“Great resort but needs work!”

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
San Diego, California
“Great resort but needs work!”
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Overall a nice resort, rooms nice and spacious, grounds lovely. Relatively peaceful and quiet. Large property but not that hard to walk around and find everything. Staff friendly. Adult pool a great idea. Nice location, not far from the main drag (route 111) where you can find everything you need.

On the down side, major maintainance issues - the main pool closed our whole stay which was a disappointment - meant that every kid in the resort was at the other family pool, and the adult pool was crowded. The fridge in our room was broken, so we couldn't use it. The streams and ponds were filthy - probably from all the ducks that plagued us. Finally, the was a very loud machine noise the whole afternoon we were at the adult pool, which disturbed our peace. Might go back if they could fix these things. Also the resort charge was kind of steep - you definitely don't get your money's work out of it.

1 Thank sdgirl_10
MMacleod1, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
Thank you very much for your recent review of our property. We appreciate your comments about the property and will take the necessary steps to correct the issues described.

Regarding the maintenance closure of the Las Brisas, we did have to attend to some defects with both motors that service the pool prior to Memorial Day weekend. We regret the inconvenience and hope that you are able to return, at your convenience, to experience the resort at its finest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 29, 2010

We needed a week of rest and relaxation. We didn't use many of the resort amenities. The best features of a resort are sometimes intangible: For example, the front desk and concierge provided good info upon check-in, but didn't harass us for time share presentations, etc. the rest of the week. We enjoyed trips to Joshua Tree Nat'l Monument and a trip up the Palm Springs tram. Both are well worth time and $.

The resort is very close to Sam's Club/Costco/Walmart if you need to stock your refrigerator. There's also a terrific Trader Joe's located about 5 miles from the hotel.

The rooms are spacious...huge bathroom with the best shower we have ever experienced and has a huge spa-tub.

The "balcony" or veranda overlooking the golf course was also very nice and afforded a lot of privacy.

One negative...apparently the resort is in midst of changing wireless providers, so there was only one broadband hook-up available. The desk didn't explain this to us, sloughed us off to the Westin IT service...they didn't know what was going on, either.

All of our contact with all resort employees was outstanding, otherwise. Staff is well trained and very courteous. For example, on a walk over to the hotel side, a management person stopped her cart and asked if she could take a picture of us.

Restaurant Recommendation: Serenata Mexican Bar & Grill in Palm Desert. One of the finest, cleanest, beautifully decorated, Mexican restaurants my wife and I have enjoyed.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the resort. Your comments about the service, friendliness and cleanliness of the resort are very much appreciated The resort and the Villas are on separate broad band systems and the Villas have been undergoing some upgrade work. We regret the inconvenience and trust that you will return to try out the new system in the future.

