“Nice but not remarkable”

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Olympia, Wash.
“Nice but not remarkable”
Reviewed June 3, 2006

I visited the resort - actually, I visited Palm Springs - only because I'd received an entreaty in the mail that obviously was a timeshare promotion: stay 3 nights for $265, plus receive $125 gift certificate for use on-site. Of course I had to take the tour, etc. but I expected that as a condition of the package. I had no intention of buying (and still don't, it wouldn't be practical for me) but somebody traveling with family who's interested in "destination" resorts might be. The "villa" units were nice and like a fully furnished apartment. The resort units, where I stayed, were nice enough but a little pedestrian. There is no elevator to serve 2nd-floor units, so you have to haul your stuff up and down. (Still, I have to think there's a hidden service elevator since the maid carts made it up there. What do they do for disabled accessibility??) There were mold spots beginning on the ceiling in the poorly-ventilated bathroom, and a slow leak in the toilet. The balcony was sagging. The message light on my phone didn't work, which I discovered on my own after missing a message. When I attempted to report it, a man came and changed the light bulb in the lamp near the phone (which was working fine). Also, there is a $20/night "service fee" which is supposed to include daily newspaper. I received only one. The pool was fine if a bit shallow for adults. For the price I paid, I really couldn't complain, but if I was paying full price I might find that it did not meet my expectations.

On the up side, the units were clean and the Westin trademark "heavenly bed" & "heavenly shower" are always welcome! Although I don't golf, there is of course a golf course, and also tennis/workout facility. I used the spa and had a fantastic facial and pedicure with Barbara, who was personable and did not give the hard sell on products as some spas do. The facility is very nice, quiet, and plush. Cranberry & grapefruit juice and water infused with cucumber & lemons is help yourself. Afterward, since I had nothing else to do till my friend arrived from LA, I lingered with a book in the comfortable waiting area. The only problem I encountered was some misunderstanding over hours. I was visiting just at the beginning of "low season" (aka hot season) when many businesses abbreviate their hours or close outright. The spa had reduced its hours (and increased its prices) but the information given out by the concierge still had its old hours and prices. I could not get a live person on the phone and had to call the concierge to call them. (This had to do with the message light issue, too; they had returned my call but I didn't know it.) I would recommend double-checking the hours and stopping by the spa personally to make appointments.

It's difficult to be here without a rental car (which I did have). The property is huge. There are "shuttle" stops throughout - the shuttles being a large golf cart. The property is walkable but in the heat (115 degrees max. while I was there, cooling off to 90 at night) it was easiest to drive. Also as the resort is miles away from either the downtown Palm Springs or El Paseo (Racho Mirage) shopping areas, and other tourist attractions, it would be difficult to do anything off-site without a vehicle. There did not appear to be any transit, and my friend remarked that she had not seen a taxi the entire time we were there. The service fee includes parking, and we were not charged extra even though my friend arrived in a separate car.

We ate on-site only once, at the Bella Vista restaurant. The breakfast buffet was adequate, although there did not appear to be anywhere to order the promised "custom" omelettes so I ate only the pre-prepared items. The waitress said nothing when my friend, who'd ordered off the menu, was obviously eating something I had brought from the buffet. In some places, she would've then been charged for the buffet.

All told, this is an okay property but not exceptional. Still, I have visited Westin and will continue to do so in coming years; they are nothing if not predictable.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank deborahj62

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Korean first
los angeles
Reviewed May 31, 2006

I totally agree with previous posts describing terrible service.

Got in at past 4:00pm which is the Hotel check-in time. Front desk made us wait for an hour, was told that there is no room available at the moment. Half of staff that we met, don't seem friendly at all. Bathroom was a little stinky/musty. Gave us a room at the farthest place with no views whatsoever. I think this is their normal treatment for priceline customers.

2 Thank bettergolf
San Francisco
Reviewed May 29, 2006

I read the reviews of the Westin Mission Hills Resort and I am not sure why there were so many negative reviews. Let me preface this by saying we got an incredible deal on Priceline, and my expectations were low after reading the reviews. Having said that, we had a very nice time at the Westin Mission Hills. The resort itself is older but they have done a nice job keeping it up. The staff was very nice and attentive. There were a few staff members that were a bit rude (the bartender at the Las Hadas Pool and one of the pool attendents at the main pool) but it was Memorial Day weekend and the place was packed with demanding guests.
We did not eat at any of the resort restaurants other than the poolside service. The prices poolside are similiar to other resort properties. There was Starbucks in-room coffee and we bought our own drinks to keep in our room.
This property is very spread out. There are golf carts that will take you around the property but you have to wait for them to pass by. We travelled with two children that loved the pools and waterslides. The pool had tons of chlorine but given the number of people it was to be expected.
I would return again, but I would not pay the prices listed online. For $300 a night, I think there are better resort choices.

