“a little older resort”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Windsor, California
“a little older resort”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This is our 7th year of going to the Westin in Rancho mirage, this year we were disappointed with the room.
There was black mold growing in the shower, sheets were stained and the ice machine did not work in our unit.
The food was great from the restaurant!
Do not think that we will be back next year….

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karma92
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for sharing your review with us. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and are very sorry to hear about your recent experience. We would appreciate the chance to discuss your experience with you further. Please contact me personally at katelyn.thurlow@westin.com.

Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 9, 2011

The spa at the Westin Mission Hills was exactly what I was searching for when my girlfriends and I decided to venture off to the desert to "detox" from our stressful careers. From the moment we pulled up to valet to the morning of checkout I felt like an Arabian queen. The desert was in the 100's temperature wise, it was a treat upon checking to be treated to a special complimentary mint and grapefruit water to hydrate. From there we hit the spa. I had a facial with Mindy and it was hands down the BEST facial I have every gotten. I have been all over the world including Italy and she did something to my skin that I have never experienced anywhere else, it was dewy and rosy for weeks! The price was a little steep but we enjoyed the spa amenities to the fullest (steam room, quiet relaxation areas with apples, nuts and tea and a cool therapy jet pool in the outside courtyard under a cabana). The spa staff were all wonderful and accommodated us when we needed food delivered to the spa for lunch. For the evening we walked the resort and the pink/orange sunset was beautiful with the surrounding mountains. As the stars came out we went for drinks at the steakhouse, which was all wonderful and ended the evening curled up with a bar of dark chocolate in the "heavenly bed"…need I say more? It's one big fluffy cloud. In the morning we started all over again and it was just as majestic, I purchased a yoga outfit from the spa store and an aromatic hydrating misting spray for my face. We started with a detoxifying yoga class, in the afternoon we ended up at the East pool with my beach tote and my hydrating mist, I ended the day with a beautiful sunkissed tan and my skin was still hydrated! The entire resort was immaculate and I slept very well. There were stations with free cucumber/lemon water or mint/grapefruit water all around the resort to combat the unforgiving desert sun. I would definitely stay here again when I need a renewal and a desert detox from my busy, stressful life.

Room Tip: call and ask for the best rate.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelloveguru
We are so pleased to hear you were able to take away from your busy work life and enjoying a renewing weekend with us. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, and for recognizing MIndy, a very valuable spa therapist. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Altadena, California
Reviewed July 8, 2011

At checkout, I received a bill for "Resort Charge" $27 per day. This charge was NEVER mentioned at check-in. I booked and paid for the room through Hotels.com which had ALREADY applied $148.53 "Tax recovery and service fee". I assumed this was the cost of the trip. To my suprise Westin chared an extra $27 pre night and couldn't explain why. Will not stay at a place with fishy bookkeeping.

Room Tip: Make sure there aren't any hidden charges.
3 Thank hanchett
Thank you for your recent review. We are sorry to hear that although the resort charge is posted on our website, your confirmation email and the map you received at check-in, you were not aware of it until checkout. We try very hard to make sure each guest is aware of our industry standard procedures and we can understand why this fee would be surprising had you not read about it previously. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Glendale, California
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We loved the Westin Resort! Our room was next to the main swimming pool which was great for the kids. I was very happy with the room and especially the beds were so comfortable. I would recommend this resort to all my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent review with us. We are so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed time together at our pools, and that you were able to recharge on our signature Heavenly bed. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Perhaps this is standard hospitality level in the United States, but this is definitely not a 4+ star "resort" in any definition of that word elsewhere in the world. There is literally nothing good that can be said about this place: the service is nonexistent, the facilities dated, the room has no character, the bathroom is not stocked with any toiletries other than a basic bar of soar and shampoo/lotion. At the rate they're charging per night, the breakfast should be included, it isn't. The grounds are well kept, but there are no nice places to relax, the pedestrian walkways are limited (if you want to go for a stroll, you will do so in a parking lot) and many areas are poorly lit or completely dark at night, so bring a flashlight. There are three swimming pools all of which are too small for the size of this massive resort, extremely crowded and not very clean. Pool area is disgusting with sticky ground, an occasional spit and overflowing dirty cups/dishes next to sunbeds, that no one seems to care to clean up. The staff does not know what beverage service means and therefore the line up to the bar is enormous. The only reason this gets 2 stars is that the room was clean, adequate to sleep in, the AC worked (in our room at least - but we heard others complaining that theirs broke and the hotel did not hurry to fix it) and the check in/out was pleasant enough. A final note, if you are going to Palm Springs, don't do it in the summer as it is 49C outside and hard to enjoy anything outdoors. Not that there is much to enjoy, unless you like golf. Give it a miss and go to Mexico instead.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lmitravel
Thank you for sharing your recent review with us. We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, as we work hard to provide each guest with a relaxing and refreshing experience. Thank you for your suggestion regarding breakfast, please note that our AAA package does include a breakfast. Thank you for your thoughts regarding lighting and our facilities, I have passed your comments along to the appropriate departments.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We spent the 4th of July weekend at Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa and loved it here.
Room was very large, clean and well appointed. AC did a great job dealing with desert temperatures.
Had Breakfast every morning at the Resort restaurant and the options were plenty, everything of great quality.
The staff took care of all our needs and we were very pleased during the entire time.
If we were to wish for something different, was only the pool crowd... Chairs were all taken within minutes after opening and no cabanas were available at extra cost.

We're certain we are going to return here...

Room Tip: Next time we would love to get a room by the golf course. We had a room in building 10 and was close...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your review with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your 4th of July stay at our resort and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Take care,
Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa
burbank
Reviewed July 7, 2011

From the moment you get there you feel happy valet people greet your car. I love the rooms it is always clean and the location is so beautiful you feel very relaxed. The best thing about this hotel is Bruno Santos . He is the front manager when you check in. He has a million dollar smile makes sure that you are happy. I have been on many destinations he is the best customer service that I have ever seen. In this world there are many beautiful hotels but the people that work there really make the place special. Also in the pool area they have an activity people that they make sure the kids have fun their names were chris and Justin they were wonderful too. I go to westin every year I just feel like we are part of the westin family . Thank you Bruno Santos

Room Tip: I have stayed in many of the rooms they are all nice
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!