“Loved this resort, Westin has never failed me!”

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed at the resort for a romantic wedding anniversary weekend away from the kids. We always stay at Westins whenever we can, this resort did not fail to hold up to our high expectations of the Westin. We were upgraded to a golf-view deluxe room, which was beautiful, clean, and huge. The A/C worked wonderfully, which is important to get a break from the desert heat in August!

The resort was hosting 2 conference groups but we never heard noise or saw large groups of people. There was a large family-friendly pool with a water slide but there are also 2 more pools (one of which is for adults only). We hung out at the adult pool and it was very quiet. This resort claims to be family-friendly so I was worried we'd ruin our kids-free weekend with kids screaming everywhere, this was so not the case. We were not at all bothered. The whole trip was quiet and restful.

We will be back, with and without kids!

Room Tip: Sign up for the Starwood membership. It's free and we get great service at any Starwood hotel an...
1  Thank zoy209
Write a ReviewReviews (2,593)

Reviewed August 16, 2011

Like the other reviewers we found that the poor signage made it difficult to find parking, our room, the restaurant and the pool. And, we also found flies in the restaurant and lots of insects around the building. The staff were helpful with managing the flies. For example, the hostess would guide us to a table away from most of the flies. We could tell they were trying to manage the problem -- e.g. they had "bug zapper" lights. Since it is in the desert the insects seem to be drawn to the luscious green landscaping at the resort. It was over 100 degrees everyday we were there--I don't blame the bugs for seeking refuge in the resort!

That said we did find our 4-day stay with a teenager and our younger adult siblings relaxing and affordable. After all this is a resort in the desert NOT a hotel in downtown Chicago, the rooms are large, grounds are sprawling so it is a long-ish walk to the restaurant, pool and workout room. The wireless internet access is part of the resort fee and worked well for all of our computers (Macs and IBM compatible). We did NOT have very good cell phone service -- especially Verizon. ATT was a little better. Difficult to use our smartphones so had to keep borrowing the teenager's ipod which could get to the internet due to great wireless service or go back to the room for our computers.

Westin does a great job of creating an overall relaxing setting. The view lines to the beautiful mountains, the numerous ponds and landscaping set a relaxing tone. We found the other guests to be quiet. Lots of families with one or two kids but none of them were of the running around and screaming variety. Quite lovely! We also saw some 20-somethings check in with large coolers. They were also of the quiet variety. Did NOT hear late night music or talking.

This is a 4-star not a 5-star resort. The staff were always pleasant and helpful but not as abundant as would be expected in a more costly resort. The Westin Heavenly beds were heavenly as usual. The fold out sofa was more convenient for our kid than a rollaway bed would have been. The dim lighting in the room seemed odd at first, but after we saw the bright desert sunlight really appreciated that the indoor lights were dim.
Great to have inroom refrigerator (in addition to the minibar refrigerator) to keep cold drinks and some fruit onhand. Nice to go out and watch the early morning golfers from the well shaded balcony.

For the price we found this resort to be a gem.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms are upstairs and have high sloping ceilings. Nice!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CandaceBritt
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Thank you very much for your recent review. We are grateful for the feedback and comments. The resort is designed as a relaxing sanctuary with open spaces, beautiful views and a quiet setting and we are very proud of creating that experience for you
We are aware of some limitations with signage and we are working hard on improving that element of our property. The resort is also exploring solutions for the cell phone service limitations which vary by carrier. While not totally under the control of the resort we expect some improvment there soon.Thank you for your patience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Be well,

The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We spent 5 days here with 4 other couples on a spa/golf getaway. Our rooms were fantastic and the staff was just so accomodating. Each person with whom we came into contact went the extra mile for us. Oh and the golf and the spa were AWESOME!!!

I have a few complaints though. Considering how much we paid in resort fees I would expect them to up the ante a bit on the pool service and restaurants.

If you are foodies, don't plan a lot of meals here. I am not sure if it's the summer menu, but almost everything we tried was sub-par. Even the creme brulee was horrible and that is pretty hard to screw up. If you must - then the salads were the only things that were decent although don't expect much especially if you want real dressing. I guess for a long time SPG member I expect more from the food.

Secondly while they do have other pools around the property, they were very far from us and not well-maintained at all. In fact we couldn't find food or bar service at any other pool but the main one AND...the main pool had DOZENS of children in it at all times.

Swimming was about the least relaxing thing we could do all day. I think they cater to a lot of local families this time of year so fair warning: This is NOT and adult destination if that is what you have in mind.

It is slightly removed from downtown although there is plenty to eat at the nearby malls and lots of fun shopping, etc. besides the spa/golf so we did fine. I just won't make this a romantic destination any time soon.

