“Not completely disappointing, but would not stay again!”

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
California
“Not completely disappointing, but would not stay again!”
Reviewed April 21, 2006

After reading virtually all these reviews, I decided to give the Westin a try. While not completely disappointed, I still probably would not stay again. The hotel is very large, but there is not a lot to do. There is one main pool area and that's about it. We found ourselves locked out of the Villas pool area which we were surprised thinking we had full run of the facility. At $300 a night, I expected we did, but not so, Villa residents have special privileges. Our room was on the second floor facing the golf course, loved the balcony but the room was very dark (which was nice to sleep in) and somewhat dated. Just not my taste in decor I guess, a little modern. The bed was not as comfortable as some Westin bed's we've experienced, but the showerhead was very nice. The lighting was poor in the bathroom as well as for reading in bed. We did not try the food at the resort, we decided not to after ordering 4 cocktails at the pool and getting a $40 bill. Ouch. We went and bought a 12 pack of Heineken and headed to our balcony. The spa was very overpriced, so we did massages off site which was well worth it. The location is ok, not too far from everything; however, we found ourselves in Palm Springs everyday of our 4 days, so we'd probably stay closer to that area. In booking this hotel, it was between this or the Lodge at Rancho Mirage. We did have a chance to tour that hotel, and I would definitely stay there next time. Beautiful rooms, grounds and views!! We have stayed at the Hyatt Indian Wells and the Marriott Desert Springs, I would also stay at these properties again before the Westin.

8 Thank donnabaf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Korean first
seattle,wa
Reviewed April 20, 2006

Okay the pool was crowded and guests seem to have this daily war with the poolside chairs. Every day we were there the unfolding drama went like this:
1 or 2 people from a room or group goes to the pool @ 7am and spreads their towels etc. on a few chairs and then goes back to their room and sleeps or gets breakfast, whatever. Well when the average, or unknowing guest comes down at say 9am, all the chairs are covered with belongings and there is no place to sit poolside. So the hotel implemented a policy, pool attendants walk around the area and any chairs with items on them and no guests present @8am, the items get cleared and that makes the chairs available. First of all I think it's sad the Westin has to use this policy to combat selfish, rude guests who should know better than to try and save chairs in this manner, while people with small children who come down to the pool at a decent hour get screwed out of a place to sit. I must say it was very satisfying watching the "chairsharks" leisurely stroll down to pool around 10 am and the look of uttter dismay on their face when they 1. realize their items have been removed 2. try to act like they are shocked that they lost their chairs 3. call over an attendant, trying to act disappointed and/or pissed about the sitiuation 4. make up a story (I am quite sure the attendants have heard them all) about how they were only gone for a few minutes, although the chairs were cleared 2 hours before 5. and then realizing that the attendant wasn't going to budge, storming off in a huff... BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Anyways, we knew the policy after the first day and either came down at our leisure and waited til we found something or 1 day came down at 7am and just took it easy poolside (70 degrees at 7am, perfect). I've seen similiar things at other resorts, but never to this extreme, and anyone who comes on this website and complains about "losing" their chairs, or "rude" staff, should look at themselves first. Lot of "Primadonnas" at this place.

Okay, the room we got was excellent, a suite with seperate bedroom right on the golf course, 2 minute walk to the main pool and golf clubhouse. Golf was expensive ($155 a round) so I played only once at the Twilight rate ($80) and I have to say one of the best courses I have played in the area, although I would probably just go over to Desert Willow and play there for about 1/2 the price and THE best course in the area.

I didn't personally use roomservice but the family said that service was a little slow, I guess to be expected during sping break. Would also think a chain like the Westin would have planned accordingly knowing that they were going to be at full capacity, if it was at all possible.

Beautiful resort, very family friendly. And outside of some of the guests having a hard time dealing with the fact that "middle class America" goes on vacation too, very pleasant place to just getaway and forget what day it is. My 4 days there were among the best resort experiences I have had.

I have included pictures and hope that other members get in the habit of doing so because I believe it truly helps when we do our research on where we want to stay. Sorry I didn't take a picture of the actual "heavenly" bed, I can honestly say it was the first hotel bed I actually looked forward to climbing into every night, truly, truly the best I have slept in. Every morning it was "do I really want to get out bed and go get some of that sunshine beckoning me behind those curtains". I'll be going back next year for some more of that "good life"

10 Thank wagolfetc.
London
Reviewed April 18, 2006

Stayed here only because I was attending a conference at the resort. I read all the mixed reviews on here, so really didn't know what to expect. This was my experience:-

Room wasn't ready at check in, but received complimentary drinks while I waited. - Not bad..

Room itself was OK, ground floor, near a water feature. Lots of sunlight, very peaceful. Decor was good, fixtures and fittings relatively new, bathroom spacious. They provide all the toiletries. The bed was definitely the best feature and was very very comfortable for a hotel bed.

