“loved the westin!!!”

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed January 18, 2006

we rented 3 rooms for my daughter's birthday last weekend and were a little afraid after reading so many iffy reviews.....we were blown away from all the wonderful service we were given!!! starting from the reservationist to the pool staff....everyone went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. yes, it is a big resort and we were put in building#13.. a lovely bellman drove in front of us to a parking spot and unloaded all our luggage to the second floor. (don't know why people complained about schlepping their luggage when help is available)..the rooms were simple and elegant w/ nice views and the maids brought anything we asked for in a timely manner...guillermo at season's restaurant prepared a personalized menu for us as well as decorating the table w/ balloons and confetti..all w/out asking...my daughter loved having golf carts drive them anywhere and once again it took seconds for them to pick us up. we have been visiting the palm springs area for the last 20 years and have stayed at several of the resorts including la quinta and our stay at the westin blew them all away! we will be back to take advantage of the room deals u get w/ the time share presentation even if it takes 90 plus minutes of your weekend...it is well worth it...

6  Thank seen~it
Write a ReviewReviews (2,569)

Reviewed January 16, 2006

As far as Westin resorts go, Rancho Mirage is typical. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are your typical Westin room. It is not out of the ordinary. If you want to go to Palm Springs and experience anything having to do with the culture of Palm Springs (i.e. midcentury modern style, or hollywood glam) stay at the Parker or the Viceroy. If you just want to go to a westin resort, this is fine.

The spa was adequate...treatments were nothing special, and there are NO magazines in the spa lounge (very strange to me).

Be warned that the resort is humongous. Golf cart shuttles will take you anywhere on the grounds, but we found it faster to walk.

Do not even think of setting foot in the vacation ownership gallery. We took one step inside, and got stuck there for 3 hours getting a sales pitch for timeshares.

Breakfast on the patio is beautiful. Food is fine. Service is fine.

3  Thank TECN
Reviewed January 7, 2006

My husband and I wanted a quiet getaway over the New Year's Holiday. We are Starwood Gold Members, and as such have always appeciated the Westin hotels. We have also traveled extensively worldwide for the past thirty years, and I have to say that this is one of our worst experiences. We arrived to check in at 4 p.m., and our room was not ready till 5:15 p.m. We had requested a quiet room, and, after an hours wait, we were given a room overlooking the parking lot. The room was dingy. The carpet was frayed; a tile was missing in the bath; the easy chair had two large stains, etc. To their credit, they did move us to a nice room at 7 p.m. the following night. The problems did not stop there, though. On our second day we went out for sightseeing, returning at 5 p.m. to find that our room had not been made up. It took 5 calls to guest services to get someone to respond. Our room service tray was still in the hallway two days later. The last straw - I had a question about our bill. I was transferred to the front desk where I was put on hold for 5 minutes! Never again. There are far too many other great hotels in the area.

10  Thank RandBAdventurers
Reviewed January 4, 2006

We arrived on Christmas evening, the weather was perfect. The room was very nice. The Heavenly beds, sheets, pillows, and the dual showerhead was great. The $14 resort fee is high, considering the parking and the stairs on every building. But take full useage of the fee. Call the Express Services to pick you up from your building when you need to go to the restaurant, pool, golf course, or tennis courts. The gym area is indoor/outdoor. The main pool was a blast for our 3 teenagers (Open 24 Hours). Very relaxing for the parents. I do recommend the breakfast buffet in the mornings at the Bella Vista restaurant, best bacon ever! If you are Gold/Platinum with Starwood Preferred, breakfast is free for two. There is a little pressure about the timeshare seminars. No interest. We've stayed 3 times at this resort. Very positive and relaxing everytime.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank SlickAgent
Reviewed January 4, 2006

WE are frequent travelers and have always found the Westin hotels to be clean, comfortable and in top shape. This was not the case with this hotel. The grounds were unkept and the room was a mess: carpet frayed and dirty, furniture dinged and chipped. I should mention, also, that the room was $300 a night. I returned to the lobby and requested a refund, which was given without incident.

5  Thank kdkglen
Reviewed January 3, 2006

Just a note for people who are looking for a pet-friendly resort. The Westin Mission Hills permits pets in the "Resort" rooms, but it does NOT allow them in the vacation "Villas," even though they are on the same property and Villa guests are permitted to use all Resort services.

I suppose it's because the villas don't get daily housekeeping, but it's nonsensical because people stay in the villas longer than they stay in the Resort hotel rooms -- and have kitchens and washer-dryers!

Actually, it's probably because Westin hotels need to be dog-friendly in order to compete in the high end hotel market, but perhaps time-share properties haven't yet caught up with this trend.

Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank tobyjeanla
Reviewed December 18, 2005

I'm sitting in Room 1310 as I write this review. We arrived last Friday. We had a long drive and I was beat. I parked as close to our villa as I could but it was a walk. The room was nice and I was beat from carrying the luggage around over and up the stairs.
To catch my breath, I turned on the TV to try and find the O'Riley Show. Didn't carry FNC, OK, that's their choice.
Mission Hills is a Golf Resort. I don't play golf, we were there for a Birthday. This AM we received the bill for incidentals. There was a $14 per day Resort Service Fee. Called the office and was told the fee was for "the parking lot, coffee in the room.." I hung up and turned on my computer. Over $300 a night and a charge for totting your luggage and walking to a faraway parking lot...... BEWARE OF HIDDEN CHARGES.

Stayed: December 2005
Hilton Garden Inn Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!