2 Thank SanFranciscoMarie
Portland, OR
Reviewed May 23, 2006

I just stayed there for four nights over late May with my wife and two little kids. I must say my wife and I were a little disappointed. We have stayed in several Westins over the years and it is usually our favorite chain but this one fails to live up to Westin standards. The worst thing is the poor service. As other reviews have said, it definitely is not four star service. At check-in, there was all of one clerk with no apparent backup. The one other time I had to use the front desk because I lost my room key resulted in a 10-15 minute wait in line. At check-out, we called for a bell boy and finally packed up and left by ourselves when he failed to show after 15 minutes. Besides the service, the rooms were a little disappointing too. The carpets and the bathrooms had that worn down, beat up look. Although it would have been acceptable for a Holiday Inn, I expect more from a Westin. Otherwise the grounds and the pools were nice. It's very expansive with a beautiful old world Spanish mission feel. My kids certainly enjoyed the pool but I must say we had a better stay (for a cheaper price) at the Fantasy Springs Casino Resort.

2 Thank yiching
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed May 20, 2006

I have stayed at this property twice in the last two months, once in a villa and once in the standard hotel room. The grounds and pools are beautiful. Of course, the beds and showers are wonderful as in all Westins. However, the service is definitely not 4-star quality. Both of the units had plumbing problems. While the villa was fairly clean and well-maintained, the hotel room was dirty and musty. Both ice machines in both buildings were broken. I called the front desk to get ice, and they never showed up. Finally, I used the spa the second time I was out, and I was really disappointed. The staff were disinterested at best, almost rude, and the facilities were also dirty. The massage also was not that great (the masseuse smelled like she drank too much the night before). This spa is terrible compared to the spa at the Marriot Desert Springs, which I visited last year. Overall, I would not stay at this property again unless I got a VERY good deal. If you are going to pay full price, go to the Marriott.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank craezie
New York, NY
Reviewed May 16, 2006

We started out (and paid more for) the condo-type, time share accommodations at one end of the resort. Everything was acceptable (definitely not great) aside from the strange, leech-like bugs crawling all over the bathroom and in the bath tub. We checked in just before we wanted to have dinner so we called the front desk, reported the issue and asked that it be resolved by the time we returned from eating.
When we got back there were still a few bugs crawling on the floor, but the tub was drained of the stagnant water and bugs that were there when we first arrived. My best friend was really creeped out about the bugs so whenever I saw another one, I tried to kill and discard of it without her seeing me.
By morning, I wanted to prove to the hotel and cleaning staff just how bad the bug problem was so I started placing glasses upside down on the floor, trapping the bugs. We called to change our rooms and by the time we left, there were six glasses spread out on the bathroom floor.
Our new room in the main hotel section was much better, cleaner, bug-free and closer to the pool. The room was dark since the only light source was the sliding doors at one end. Since we were on the top floor, they could think about installing sky lights to open the room up a bit. Our view of the golf course was lovely and sitting outside at night was very peaceful since we were close to the water fountain.
To save a bit of money, we bought beer in town since we read in the hotel information booklet that we could request a fridge in the room. After purchasing the 12-pack, however, we were told that all of the fridges were being used so we were out of luck. I improvised and asked for a bucket of ice instead which they did provide me with. (I felt only slightly guilty as the ice melted and made a small puddle on the floor.)
The grounds were beautiful and the pool area was fun. Since it was Labor Day weekend and having never been in the desert heat before, we spent most of our time in the water. We felt perfectly comfortable acting like a couple of big kids since there were so many families around. Plenty of friendly people with surprisingly well-behaved children. Such a nice change of pace these days...
All in all, I would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank Rebekah G
Riverside, CA
Reviewed May 7, 2006

Stayed here with my wife for a quick weekend getaway. Luckily I used Priceline and ended up getting this hotel for a lot cheaper than the $280 it usually goes for. I can't complain about the grounds, pools and other outdoor areas were very nice, and you spend most of your time outside anyway. But for a Westin I expected a little more. The room was a little musty smelling when we checked in, so we had to leave the balcony door open for a while. The furnishings are the standard top of the line Westin stuff which made the smell bearable. The bathroom was nice and big, but the tub was very small.

Make sure to BYOB and keep it cool in your room. We had two beers, two glasses of wine and a shrimp cocktail at the lobby after checking in and our bill was $66 with tip!!! And that is a small tip as the service was understaffed and very slow. Beers at the pool are $6-$8, and mixed drinks as much as $12! Plus the resort fee of $20 per day adds up. My advice- if you get a good deal on the room, stay here, but stop at the grocery store on the way for snacks and drinks to keep in your room and cab it to the Riverwalk or Ruth Chris' for meals. You will get a much better meal for the same price or less and better service.

4 Thank ietrvls
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!