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Just stayed here for two nights... though I am a Starwood member, I booked on Hotwire. I would not pay Starwood prices for this hotel, but for the deal I got ($106 including the $27 resort fee), we had a really enjoyable, relaxing stay. (Of course, resort fees are ridiculous and should be illegal. How is a fitness center and a pool NOT included in the room rate? The Westin is far from being the only hotel that charges these fees, but it still isn't right).
For us to enjoy this hotel, it helped (greatly) that the hotel was at most 10% full when we arrived. The very, very nice front desk clerk gave us a large room on the 2nd (top) floor overlooking the golf course. The hotel is spread out in various buildings between Dinah Shore Drive and a golf course... definitely try to get one on the course. There are an amazing amount of rooms with sad views facing the vast expanses of parking lot. All rooms have a balcony or deck with two chairs and a table, and I don't know how you can ask a guest to look at parked cars in a lot from those rooms as your "view." Bad design, and so unnecessary.
The hotel itself is circa early 80s, but the rooms feature the current Westin decor. The beds were fantastic, but the bathroom fan sounded like an old diesel truck engine (loud and rumbling) and the lighting in the toilet/shower area is poor. The carpet was clean and the furniture looked new. Overall, our room was huge but really underfurnished.
The grounds are well-kept for the most part, but some of the planting areas are bare and the exterior lighting by some rooms and on some walkways is either falling down or being held together with painter's tape.
Everyone I met on the staff was very friendly and tried hard to be helpful and courteous.
The Westin is located way closer to the 10 freeway than the Highway 111 -- which, unfortunately, is where all the restaurants are located in the desert. The nearest Starbucks (where we had breakfast every morning) is about 5 miles away, at the corner of Bob Hope Drive and the 111). The drive is quick, but it's a long way to go for coffee. There is a Pavilions Supermarket on Bob Hope Drive about a mile away if you need to fill up on water and soft drinks (and wine), which we did.
There are three pools on the grounds... even with the hotel being empty, they were pretty full. I hate to think what this place is like when it's crowded. The pools are very chlorine-y (which, I guess, is better than the other way around), and some of the lounge chairs are a little tired looking. The pool areas weren't cleaned up throughout the day, so a lot of used towels remained on lounge chairs long after the guests were gone. It doesn't look good and makes it hard to figure out where you can get a chair.
For us, the Westin Mission Hills was the perfect place to have a cheap escape from reality in the desert. At the price we paid per night, I was a very happy guest and would definitely return.

2 Thank Andrew W
Thank you very much for your recent review of our property. We are glad that you find the resort experience to be pleasant and renewing.

The leadership team has addressed the issue of our pool areas being checked and cleaned on a regular basis. We have stressed the importance of this for our guests at all times. The resort has also created work orders to address the specific exterior lighting, landscaping and room noise concerns.

We look forward to your return visit. The surrounding area has many wonderful restaurants, shopping experiences and we have even found a Starbucks a little closer to the resort at Monterrey & Dinah Shore.

Stay Well.
San Deigo
Reviewed May 27, 2010

My friends and I traveled to the Westin for a girls getaway. The grounds were super clean and the staff that worked within the premises were amazing as well. Pool area is great on hot days and the bar next to the pool could not be more convenient. Poolside food selection and quality could use a bit of help, but that's my only slight negative to my whole experience there.

As with all Westins, the beds are amazing!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank L3SLI3_SD
Thank you for your recent review of our property. It sounds like you had a great gewtaway with your friends. We will let our associates at the pool know how their service and attention makes all the difference in the stay experience.

Thank you for your comments on the poolside menu, our F&B team will take this under consideration. We look forward to your return stay with us.

Reviewed May 26, 2010

First impression, this property is gorgeous. Sweeping views, gorgeous grounds. That's where the good feeling ends. I was just there for one over night. I was charged at $27 "service fee" WITH tax totalling nearly $30. Which amounted to the fee for parking my car for less than 24 hours at a hotel set on many acres with abundant parking. I didn't use the internet, spa services or anything else this fee was charged for. Nor did I receive a newspaper which seemed to be the only amenity to justify this exorbitant fee. When I inquired about the newspaper, I was told I would have to walk to the bell desk at the front curb to obtain my own paper. That is totally unreasonable for a hotel of this caliber. My room was quite a distance from that lobby entrance. Do they expect guests to walk there in their robes and pajamas if they want to enjoy the newspaper in their room before dressing for the day? I was told "there is a problem with the delivery service for the newspaper". Ok, I guess so!

When we checked in the room (hungry and tired from a long day on the road), there were a. no robes in the room b. no room service menu and c. no TV station guide. In fact there was very very little information on the hotel itself. I couldn't even find a folder or paper indicating when check out time was. I had to call 3 separate times each time I found another item "missing" from the room. I guess that's what my "resort fee" went to: 3 different staff people coming 3 different times to deliver small items that should have been in the room to begin with.

The morning of checkout I received no bill slipped under my door as most hotels of this caliber provide. I know I should have stopped by the desk before checking out but as they had my credit card and we were in a hurry to get on the road I (stupidly) decided not to.

