“Kids, kids, kids”

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Did I mention kids? This is entirely a family hotel. The hotel is pretty and has reminders of a luxury hotel, but ultimately misses the mark. For example, they pass out complimentary treats (jello, ice-cream, etc.) at the pool throughout the day, but by the time the resort employee steps foot in the pool area, he is bombarded with hoards of kids and cheesy people who are tripping over each other to get something for free. To the hotel's defense, we were here on a Labor Day weekend, so perhaps the dynamic was different than it would be on other non-holiday weekends. There are kids EVERYWHERE. The pool was extremely crowded and about 2/3 of the patrons were under the age of 10. Not only did we barely find chairs, this was not a pool to come to for relaxation. At least if screaming kids running back and forth to the water slide are not your idea of relaxation. We are 30 years old, professionals, and we do not have kids. We do not like kids...especially when we vacation or dine out at nice restaurants. Besides the kids, the crowd was pretty good. Most people were young couples under 35, who were vacationing with their little monsters. The hotel plans lots of activities for the kids to keep them busy, so that's nice. There was an adult pool, but it was tiny, unimpressive (no bar, just room service at the adult pool),. and did not have a single free chair when we tried going. ROOMS - very nice, large, spacious bathrooms, nice balcony with a pretty view of the resort. Ours had a minifridge, which was convenient for chilling our wine. Overall, we had a nice time once we got over the family aspect of the hotel. I would recommend the hotel for the hotel itself because it is nice, but with a major caveat about the family aspect of it. If you have kids or do not mind having lots of kids around, then come here. If you do not like kids, maybe call ahead and ask if they expect the weekend you are visiting to be busy.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank parrot27

Reviewed September 6, 2009

Booked through Hotwire for a one night in Palm Desert and this is where they put me, a great surprise. Large, beautiful resort that would be ideal for a romantic getaway. Rooms are modern, spacious with high ceilings, and comfortable. Mine had a balcony, as most appeared to. Three pools, which is great for me because I'm a swimmer. Main pool is beautiful and has an excellent water slide (its FAST!), but because if its circular design and the presence of children, is not usable for serious swimming. The two other adult pools, a short distance walk, are of traditional design but relatively small, and a little challenging for lap swimming. The lounge chairs and umbrellas, however, are very nice and perfect for just relaxing. You're about 5 miles to downtown Palm Springs, but its an easy & pleasant drive. A late night moonlit walk on the golf course trails was pure magic, almost otherworldly, and highly recommended. Because it was a short overnight trip, I didn't get to check out the restaurant or other facilities beyond the the pools. Nonetheless, based on the rooms and the overall quality of the resort, I would recommend it. I'll be going back for a romantic getaway, or to take my kids. Great value and a very nice experience.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Booked on special weekend promo rate for a bit over 100 all in. Got very lucky that the weekend that I was there it was very warm (not hot, around 90s). Here's the mini review.

Check in
Friendly clerk Monica helped checked in since there were lines at SPG desk. She confirmed my room but told me it was not ready at 3pm. No problem, headed to the Spa/Fitness Center to check out the resort. There are some refreshing icy water with lemon/berries in there. Nice touch Westin! There are Time Shares representative located in the lobby, did not bother to check them out since I can't handle the sales pitch.

Room/Suite
I received a one bedroom suite in building #2 on the first floor. I like the room as its very quiet (located on the corner location). I love how the dining area setup. Very nice chandelier and wall decor!!! There's a nice pull out sofa if you have more guests that needs to sleep. So, in the living room, you get a mini wet bar, dining table fits 6, pull out sofa and a big TV. It is connected to the bathroom & bedroom. Bedroom is the standard Westin Heavenly Bed, another TV located inside the bedroom and furnitures are in the good condition. Bathroom have separated bath & shower. Dual Sink and a separate room for the toilet for extra privacy. The big round tub can actually fit 2 people. Very nice touch. The bathroom is very nicely done as well. You don't see cutting corner in this bathroom. However, I can relate how others mention about the AC. It can get a bit warm if you are here during the HOT summer day. I hope they can have a stronger AC system but it was not an issue during my stay.

Pool
2 Adult Pools located in the property (more quiet) and a main pool with lots sundeck, private cabanas and a water slide where you'll hear lots kids screaming. So I think its more for the "family" orientated area. I prefer adult pool where people are just relaxing and socializing.

Spa/Fitness Center
Located on the end of the resorts. There are tennis courts for guests to use. Like others mention, Weights are located OUTDOOR. I don't understand their logic but I guess that's how they want it to be. Spa facilities are free for the guests to use. In the Men's area, it includes 2 couches, locker, showers, steam room and whirlpool are located outside, so you need to wear swim suit (CoED). Again, very relaxing for guests to unwind for a bit. They even stocked with chilled water, chilled towels and chilled cucumber for guests to use. I had my first ever cucumber facial inside the spa!

