“Relaxing Getaway”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Canada
“Relaxing Getaway”
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed here on a timeshare offer. Our room was in building 16, which has been fully remodelled. The first room we were in was 1602 and it backed on to the parking lot. The bathroom was massive! We had some issues with the room (couldn't call a 1-800 # from the phone, fridge issues, the air conditioning wasn't working properly), we spoke to the manager and he moved us immediately to a new room in the same building overlooking the golf course (1624). It was lovely. We overlooked the 17th and 18th holes.
The first morning we had breakfast at the Bella Vita restaurant (the only restaurant for the Resort), it was very good, and the service was impeccable.
We hung out one afternoon at Las Hadas pool and it was fantastic. The staff at the poolside were very nice, handing out water with fruit. They weren't serving food there that day but room service brought food to the poolside for us. The pool itself is nice because there are lots of entry-ways to it, not just one.
We had a drink in the lobby lounge, The Den. It's a very nice atmosphere in there.
The front desk staff were all very nice and helpful.
The only negative about this resort is the lack of eateries on premise. But The River is only a 5 minute drive away, which has loads of restaurants.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Stayed here mid-August for a week with my wife and sons (17 and 15) and daughter (4). Chose this location/hotel as we wanted to chill out before heading to Huntington Beach for a week. This was perfect for that.
The rooms were large and clean. There was a fridge so that we could store drinks.
The main swimming pool was generally quiet and we never had a problem sitting where we wanted although it was a bit busier at the weekend.
We only used the restaurant for breakfast which was very nice. At lunchtime we used the poolside snackbar which was fine (but not cheap).
The staff were, without exception, very friendly. It is nice that even, say, the gardener or chambermaid would look you in the eye and say 'Good day'.
The hotel is a few miles from the centre of town so you need a car AND A SAT-NAV! (but instead of renting one for $12 per day it may be better to buy one in the UK with US mapping).
We ate most frequently in the evenings at a small shopping area called The River.
Overall a lovely few days where we were all able to unwind - we fully intend to return.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Corona, CA
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Booked a room at The Westin Mission Hills along with several family remembers to attend a nearby wedding. I purposely booked with my American Express card to receive a free daily breakfast and a late check out time. When we checked into the hotel and I showed them the paperwork stating this offer, I was told they were not going to honor it. They tried to tell me it was only good for a room in Fiji! Also, when I booked I requested an upstairs room, got a downstairs room. The room smelled of stale smoke although they claim to have non smoking rooms only. The sliding glass door was stuck and did not open all the way, not good in the event of an emergency. The nearby pool looked dirty. Although it was very hot in Rancho Mirage, I chose not to go into the pool because of the way it looked. The parking is not great and we had to "hike" to our room a few times when we had to park far away from our room. Several staff in golf carts whizzed by us and not one offered to shuttle us. All and all, not a pleasant stay at this resort. I would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
sf
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Did I mention kids? This is entirely a family hotel. The hotel is pretty and has reminders of a luxury hotel, but ultimately misses the mark. For example, they pass out complimentary treats (jello, ice-cream, etc.) at the pool throughout the day, but by the time the resort employee steps foot in the pool area, he is bombarded with hoards of kids and cheesy people who are tripping over each other to get something for free. To the hotel's defense, we were here on a Labor Day weekend, so perhaps the dynamic was different than it would be on other non-holiday weekends. There are kids EVERYWHERE. The pool was extremely crowded and about 2/3 of the patrons were under the age of 10. Not only did we barely find chairs, this was not a pool to come to for relaxation. At least if screaming kids running back and forth to the water slide are not your idea of relaxation. We are 30 years old, professionals, and we do not have kids. We do not like kids...especially when we vacation or dine out at nice restaurants. Besides the kids, the crowd was pretty good. Most people were young couples under 35, who were vacationing with their little monsters. The hotel plans lots of activities for the kids to keep them busy, so that's nice. There was an adult pool, but it was tiny, unimpressive (no bar, just room service at the adult pool),. and did not have a single free chair when we tried going. ROOMS - very nice, large, spacious bathrooms, nice balcony with a pretty view of the resort. Ours had a minifridge, which was convenient for chilling our wine. Overall, we had a nice time once we got over the family aspect of the hotel. I would recommend the hotel for the hotel itself because it is nice, but with a major caveat about the family aspect of it. If you have kids or do not mind having lots of kids around, then come here. If you do not like kids, maybe call ahead and ask if they expect the weekend you are visiting to be busy.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank parrot27
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Booked through Hotwire for a one night in Palm Desert and this is where they put me, a great surprise. Large, beautiful resort that would be ideal for a romantic getaway. Rooms are modern, spacious with high ceilings, and comfortable. Mine had a balcony, as most appeared to. Three pools, which is great for me because I'm a swimmer. Main pool is beautiful and has an excellent water slide (its FAST!), but because if its circular design and the presence of children, is not usable for serious swimming. The two other adult pools, a short distance walk, are of traditional design but relatively small, and a little challenging for lap swimming. The lounge chairs and umbrellas, however, are very nice and perfect for just relaxing. You're about 5 miles to downtown Palm Springs, but its an easy & pleasant drive. A late night moonlit walk on the golf course trails was pure magic, almost otherworldly, and highly recommended. Because it was a short overnight trip, I didn't get to check out the restaurant or other facilities beyond the the pools. Nonetheless, based on the rooms and the overall quality of the resort, I would recommend it. I'll be going back for a romantic getaway, or to take my kids. Great value and a very nice experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Booked on special weekend promo rate for a bit over 100 all in. Got very lucky that the weekend that I was there it was very warm (not hot, around 90s). Here's the mini review.

