“Overall stay review”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Stockton, California
“Overall stay review”

Greetings,

I first would like to say your overall property was a beautiful and pleasant experience. My only concern was the timing of housekeeping. My room was cleaned every day after 5:00pm. When I called the front desk to express my concern they said "we have over 500 rooms to clean" Due to being in an event all morning and afternoon coming back after 5:00 and wanting to rest was impossible with housekeeping there. I’m sorry to say I decide not to have housekeeping during my stay so I could us that time to rest.

2 Thank linda d
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Linda D,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the time you took to post your comments and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We will forward your comments to our housekeeping team as this allows us to improve our services.

We hope to see you again very soon. Be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Korean first
charlotte
Reviewed October 15, 2012

It's really hard to rate a property like this. The location is a 9.9, but the property is quite old and tired. The rooms are spread out (you really need to drive to your building). Then your room door is outside (like the old trucker motels). Not ideal if you're a single woman or security is an issue. The rooms are big and fairly up to date, but certainly nothing to write home about. The walls are thin because you can hear people next to you in regular tone voice. The food I found to be very good but only experienced breakfast. The customer service was above average and no complaints. If you golf, then the downsides of the older property wouldn't really matter because the course is stunning. The pool by my building was like an old beach pool from the 1970's. I would go on the individual photos and not the "professional" one's to make your call. Not trying to bash the property because it is a decent hotel. But if you're coming for luxury, then continue your search. It's a basic Westin in a fantastic location.

1 Thank brianparsley
Dear Brianparsley,

Thank you for your recent review. We understand that our property is a little something different for all our guests. We do sit on 360 acres of beautiful land and yes you can drive to your guest room and or have a bellman assist you, but we are far from a Motel. We have 3 beautiful sparkling pools one of which has recently been refreshed with a new slide. We've renovated our Pete Dye Course, and have a new restaurant Pinzimini opening very soon. We strive to offer the best for our guests and we continue to improve and refresh our property.

We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again so you can enjoy all the wonderful amenities we have to offer.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I had the great privlege of staying at this fine establishment with some friends and I have nothing but astonshing things to say about my delightful experience! It truely felt like i was in a far away paradise island and it was all about us! We where so well taken care of we felt like we getting the star v.i.p treatment.

We had a vary spacious suite, clean overall, and i loved the decore! The beds and showers are heavenly! I felt very confortable and even took a nap in our very private patio area!

Everything from the location to the service and amenities was most defineatley above average!

I had an extremely enjoyable breakkfast experience! The dining area seemed to be brand new! I loved all the design & detail put into this place. We where served by very attentive & hospitable waiters. They where also very familiar with the palm springs area & gave us some great suggestions as far as the "must see spots" and fun places to go! My food was so sumptuous to say the least

The pool... oh i can not say enough great things about the pool! My friends and i had a cabana and the service given to us by the crew ( in particular Alex & Ryan) was impeccable! The pool side drinks where great, especially the khula coladas! yummy! We enjoyed a great game of pool volleyball and last but not least Ioved the fact that they had activities for children in a specific pool area.There was plenty of staff on deck to assure their guests where safe & well taken care of. I noticed parents being able to relax by the pool while their children had loads of fun! That most definatley is plus! Fun for all ages!

Finally i must speak of my fine dining experience... wow talk about a life lasting impression. I got to dine in the company of great friends, under the stars, candel lit table, lighted tress, once a again impeccable service, exquiste succulent delectable rich tastey delish food, and even the chef himself, Chef Aoiki, came out to greet us! I am a sweet tooth kind of gal and the dessert most definately did not dissapoint me! Last but not least the steak is to die for. . .i was flabbergasted and impressed!

All in all a great stay and I would definitely return. I would reccomend this hotel to everyone! I can not wait to come back to be blissyful pampered once again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear MoKimF,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all your lovely compliments and will share them with our team!

We hope you will have the opportunity to join us again very soon. We have the new Pinzimini restaurant opening soon! Just another lovely addition to the Westin.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the resort for just 2 nights as part of a two week vacation to the US and I wish I'd had a bit longer to enjoy it as its such a relaxing location.

The hotel was booked as part of a package with Virgin Holidays so I don't know the individual price for my stay here but I was completely happy with it.

I arrived after a drive from LA and was greeted by a member of valet staff and directed to the front desk. Front desk staff were also extremely friendly and allowed us to check in early at no extra charge. We were also given a choice of ground or first floor room, explaining that there are no elevators. We were also given vouchers for a complimentary breakfast each morning which I'm assuming was part of our package. Front desk staff signed me up for Starwood programme (took 2 mins) and gave me a $5 food and bev voucher. Directions were given to our building and a small map provided, when I went out to the car again, valet guy also gave directions.

We were in building 11. Room was large with 2 beds, tv, bathroom/dressing area and small balcony with table and chairs. Also had a well stocked minibar and coffee machine but I didn't use either of these. The room was spotlessly clean and plenty of towels and toiletries provided. Ironing board and hairdryer also in room. As we were only there a couple of nights, we opted not to have housekeeping come in, but you can call and ask for more towels if needed.

There is a pool right next to building 11 which was nice and peaceful. Towels are provided so you don't have to take them from your room. The snack bar wasn't open but maybe is at busier times? There was a larger, busier pool a couple of minutes walk away which had a bar/snack bar open. The pool next to building 11 did have a cold water dispenser which was a nice touch as it was 40 degrees Celsius!

The day we arrived I received a call from concierge asking me to come to their desk and I was given 4 vouchers to use while at the resort. Vouchers were for food, tennis, golf and spa discounts and again I thought this was a nice touch. If I had been staying longer I would probably have used them all.

