“A nice property with poor service.”

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
New York, NY
“A nice property with poor service.”
Reviewed January 19, 2007

We came here over christmas break for a family vacation. The property is great and the golf was excellent, but the service was one of the worst I have ever experienced. Here are some examples of the poor service... The hotel lost a fax from the airline saying our flight was changed....Lunch at the pool took 45 minutes bc they closed the pool kitchen....it took 15 minutes for toilet paper one morning....The waiter at breakfast constantly overcharged us for the breakfast buffet....

The rooms are very large, but in poor condition. I thought maybe there was a frat party in the room before we got there. The airc onditioner was broken when we arrived. The lighting fixtures were all broken. All in all, the shower was nice and the bed was comfortable.

The conceirge was helpful with food reservations and the pool was very nice. There is a water slide for the kids and two hot tubs.

I liked that this hotel has villa type accomadations as opposed to a high rise hotel. The only thing is that you must request a building close to the pool and main house, otherwise you are far away from everything and must use the golf cart service to get around.

• Liked — Golf and the Pool
  • Disliked — Service and room conditions
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank drstr8teeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Korean first
Catlett, Virginia
Reviewed January 17, 2007

We just had a wonderful, relaxing get away at the Westin. Our room was well appointed, clean and convenient to many attractions in the area. Pool was great; we don't golf but met some people who said golfing was wonderful; and don't miss out on the wonder spa treatments. I would certainly recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2007
1 Thank Hudson12534
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 17, 2007

When I am on a golfing vacation, I like to leave feeling relaxed instead of feeling like I need another vacation! This place gave me just that. My husband and I stayed in a "workout" room for our anniversary weekend. The room was very spacious even though it was not considered a suite. The treadmill they had in the room was top of the line. The room was very clean and just to my taste. I've heard that other guests have felt that the decor was too corporate. I did not feel this way since I love the modern, minimilist look and feel. The service was great all around. The people at the check in desks were very nice. The people answering the phone at their Service Express desk were also very helpful and nice on the phone. At one point I over stuffed the safe which made the lock jam. I called the Service Express desk and they had someone there to open the safe in less then 10 minutes. Although I was at a resort, the level of privacy was excellent. It was quiet and romantic. The food was excellent at the Bella Vista along with its service. The Pete Dye course had some extremely tough, fast greens but it was a beautiful well-groomed course. Overall, I recommend staying here. Although my husband and I are down to earth folks, I honestly could not have asked for a better weekend. I couldn't find anything to complain about.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jessicayl
california
Reviewed January 17, 2007

We cut short our stay at this property over Thanksgiving because of the inferior service. Promisingly, the concierge had contacted us weeks ahead of our stay to ask if there was anything special we'd like. At which point, I confirmed the type of room we wanted, confirmed our request for a crib and gave a flexible list of restaurants with days and times we'd like. When we arrived, the room we requested was not available so we were given something else. We had to call 3 times for a crib. No dinner reservations were made for us, leaving us with few options. We went back to the concierge desk twice and still was only able to obtain 1 dinner reservation for our 5 night stay. When we booked the resort I specifically asked and was told there was a kiddie pool for our toddler. Well, there was a kiddie pool, but it was at the adjoining Villas and they would not allow us to use it, even for one afternoon. After having to repeatedly call for room service and housekeeping to clean our room, we gave up. We moved over to the La Quinta Resort where we finally felt like we were on vacation. We are returning to that property in April.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank pvprincess1
Seattle
Reviewed January 15, 2007

We stayed at the Westin Mission Hills resort over New Years. This was our second stay at the resort. The first time was two years ago. At that time we went to a villa sales pitch and bought a timeshare for every other year despite swearing we were not going to do that. Since then we have also stayed at the villas twice so we have a good basis for comparison.

The bottom line for us is it's essentially a fine resort. The villas are better than staying at the resort but this is a solid four star resort. The rooms at the resort are not great but they are okay and should be just fine for most. I understand some of the comments about some dark rooms and brick enclosed patios on the parking lot. Best bet is to get a golf course view unit or at least a second floor unit with a mountain view. At some time in the not too distant future, Westin is going to need to decide what to do about some of the rooms that are starting to show their age. Other than the heavenly beds, the rooms themselves are not the drawing point of this resort.

The draw is really the beautiful setting fronting the golf course, the pools, the tennis courts and we think the restaurant as well. Despite a couple minor drawbacks it's hard not to think "Life is good" when staying here. Our experience this year is that service was prompt and good. A couple years ago we would have said hit and miss.

As I mentioned, the villas are very nice. Thus far we have been very pleased with our purchase and would do it again. We also used our points to go to Westin Kierland in Scottsdale and found it probably even better than Westin Mission Hills. Life is good indeed!!

Stayed December 2006
Palo Alto
Reviewed January 7, 2007

I almost cancelled our reservation at the Westin because of some of the reviews on here. I'm glad I did not! We stayed at the "Villas" (the timeshare portion of the resort) and had a great, large 1 bedroom unit. The kitchen was full-size and completely equipped, including a washer/dryer, coffee maker, blender, etc.

The bed was indeed Heavenly! And there was a large Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom which our kids enjoyed very much. Some of the units don't have this, and I'd recommend getting it, because the rooms that do have these tubs seem to be more updated, or at least the floorplan is more appealing and not so boxy.

The decor of the room was quite nice, and I can see where some people commented on things being a bit worn -- some of the chair legs were banged up, there was a bleached streak on the carpet in one place where it looked like they had tried to clean a stain. But the overall feeling of the unit was just fine. We were given a fold away bed and a crib for the kids at no extra charge.

Our kids loved the water slide at the pool and the delicious smoothies. all of the staff were friendly and professional. The golf course was beautiful, and they were very cool with letting our kids on the driving range (no cost, by the way). There is a modest playground at one end of the resort, but the best part of going to the playground (in my children's opinion) was riding on the golf cart "shuttle".

Is this a fabulous resort? No. We're not talking Grand Wailea, Four Seasons, etc. But it is very pretty, and a great place for a family with kids. By the way, definitely book online . We got a MUCH lower rate doing it that way.

• Liked — Spacious, fully equipped condo unit.
  • Disliked — No daily maid service.
  • Tips/Secrets — book online!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank pamom12
Coto de Caza, California
Reviewed January 6, 2007

If service and room ambiance matter to you, you might enjoy another hotel more. Read all of the Tripadvisor reviews for this property and decided to give it a try. Stayed for three days and two nights. Of greatest frustration were numerous problems with the room itself and the amount of time I had to spend to try to find solutions (repeated phone calls, staff coming to the room, dealing with incorrect information and being passed from person to person to re-explain the situation). Interacting with the staff, however, from check-in to departure and across a range of activites was an overall negative and would cause me not to return. Would also comment that I was disappointed with the serious gloominess of the room. Inadequate light to read in bed, no light to read on the couch or chair. Dark, dreary bath. Black furnishings compound the problem. Felt as though I was in a cave whenever in the room. I didn't enjoy my stay and wouldn't recommend the hotel for the reasons given. These items may or may not be of concern to the reader.

• Liked — Parking convenient to the hotel room.
  • Disliked — The location is too remote, especially for off-site dining.
  • Tips/Secrets — Is a very large, spread out complex. Ask to see your room location at check-in to consider whether it fits your needs well.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!