing each individual guest with the best stay possible, and I can assure you your comments have been noted. Should you decide to stay with us in the future, please feel free to contact me personally at wmhr@westin.com so that I can ensure your experience mirrors our dedication to service and excellence.

Reviewed July 3, 2010

Westin Mission Hills has been a special getaway for us for many years. Everything seems to be a quality 10 everytime we visit. The most important thing to me has been the level of treatment from the staff when we are there. It is very rare to feel that you are being handle on an individual basis in a resort this size. Since our first visit it has felt like we are staying with friends rather than vacationing at a resort. For us it has been an experience few couples ever get to experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review - we were grateful to have the chance to learn about your experience with us. Taking time for relaxation is so important and we are glad that our resort has become your getaway destination. We constantly strive to provide all of our guests with the individualized service that you have described. If there is anything we can do to ensure your next stay is just as inspiring, please feel free to contact us directly at whmr@westin.com.

Reviewed July 1, 2010

Stayed in the Westin Mission Hills for just one night July 1st to July 2nd as a pit stop between San Diego and Las Vegas. Compared to the previous two upper class chain hotels we booked (Renaissance in Hollywood and Hyatt Mission Bay in San Diego) it was absolutely perfect for us. Check in took 20 minutes (actual check in: 5 minutes, lots of useful tipps/recommendations by the concierge desk: 15 minutes) and was really warm and helpful. So was all the staff we had contact with. We stayed in a room with a mountain view, which was fine. But the room itself was great (Minibar & extra Fridge, spacy, nicely decorated). Balcony with seating. Two big 'ups' for me: 1. complimentary internet - good. 2. Lots of towels - neat. Pool was nice, didnt have time for the restaurants, which seemed a little expensive. Rates were better than previous two hotels. In short: Really nice & relaxing stay. Would definetely return for a couple of days...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ölli
MMacleod1, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2010

Thank you for enjoying part of your vacation here at the Westin Mission Hills Resort. We appreciate the compliments and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed June 27, 2010

Stayed at both the WMH and the Miramonte resort during the same trip to the desert cities and the contrast was so great that I have to begin with a ranking. We've experienced four of the resorts in the area in the last few years and without question WMH goes at the bottom (La Quinta is at the top, for what it's worth). It's a 70s condo complex essentially and I'd definitely put "resort" and "spa" in quotation marks because it really doesn't emphasize either. Before I go on, I have to note that we are not golfers so this may well be the perfect place for golf. But if you are going to the desert to relax, treat yourself, sit in the jacuzzi, and go to the spa, you really should consider carefully before choosing the WMH. And you should especially not pay full price regardless because it is most definitely not worth it. Some points in no particular order:

1) "Spa" closes at 4:30-5:00, which means you can forget an end-of-day anything. It's also small, stuck in a corner of the condo complex and really poorly designed (you enter through the back of the front counter of a shop). And the one day I set aside to go to the spa it was closed. CLOSED. What is the point of a "resort and spa" if the spa is closed? Compare to The Well at Miramonte -- we're in a different league entirely.

2) Pool almost exactly like the pool area in the condo complex where we live. In other words: not special or even remotely interesting. Compare to the jacuzzis under the pergolas and palm trees at the Hyatt.

3) Everyday business is really a comedy of errors: they advertise a $5 "green credit" if you forego maid service but you will have to make a bunch of calls and insist they in fact give you the promised credit (another review noted the same).

4) There are blue recycling bins in the room that are TREATED AS GARBAGE. I have to say that this is extremely annoying. Why bother with the deception? Note that I am not pointing fingers at housekeeping staff who I have to assume are just doing as they are told, which is essentially that the trash and the recycling are one and the same.

5) Schmutz on the duvet cover; stains on the pillow case.

6) Ground crew start with the buzz saws, blowers, and mowers at 7:50 sharp. I know this is a cool time of day but it is also the time of day when people usually sleep.

7) Food at the Den is good and the wait staff there very friendly. Breakfast at Bella Vista is less than good. Oh, and, if you bought a package with buffet breakfast you can forget that because there is no buffet. Plus my husband got sick from the salmon.

8) Hands down the worst hotel gym I have seen anywhere. They don't even have a complete set of dumbbells! I was going to take a picture of the rack because it was almost comic. Could they not go down the road to a sporting goods store and pick up a set? No mist in the "misted outdoor workout area." No pilates equipment (advertised) that I could see. No exercise classes (advertised). No cold scented towels (advertised).

There is actually more but this should suffice to communicate the essence of the review, which is 2.5 stars, mediocre, least desirable option in the desert. It seems like the management has either recently changed or will change soon because the whole operation seems poorly organized. I'd say there is a very good reason why they have to use Priceline and Hotwire to book most of their rooms. If it were fantastic, there would be more people booking directly.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of our property. We sincerely appreciate the feedback to ensure that we are continually improving our beautiful resort.

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give us your feedback about our food in the Den and friendliness of our staff. I do apologize that your experience with breakfast in Bella Vista was less than satisfactory. I shared your comments with our executive chef to look into the matter and ensure that we serve the freshest of products as we pride ourselves in providing ‘super foods’ menu for a healthy and renewing choice. As for the absence of a buffet during your visit, we should do a better job in communicating to our guest when there is a slight change in our offerings. Although all of our buffet items are available in our breakfast menu, we make the decision to forego the buffet during low occupancy because there is a standard food set-up with waste of 35-40% for a buffet. This has to do with food and beverage regulation, any food once displayed in public outlets cannot be re-served or re-used, therefore it ends up in waste (we do participate in compost waste recycling), with higher occupancy/higher cover count, the waste is far less.

Reviewed June 26, 2010

As much as I love Westin hotels, the Rancho Mirage property is a poster child for bad customer service. (2) years ago while staying there, my wife, myself and my then 1o year old daughter as well as other patrons were involved in a altercation with members of a Family Reunion who were also staying there. We found out... that the hotel has had problems with members of this reunion party year on year but they are always welcomed back. After much investigation and complaint the hotel manager on duty reduced our room rate to make us go away. What still upsets me is that for now the 2nd year in a row, the Westin Rancho Mirage has accepted the reservation of this troublesome family reunion, opting for these troublesome people over good customers. I don't get it, Westin should be doing better than this.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent review of our resort. We regret that your experience was influenced by another group. We have a strong resort security team on-site to assist with incidents such as you have described and we will not tolerate behavior that affects the tranquility of our resort and the enjoyment of our guests.

Please visit again soon and stay well.

Reviewed June 24, 2010

We stayed at the property for 3 nights. They had a incentive for "going green" if you skipped maid service, they would credit your account $ 5 per night. We had two rooms and took advantage of this promotion for 1 night. I spoke to the head of cleaning to have the credit, i had to ask several times before we finally got the credit. My wife ordered and paid $ 18 for a burger and fries, we never even got the fries. After we checked out, we realized that we left a phone charger in one of the rooms. We called several times to have them check to see if they found it. We never even got a call! I guess since we left, we were no longer important to them! I e-mailed the manager about the situation and never got a response!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your recent review. We continuously strive to become a more environmentally friendly resort. In this transformation we implemented several new initiatives. It is only by receiving comments from valued guests, such as yourself, that we are able to improve and enhance these new processes and support our teams with adequate training tools. We thank you for you interest in our green initiatives. If you would like to learn more about this, please do not hesitate to contact Tijs Klerx at ranch@westin.com.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Hilton Garden Inn Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!