One restaurant was closed for refurbishment but I ate in the bar/restaurant area both nights and the food was enjoyable. Our server on the first night was exceptional, so friendly and helpful, making recommendations and chatting to us about our trip. He even came and chatted to us the next evening when he saw us in the bar. I only wish I could remember his name as he is a great asset to the Westin Mission Hills. Our server in the bar the second night was not good at all but the first guy more than made up for this. There is also another restaurant a 5-10 min walk from the lobby, but shuttles are provided to get you around.

I thoroughly recommend going for a walk around the resort early morning, its so peaceful and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. Many members of staff stopped in the shuttles to ask if I needed a ride, so you will never be stuck for one if you need it.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to use the spa but this is a short walk from building 11.

Palm Springs is about a 15 minute drive from the resort ($30 in a taxi) and the valet guys were happy to call me a taxi and chatted to me while I was waiting, suggesting places to go. I believe there is also an undercover mall close to the resort.

I would say the resort is suitable for solo travellers, couples, groups of friends and families and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Elljay01
Dear Elljay01,

Thank your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!
Pauma Valley, California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is an attractive and large hotel complex arranged horizontally across a large property. Not recommended for the elderly or anyone with trouble walking. The room was very clean and comfortable, but we were dismayed to find the elegant on-site restaurant (Bella Vista) closed for renovation. At no time, either upon making the reservation, or upon check-in, or even when calling the restaurant (got voice mail that failed to mention it was closed) were we informed of this fact. Looking forward to a nice meal in a nice place, we were not too happy to find the door locked. A look through a window clearly showed ongoing renovations. The hotel bar and a small cafe co-located with the business center served basic but pricey meals. The hotel in general is pricey, and clearly intended for guests with money to burn. Arrival at the room found Wi-Fi available but it connected to a website that indicated that it was not complimentary. A call to the front desk revealed a normal charge to connect to their network, but the cost was covered because we were attending a conference (their normal room rate was discounted due to the conference as well, otherwise we would not have considered staying there). Perhaps they made up the difference when the no host bar at the conference welcome gathering charged $12 for a mixed drink. At check-in we were enrolled without our permission in the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. Walking to the room, our smartphone chimed to indicate an incoming e-mail -- it told us that we had been enrolled, much to our surprise. Cancelling it from their website was difficult. Additionally, we had a disturbing encounter with a housekeeper. Upon arrival at our room, we dropped off the items we were carrying (including my wife's purse, and my briefcase full of expensive electronics) and departed immediately to go bring in our main luggage. We may have been gone 3 or 4 minutes. Upon approach to our door, it opened and a woman stepped out of the room! All hotels have a policy of keeping a door open when servicing a room, and our room had obviously been cleaned already, so we asked her to wait until we checked our valuables. Nothing was missing, and she said that she was there to service the mini-bar, but we have never, in 40 years of travel, found someone in our room with the door closed 4 minutes after we left what we thought was a secure room. Maybe an odd coincidence, maybe we surprised her with our quick return. Lastly, we were at this hotel to attend a conference comprising of a series of lectures. The hotel had also booked a couple of Christian groups who seemed to love singing loudly in adjacent conference rooms. This was made hearing our conference speakers quite difficult. Check to see what groups may be commandeering the hotel before booking! Wait for Bella Vista to re-open too, and bring a full wallet...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan J
Dear Alan J,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate the time you took to offer your comments and concerns.

Our property is large as it sits on 360 acres however we do have shuttles throughout the property for your assistance. We have many dining options and the closure to our restaurant is listed on our website at westinmissionhills.com. Options include in-room dining, Seasons Grill, Las Brisas Cafe, and the Mission Hills Market & Cafe. We do have renovations going on as our golf course was being refreshed. This process is done every year to ensure the course is at its finest along with our new restaurant Pinzimini which will open this fall. All the improvements which are located on our website are to enhance our guest experience.

We thank you for the time you took to offer your feedback as this allows us to improve our services. We hope you will have the opportunity to join us again.

Rumbai
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is a hard hotel to do business in as cell phones don't work well. The front desk explained that is because the city of Rancho Mirage won't allow a cell tower to be built to improve service. The resort is large and sprawling and not designed conveniently to quickly move around. Meals here were poor value ($60 for lunch for two) and portions were not generous. Our room was comfortable but the door breaks don't work well and you are constantly annoyed by other guests opening and slamming doors. Printing a boarding pass was a problem as their "free" computer used a restricted program that doesn't include all airlines. Employees and contractors working at the resort parked close to rooms in areas that should be reserved for guests. Among the positives, the staff were well trained and provided good service. I would not stay here again, however.

2 Thank Nenas121
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Nenas121,

Thank you for your review. We continue to make improvements at the Resort to benefit our guests. We've recently added our new Mission Hills Market & Cafe, along with the Oasis Den which is our social hub with TV's at every corner computer stations and seating for relaxation. We are also refreshing our restaurant space for the new Pinzimini restaurant we are set to open this fall.

We appreciate your comments and thank you for your feedback and as you can see we are going above and beyond to service our guests and improve our facilities. We you hope you have the opportunity to join us again so you can experience our refreshed resort.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The resort exceeded my expectations! Friends and I stayed in a suite that was incredibly comfortable and spacious. We loved the pool and were very well taken care of by the staff. Ryan, our pool attendant, was very friendly and attentive. To get the most out of your pool experience I suggest reserving a Cabana. The best part of my stay was a delicious dinner prepared by chef Shawn Aoki. My first visit made a great impression, and I look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Natalia G,

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us! We will be sure to mention your comments to Ryan.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future! Be well.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!