Room Tip: ask for a golf course view
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tiflabruno

Thank you for choosing the Westin Mission Hills for your recent gathering with friends. We will definitely share your compliments with our Spa and Golf teams. We are very proud of the service levels and quality in both of those areas. This resort is an exceelent getaway for those type of getaways, be it with couples, girlfriends or the guys.

We will also be very willing to share your food and beverage experience with our teams. Clearly your experience was not as expected and we will work hard to improve upon that. Thank you for the specific examples.

We hope you are able to return again soon and thank you for your business.

Be well,

The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

The grounds of the resort are very pretty and lush. It is the perfect resort to relax and have a margarita by the pool. My boyfriend and I had such a wonderful and romantic time. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
mmacleod32942, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Thank you very much for your recent review of our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The resort is very proud of our ambience and serene setting, we do hope you return soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

I have stayed at this particular Westin five times now and not once have I been let down by the great staff! I have encountered minor problems (i.e. non-functional refrigerators, front desk accidentally checked me out) but they have always been met with great customer service. It may be a little bit away from the hustle and the bustle of Palm Springs, but if peace, quiet and serenity are things that you look forward to a great vacation, this is the place to be!

The only downside is the high resort fee. I wish there was a way that this could be reduced.

Kudos to the staff and management of Westin! Perhaps an upgrade on my next trip? :D

Room Tip: Request for a second floor room because you can hear footsteps from the room above.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank loverboy_30

Thank you very much for your recent review. We sincerely thank you for your repeat business. Our team of associates is trained to provide personal and instinctive service and we strive to continually elevate your experiences.

Please return soon and please send an e-mail to ranch@westin.com for your room preferences prior to arrival.

Be well,

Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

I have stayed here in the past since I am a Starwood member and I love this hotel with the heavenly beds, 2 sinks, large room, coffee maker and great location. I came in on the Birth Date special. When I called the hotel before I came in, the said I could probably get a free upgrade to a pool view since it was during the week and that they were not full..When I arrived, the girl at the desk said there was not much left with pool views..I could not believe it since the hotel was only at 30% occupancy-she tried to give me a room at the farthest end (building 12) with a family pool-I said I did not want to hear alot of kids running around..then she passed me to Francisco on the Front Desk who also backed her up and said there was nothing else. Giovanni (the Valet/Bell man) took me to my room(he was so sweet and kind!) I hated the view..facing an ugly lagoon and only seeing the back of the pool chairs with a limited view of the pool..when I complained they sent me upstairs in the same building and it was the same type of room, only 2 rooms away..I ended up having Giovanni drive me to the front desk..when I got there, Francisco said I had to wait " a few minutes to see the Manager since he was having lunch"-can you believe this attiutude???? Doesn't the customer come first? When Jim came out, I told him those rooms were unacceptable so finally he gave me a great room in Bldg#9..When I unpacked, I found the flat screen snowy..called and a maintenance man came and brought another cable to fix it..when I returned back later in the early evening, not only was the flat screen the same snowy mess but the air conditioner had stopped working too-it was 106 outside and hot inside the room as well..he reset the a/c and another man came in to work on the TV..He said that was the best he could do and he would call the cable company..what a mess I had on this Tuesday..but all in all, I still love this hotel and this location when you finally get the room the way you want it!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your recent review and for choosing to stay with us. It appears that you have been a customer in the past and we sincerely appreciate your business.

Our front office team works very hard to accommodate all guest requests. At times there are limitations based on availability, planned maintenance schedules or other factors. We appreciate your patience and glad that we were able to accommodate your needs eventually.

The maintenance issues described in your posting have been logged and are being fixed agan we regret any inconvenience.

We look forward to your return soon and thank you for choosing the Westin.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

This property is really quite overwhelming in many ways. For the comfort of the room and the overall landscaping one would have to give the place 5 stars. Deduction only because it was impossible to find a lounger when we arrived with our four year old son at the pool. This was very unfortunate 'cos it was a serious heatwave day and we had traveled all the way there from LA.

Otherwise our stay was great, especially with kids. The suite was very spacious and had all the necessary amenities. The restaurant in the evening was very nice; breakfast was a bit of a let down for the price and I didn't like the differing prices for cold or warm buffet, just because my son wanted 1 sausage. Service was mediocre at the restaurant, but the were mostly pleasant. Room service seemd exceptionally good, but maybe because my husband is a preferred guest.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent review of our resort. We sincerely appreciate your comments.

We work hard to provide a vibrant family atmosphere here at the Westin. On August 18th, we will launch our brand new Kids Club, with more activities, more space and a much closer location to our main pool area.

We will provide feedback to our Food and Beverage team regarding your service experience and we thank you for allowing us to improve.

Please return soon, we look forward to serving your family again!

Be Well,

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!