Check in
Friendly clerk Monica helped checked in since there were lines at SPG desk. She confirmed my room but told me it was not ready at 3pm. No problem, headed to the Spa/Fitness Center to check out the resort. There are some refreshing icy water with lemon/berries in there. Nice touch Westin! There are Time Shares representative located in the lobby, did not bother to check them out since I can't handle the sales pitch.

Room/Suite
I received a one bedroom suite in building #2 on the first floor. I like the room as its very quiet (located on the corner location). I love how the dining area setup. Very nice chandelier and wall decor!!! There's a nice pull out sofa if you have more guests that needs to sleep. So, in the living room, you get a mini wet bar, dining table fits 6, pull out sofa and a big TV. It is connected to the bathroom & bedroom. Bedroom is the standard Westin Heavenly Bed, another TV located inside the bedroom and furnitures are in the good condition. Bathroom have separated bath & shower. Dual Sink and a separate room for the toilet for extra privacy. The big round tub can actually fit 2 people. Very nice touch. The bathroom is very nicely done as well. You don't see cutting corner in this bathroom. However, I can relate how others mention about the AC. It can get a bit warm if you are here during the HOT summer day. I hope they can have a stronger AC system but it was not an issue during my stay.

Pool
2 Adult Pools located in the property (more quiet) and a main pool with lots sundeck, private cabanas and a water slide where you'll hear lots kids screaming. So I think its more for the "family" orientated area. I prefer adult pool where people are just relaxing and socializing.

Spa/Fitness Center
Located on the end of the resorts. There are tennis courts for guests to use. Like others mention, Weights are located OUTDOOR. I don't understand their logic but I guess that's how they want it to be. Spa facilities are free for the guests to use. In the Men's area, it includes 2 couches, locker, showers, steam room and whirlpool are located outside, so you need to wear swim suit (CoED). Again, very relaxing for guests to unwind for a bit. They even stocked with chilled water, chilled towels and chilled cucumber for guests to use. I had my first ever cucumber facial inside the spa!

Staff/Valet
The valet and staff were excellent. Most staffs were very friendly and seems like to enjoy their job.

Location
Not too far to the freeway and very close to the walmart and other supermarket/drug store so you can get what you needed without paying the resort price.

Overall
I enjoyed my stay here and wish they have more pools like La Quinta Resorts but the area is very beautiful and quiet. I highly recommended this place to others.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Doraemon79
Glendale
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I liked everything about this place... the food was a bit expensive when you ordered from the pool area or even room service and it wasn’t that great. The rooms were really clean - the 2nd day our bathroom had a plumbing problem at which time they informed us that they will fix it as soon as the plumber comes to take a look at it. We requested to change our room and they came and moved us within few minutes. We stayed in the one bedroom unit and the size was perfect - the bathroom had an oversized tub and a stand up shower area. Very much liked the resort but didn't like the overall guests - most were nice people but saw some not so nice ones but hey, the bad ones are everywhere...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!