“Just wasn't very happy with the room” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Just wasn't very happy with the room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I don't know - maybe Westin is having issues. I am a member of their preferred program (Starwood) and their properties seem very inconsistent. I had problems in Chicago a year ago and this property wasn't much better. I was there for a conference and the room was terrible. The room was beyond noisy! You hear absolutely everything. Also - the cellular service was beyond terrible. For a hotel hosting a convention - lousy cell service is not good. The irony of the cell service - there was a huge AT&T cell tower truck in the parking lot next to my room. It must only work with AT&T phones as mine is Verizon???

BTW - don't bother complaining to Westin. You end up dealing with the company folks in Europe and I really don't think they care.

Room Tip: Ah - probably at a different place in Palm Springs! Well if you want to get a good nights sleep.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Keith L,

Thank you and we appreciate your review. We apologize for the inconvenience you faced during your stay with us and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make your next stay exceptional. We will look into the areas you mentioned and contact the various departments as this allows us to offer the best possible service for our guests. We hope you do have the opportunity to come back again soon, so that we can create an experience that will surpass your last.

Be Well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Korean first
yukon, ok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed with my fiance while he was attending a conference. The best thing I can say is the grounds and scenery are beautiful and the staff was excellent. Upon arrival our room wasn't ready, which was fine as we arrived early. We confirmed a king bed, 1st floor (they have no elevators) with a pool view. After waiting for over an hour, drove to our room and it had 2 queen beds. We then had to drive back to the main lobby and request a king bed. Had to wait another 1 1/2 hrs to get the king bed, which did have a pool view, but on the 2nd floor. The AC in the room didn't work properly and seemed to shut off every 10 mins, whether the temp went down or not. Other than that, the bed was comfy and the room was nice. We did eat at the full-service restaurant for dinner; drinks were great, but I didn't care for the food.

Room Tip: They don't have elevators. So, if you can't do stairs or haul your luggage up them, better g...
Dear TwilighOverBoard,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We thank you for your compliments and appreciate all of your feedback in regards to your most recent stay with us. It is with great delight to hear that our staff was very accommodating to your needs. We strive to provide all of our guests with a relaxing experience and the personalized service that they deserve. We look forward to seeing you again and creating the same experience on your next stay with us.

Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Have stayed here the 5th time over the last 3 years. As always - flawless grounds with wonderful wide open views across the golf courses to the snow-capped mountain ranges. Freeform main pool with water slide, palm trees, poolside service and warm waters make for a real resort feeling. Good golf and very good fitness area. Updated and vast game room for kids. Internet is included in your resort fee of 27 USD per day.

One word about taxes and fees: Palm Springs and the other communities are very creative in adding fees and charges to the room price. That means the you can easily add abourt 30 % to your room rate (including resort fees) to get the final tender. A real downsider.

Rooms are all located in 2 floor villas. Walk to main pool can be up to 10 minutes - if you are on a remote position. However, no probelm due to the nice and walkable setting. Rooms was a desasters this time. Problem with the toilet, the shower, aircon did not heat, bed broke down. All was resolved in a more or less timely manner, but you can imagine that each time, you have to make a call and you have to wait for someone to arrive - you will loose vacation time. And by the way never an excuse or a litle compensation for the hassle. Be careful with your room choice and avoid the traditional view - unless you only need a place to sleep. Why? Traditional view often means parking lot or facing see-thru industrial made stone walls. Whoever came up with the name traditional view, is definitly a big illusionist. We knew this and booked a pool view.

There are other pools scattered around the resort, however without proactive service, yet quieter.

Check in is always a hit or miss at this hotel. Unfortunatly mainly a miss. We do not bother to much, because you see them only once. However, I do not understand why front desk staff so many times misses out on promoting their property. No information abourt the restaurants, the fitness facility, the pool operating hours or what is included in the resort fee. They circle the location of the room and mark the way to your room - thats it. Furthermore the clerk failed to mention the AAA members get a 20 % on the restaurant tap.

Would go for 3,5 stars.

Room Tip: Avoid the traditional views - even if you are a gold or platinum member - if they are at capacity yo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear juergen I,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We thank you for all the compliments and appreciate all your feedback. We will look into the areas you mentioned and contact the various departments as this allows us to offer the best possible service for our guests. We hope you do have the opportunity to come back again soon and visit our adult pool. We have 3 pools in total on property and one is in fact for our adult guests only.

Elgin, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the resort as a part of a conference. This is a two story property with open air hallways. The rooms were decent and the bathroom was one of the largest I've ever seen in a hotel room. Our room view was upgraded from overlooking the parking lot to overlooking the pool. Given how the various resort buildings are layed out, I would think most of the rooms do not have a scenic view. One of the only issues I had was that I could not get cell phone reception on T-Mobile the entire time I was there. My husband had Verizon and didn't have an issue. We golfed the course at the hotel and it was a little disappointing...not as green and lush as many of the other courses in the area. The surrounding area is 50/50 developed and sand. It's not as pretty as the Indian Wells area, which is my favorite town in that area.