Staff/Valet
The valet and staff were excellent. Most staffs were very friendly and seems like to enjoy their job.

Location
Not too far to the freeway and very close to the walmart and other supermarket/drug store so you can get what you needed without paying the resort price.

Overall
I enjoyed my stay here and wish they have more pools like La Quinta Resorts but the area is very beautiful and quiet. I highly recommended this place to others.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Doraemon79
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I liked everything about this place... the food was a bit expensive when you ordered from the pool area or even room service and it wasn’t that great. The rooms were really clean - the 2nd day our bathroom had a plumbing problem at which time they informed us that they will fix it as soon as the plumber comes to take a look at it. We requested to change our room and they came and moved us within few minutes. We stayed in the one bedroom unit and the size was perfect - the bathroom had an oversized tub and a stand up shower area. Very much liked the resort but didn't like the overall guests - most were nice people but saw some not so nice ones but hey, the bad ones are everywhere...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I too saw all of the negative reviews on this site, but they are from travelers that stayed over Memorial Day weekend.
I planned this trip for my family, which is my wife and infant son and my friend's family, which is comprised of the same. We had a great time. The wives had a spa appointment on the first day, they returned from the spa (chauffered by the valet staff) very relaxed and completely satisfied with their treatments. My friend and I had an early tee time the next morning, the Pete Dye course was closed for green maintenence so we played the Gary Player Course. The course is spread out amongst timeshare and summer homes, beautiful course, we noticed you don't see the other holes while playing on yours for most of the course. Very challenging, I'm a good golfer and I gave half a dozen balls to the dive team.
My son was taken to the pool by my wife, it was clean and very nice to be around. There is a pool for adults only if you don't want kids like mine to be adorable around you.
Overall the Westin Mission Hills is a great resort, if you are planning to visit during peak vacation times please expect some things to be less than perfect. Remember that human beings run this hotel and everyone has challenges at times.
This traveler's tip; email the resort and see what they are able to do for you to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, we were given suite (and sweeeet) upgrades just for asking. Also, the $25 resort fee pays most of the tips you would normally give so take advantage of the valet and bellhop services. We figured out we would have tipped about $40 to different employees during our stay, so we saved money.
Book it. You'll be happy you did.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I will give a Pro and Con review on this hotel, Pros: nice large room, received a nice rate on Hotwire, was upgraded to a poolside room which was a great thing for the kids, I made a mistake on my dates when booking through hotwire and they fixed it for me with no problems, I was very greatful of this because they could have sent me packing. very quiet room and a large Bathroom. cons: why is it at so called luxury hotels do they feel that they can rake you over on the prices of items, it is nice that they have a poolside bar and snack area, but 15 bucks for a very average burger? 7 dollar smoothies and 10 dollar beers? 6 dollars for a PB & J sandwhich? you get the picture They also charge a 25 dollar resort fee, which is slightly annoying.

One other note: we had a poolside room which was great we could walk right out of the room to the pool area and back, we just left our patio door unlocked and did our thing, we werent worried about keeping it locked because we were 50 feet from the door and did not usually bring my room key with. One day when housekeeping came through she locked the door after she was finished and then would not let me into my room even though I had come in and out of the room three times for stuff while she was in the room cleaning, She could not speak a word of english and i had to eventually call security and have them come and open the room after a 15 minute wait.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank stratboy77
MMacleod1, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2009

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property, it is the feedback of all guests that helps us continue to improve our product.

Our resort takes the security and welfare of our guests and their property very seriously. Our associates are trained to insist that guests provide photo ID in order to gain access to any guest room should they have misplaced their room keys. While we recognize this may cause some inconvenience, we must put the safety and security of all guests and associates at the highest level of priority.

Reviewed August 7, 2009

Usually Westin surpasses your expectations , but not here. We requested a room away from the action near the adult or the quiet pools but ended up in disco central , loud music screaming kids and a good walk to the pools we were using. The rooms were large but basic and the tub in the room in our suite was a bit tacky and 70's. The quality of the food was good but the menus were limited and service was either really fantastic or poor.
We stayed in the villas rather than the main hotel and trades services for space, no in room movies or mini bar , however room service and laundry service were good.
Watch out for the parking it filled up as the weekend approached with families with multiple mini vans.
I wouldn't stay here again but I can see it has it charms for large families and younger groups travelling together.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Hilton Garden Inn Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!