Food wasn't bad either. Room service always came promptly, but lots of hidden charges that bumped the price up. I was charged a resort fee of $20 a day, but this included broadband which I needed. However most hotels provide free internet as standard nowadays!

Theres a gym, pools, spa which i didn't use so can't comment. I think most people came to play golf. The golf course looked very well maintained.

I agree the Express Service was very hit and miss. But the thing that really annoyed me was the IDD calling service. A short 1 min call cost me $25! When I queried it they explained to me it was the connection charges. - Rubbish, its just plain excessive. I was roaming and couldn't pick up a phone signal (very annoying) and had to rely on the fixed line.

All in all I would say my stay here was good. A tip for any overseas travellers. Bring your driving licence and hire a car! Taxis here are a rip off and you will need a car to get into Palm Springs and the shopping in Palm Desert. The hotel does not provide a shuttle service.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank Dezzydez
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed April 17, 2006

For a 5 star hotel, this was definately not up to snuff. If you have a room on the main floor, be prepared to put up with an incredible amount of noise from the floor above. Also, make sure you do not get a room close to the "hospitality suites", as they are also very noisy.
I had a very enjoyable time at the spa. I had the best facial I have ever received.
However, on the second last night of our stay, I walked into the bathroom at 10 pm and found a cockroach crawling across the floor. I chased it out to the main room where my kids were sleeping and nailed it with a drinking glass. We told the fellow at the front desk about it, and he was apologetic, but basically said they can't do anything to prevent cockroaches from entering on the ground floor rooms, and he didn't offer any sort of compensation either. So I guess the best rule is, if you're going to stay here, stay on the second floor.

Stayed April 2006
4 Thank tlange2014
San Diego
Reviewed April 13, 2006

I booked our reservation on the Starwood website and received a confirmation and an email confirming it. I called a day before we were to arrive to reconfirm, and was told the reservation had been cancelled but they didn't know why. I asked if they had a room available, and was told they did. They could make me a new reservation, but not for my original room rate of $270. I would have to pay $440 a night. $270 was "not available." I was transferred to someone else who told me Travelocity cancelled my reservation, which was odd since I didn't book it with Travelocity. And they could not honor the original price of $270 if they rebooked it, but they did have rooms available if I wanted to pay $440 a night. I was then transferred to the front desk manager who told me the same story, and when I started to press the issue with her put me on hold, then came back on the line and said the hotel was sold out, no rooms available. I called Starwood and they viewed the reservation, said it looked fine and had no idea why it would have been cancelled. They also confirmed that the hotel was NOT sold out. They called the hotel and were not satisfied with the response either, but they were nice enough to comp us and we are staying in another Starwood hotel.

Stayed April 2006
3 Thank SueZeeQueSanDiego
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed April 11, 2006

I strongly recommend to anyone viewing this hotel online on the Starwood site to stay away from this property. I recently returned after having stayed here previously on four occasions. My colleague and I arrived at 4:15 to check into our rooms. As we went to enter her room, we opened the door to discover a family already in the room. When I called the front desk to explain what happened, they did not act surprised and put me on hold for ten minutes so that they could research the situation. After some time, a bellman appeard to take us to another room and as we opened the door, we noted a room where the bed had only a mattress pad, clearly a room not ready for a guest. I again called the front desk and they again seemed to react as if this was business as usual. I was again placed on hold. After another 20 minutes on hold we made the journey to the lobby to speak with the staff in person. Again, NO apologies, no real concern and no sense of urgency to assign my colleague a room. To say I was upset, confused and embarrassed is an understatement. I asked for the GM at this point and twenty minutes later was greeted by the Rooms Manager who despite his attempts at an apology seemed mostly concerned with "What he could do to find out what happened with his staff". It should be no surprise to hear this sad level of service and execution occurs in the hotel restaurant. My experience there was only two tables filled in entire restaurant and 15 minutes before a server ever appeared at the table. Take my advice, save your money, stay anywhere but this place! They don't care about service, room readiness, or YOU.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank Carrie S
United States
Reviewed April 8, 2006

I was really looking forward to my stay at the Westin but I was very disappointed. We had a ground floor room which due to the design was very dark and in addition to being over looked by a room approximately 4 metres away there was also a path directly outside our window. For privacy we kept the curtains partly closed. Lighting was very dim and added to the dreariness.

Apart from a broken chair which that had not been replaced the furnishings and bathroom were excellent.

The distance from the car park to the room was a bit daunting and scary at night.

When the wind blows, which apparently it does often, the doors rattle constantly.

Also they charge you a $20 per day resort charge, this is stated if you book through the Westin site and click on additional charges but not shown if you book via Expedia or other booking company.

Felt that this was overpriced.

4 Thank Vendue2
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!