Dear Jan H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Your comments are important and we are very disappointed to hear of the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide our guest with a renewing experience and personalized service that they deserve. It is our top priority to ensure that all of our guests have a revitalizing & refreshing stay. We encourage your return, so that we can provide you with a stay, better than your last.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I am an Platinum guest with over 75 stays last year. I have earned Gold status for life. Westin has been my favorite brand, but boy did this property disappoint. From the check-in where I was informed that I had the lowest class of room complete with view of the parking lot. To the fact that the bathroom floor was clearly dirty with stickiness all over. Wake up call was 20 minutes late. Staff was unaccomodating an uninterested. Service was slow in restaurant. Room was old and in need of a renovation. Calls needed to be remade to housekeeping.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Danielvt
Dear DaniIvt,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Your comments are very important and we are very disappointed to hear of the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide guests with a relaxing experience and the personalized service. We do apologize that we were unable to honor your upgrade as a loyal guest. We are looking forward to creating an exhilarating experience your next stay with us.

Be well.
Mid-Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

First of all, I was staying here as a result of a conference, so this was not a pleasure trip and I didn't have any reason to stay elsewhere. That said, I was a little concerned about my stay given some of the less than glowing reviews on this site. All turned out well though.

I arrived five hours before check in and Karen did her best to get me into a room asap. She succeeded in less than an hour and the room was wonderful.

The site is similar to the set up of the Westin La Paloma in Tucson. There are a dozen or so buildings, each two stories tall. I had a great view of a pond.

All in all, it is a Westin and a good one at that. No worries.

Room Tip: If possible, try to stay on the second floor unless you have mobility issues.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear bigtwoheartedriver,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the time you took to offer your comments. We will definitely forward your review to Karen. We look forward to welcoming you again soon, hopefully on a leisure trip!

Be well.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I decided to venture off on another one of our spur of the moment trips to Palm Springs. On the way there, my wife called almost every hotel in Palm Springs to no avail. Every single place we called was sold out. Well we didnt try the Vagabond Inn due to their nasty conditions, but we did call every other place we could think of. While beginning to feel discouraged about leaving for the weekend, my wife stumbled onto the Weston's website and immediately called them and booked a room. They were the only ones with vacancy, so we were taking a chance since we had never been to the Weston before. Upon arrival, we were a bit confused because it was actually a good 6 or 7 miles away from the bustling downtown area. At first I was very skeptical and did not want to stay there, but my wife was determined to stay in Palm Springs for the weekend. It is nestled outside of downtown Palm Springs in Mission Hills. At night is very peaceful, dark and quiet. Every star in the sky is visible and the night time quiet is amazing. The place is absolutely HUGE. From the front desk to villa 16 where we were staying was a good 15 minute walk at least, but the place is so beautiful you dont mind the walk. In fact, you want to go walk, jog, ride your bike, play tennis, play golf...you want to engage in all sorts of things related to fitness once you get there. Let me mention that one of the top 50 golf courses in North America is on this property so if you like golf and take it seriously, you will want to check this place out. I have never wanted to golf, but this place was so beautiful, I asked my wife for a set of clubs for our anniversary. Anyway, there are quite a few large and beautiful pool areas, there are pools for kids and even pools strictly for adults 18 and over. During the first evening, we called a taxi and went to downtown Palm Springs and had dinner. Very nice. But it was the second night, that we decided to stay close to the villas. We got in our car and took a nice 5 minute cruise over to the local casino and enjoyed a steak dinner at their steakhouse. Very nice casino by the way, probably my favorite of all the California casinos...not a Vegas casino, but still very nice for California. As mentioned earlier, we were only going to stay one night, but the place was so nice and relaxing, we opted for another 2 nites. The rooms are exquisitely clean. The bathrooms are large and luxurious, and rest of the room was beautiful as well. MOST IMPORTANTLY, IT WAS CLEAN!!! Nicely stocked little alcohol bar, also contained snacks. The rooms refrigerator was nice and clean and came in handy for all of our room snacks. The little patio area was very relaxing and private. We enjoyed a nice bottle of wine along with cheese and prosciutto, very private and yes, relaxing. During the day, its nice to put on your walking or running shoes, and some comfortable workout clothing and just explore the HUGE property, we also relaxed by one of the large pools. There are pool attendees that provide all the food and beverage one can need. There are a few game rooms, and snack & supply shops for all of your needs. You really do not need to leave the property. They have a convenient but small business area for those needing to conduct computer business. They are equipped with large Apple Mac computers. This is where I had to type and print some last minute reports in the morning. Everything there is a little on the expensive side, but its all in the name of luxury, convenience, and yes you guessed it...RELAXATION!!! All in all, we were only meaning to stay there one night then head back to LA. However, we were so comfortable and peaceful with out ourselves, we decided to forsake the chaos of LA for 2 more nights here at the Weston. My only advice is this: In the three days we stayed, we did not even touch the tip of the ice burg in regards to all they have to offer there. I recommend asking the people in the front office to give you a list of all the wonderful amenities they have to offer. Its a place where those who do not want to relax end up relaxing and loving it. Cheers!

Room Tip: Ask for a list of the amenities they have to offer, they are extensive. Rooms are available with re...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Spaulo,

Thank you for sharing your review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed a refreshing stay at our resort. We are delighted to know that you were able to indulge in various activities that we offer to our guest. It is truly a pleasure to know that you were able to experience the unparalleled customer service that we strive to provide all guests. We look forward to seeing you again, as we are always welcoming at the resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!