Only to discover a bill that makes no sense to me and no one at the front desk who can explain the numerous erroneous charges on my credit card. I went to the bar ONE time for happy hour and the restaurant ONE time for breakfast yet there are 6 charges demonstrated on my bill.

Now I'm in the position of having to dispute the charges and work it out with this inefficient and poorly managed hotel.

The most beautiful grounds will not make up for the poor customer service at a hotel such as this. I had just come from a Marriott in LA where I had newspapers each morning, parking for $10/day, an accurate bill slipped under my door at checkout and robes in the rooms.

I normally really enjoy Westins but this one, no thanks.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for recent review of our property. We apologize for the inconveniences described and regret that we were unable to address some of the concerns during your stay. We will work hard to train our staff to better recognize and explain our guest services.

We do provide weekday newspaper service delivery to each guestroom. There seemed to be a breakdown in service provided and for that we are very sorry. On weekends we do only provide newspapers at the bell desk and in our restaurant outlets as there is far less demand.

In endeavoring to be a "greener" resort we no longer deliver guest room folios reducing our paper usage and electricity usage for golf carts. All guest folios can be accesssed through the guest service portal located on each television, using the menu button. This would be the same area where you can access movies. Upon check-out we e-mail your folio to you using the e-mail address provided at check -in.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you at our beautiful resort again soon.

los angeles
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We are on the last day of a long weekend spent at the Westin Mission Hills -- it has been quite lovely with a couple of caveats. The good: we got an incredible rate on hotwire, and the hotel and grounds are beautiful and it's definitely a very quiet, calm and spread out space. The pool area is great and our 4 year old had a lot of fun (although she was too small to use the slide - even with an adult. They have a lifeguard stationed at the top which is probably a good thing). The rooms are all updated with the latest amenities and decor, etc. The bed is super comfortable with nice sheets. There was an odd smell in our room that I couldn't place - I wasn't sure if it was a spa-like smell or a body odor smell, but i only smelled it while sitting on the bed. Weird. Anyway, overall was wonderful with a couple annoying items - #1 -charging for coffee. I understand paying a $27 daily resort fee is now common at all resorts. This includes wifi, parking etc. Just outside the restaurant in the mornings they have a self-serve coffee kiosk where you can BUY a small paper cup for $2. You have to go into the restaurant to buy the cup. For $27/day I would think they could offer complimentary coffee instead of charging a petty $2 fee. Sorry but many resorts offer free coffee in the lobby and I think it's ridiculous that the high resort fee doesn't cover this. The breakfast buffet is lovely but at $24 is also a little high. My husband ordered an omelette a la carte because he didn't want a full buffet but the omelette alone was $18! No potatoes or any accoutrements. However children under 6 get a free breakfast with a paying adult so that is nice. Children 6-12 are $10. My #2 issue was the refrigerator in our room was connected to the light switch when you first walk in. We couldn't figure out why the fridge kept shutting off, but some food we put in there became spoiled etc. We started leaving this light switch on but the housekeeping kept turning it off every day. Why connect a refrigerator to a light switch without leaving a note or a sign or something above it. Or put it on a different outlet.
Anyway, aside from those little annoyances we had a lovely time and a great experience at the Westin Mission Hills Resort.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jules M
MMacleod1, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
Thank you very much for your recent stay and for posting your review of our property. We are glad you were able to take advantage of the many amenities available at the resort. We look forward to hosting you and your family on a return visit soon.

As for the small inconveniences noted we will address those concerns and ensure that the experience is even better upon your next visit.
virginia
Reviewed May 19, 2010

The staff at the Westin Mission Hills is outstanding. They always make us feel welcome and are very willing to answer questions and help with reservations, tee-times, etc. The property is well maintained and very lovely. We have stayed at this property in the past and will definately return again and again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words about our resort. We look forward to hosting you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!