“A Very Pleasant Stay.”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Vancouver
“A Very Pleasant Stay.”
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Just returned from a 3 night stay and my wife and I were very happy with the resort. We had read previous reviews on this site, so we were a little concerned, but for us, the resort was great.
First off, the property is amazing. Very spacious, spotless, and beautifully landscaped. We were lucky enough to get a golf course view room - 2nd floor (there were only 2 floors) in building 8. The room was very clean and spacious. We did have to request a refridgerator and it was delivered promptly. Free internet and parking were nice (included with resort fee I suppose).
As past reviewers have indicated, the rooms could use a little updating - small things such as the light switches, electrical outlets, and some of the bathroom fixtures were indeed getting a little worn - but did nothing to take away from our experience.
The service was top notch. Front desk was perfect and shuttle cart drivers were all friendly and helpful.
I golfed the Gary Player course which, although it is part of the resort, is located a short drive from the hotel. The course was awesome - in beautiful condition although the greens were a little slow due to recent overseeding. The staff there was also a ten out of ten - very friendly and helpful.
I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone. And I would say, try not to let negative reviews affect your experience! Don't worry, go have fun!

• Stayed November 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Korean first
iowa
Reviewed November 25, 2007

My wife and I just completed a 5 night stay at the Westin . We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The cleanliness of the property is jaw dropping and the atmosphere salubrious. The rooms are huge and the bathrooms have double vanitys. The commodious balconys are private and definitely worth booking a stunning golf view. The golf course and driving range are conveniently located and the course is a solid resort style experience.
We found the food and service to be top notch throughout the property and the wine list first rate. If you want to go somewhere and relax ,especially if you play golf, pretty hard to beat this resort.
Upon check out was told there is multi million dollar refurbishment scheduled for next spring.

• Stayed November 2007
San Clemente, California
Reviewed November 14, 2007

THIEVES!!! A Company Computer, Cell Phone Charger, And An Expensive Bottle Of Tequila Was STOLEN From A First Floor Room. It Had To Be An Inside Job. The Place Is Infested With Theives. One Of My Counterparts Had His Cell Phone Stolen From His Room During The Same Stay. This Is Suppose To Be 5 Star? I've NEVER Had Anything Stolen From My Room In All The Places I've Stayed Around The World. DON'T STAY HERE! HUGE SAFETY ISSUE!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank noushie
west hills, ca
Reviewed November 4, 2007

Stayed here one night at AAA rate of $219 which included $20 resort fee. The room was not ready for an hour, they took my phone number and called me. Our room had ants in the bathroom, and peeling wallpaper. The carpeting is stained and the furniture needs refinishing. The room was spacious and there was plenty of parking. The pools are very shallow but refreshing. The towels and bedding are great. We got coupons for 2 for 1 drinks at the pool which were quite good. They are trying to sell timeshares, we decided not to attend though. The grounds are very well kept but the rooms need work. I found the location to be too far from the 111 where most shops and restaurants are. Stay here only if you get a really good rate.

• Liked — the ground wells kept. great beds
  • Disliked — rooms need updating
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed November 3, 2007

Stayed 1 night at the Westin. Large hotel with nice surroundings. Good pool areas. Had a large room with 2 queen beds. Westin beds are always really comfy - their heavenly bed. Booked a breakfast package direct on their website but when we checked in the front desk had no record of the package. The girl at the front desk didn't seem to believe us. We were careful to check the bill as we had indeed been charged at checkout. The girl on the front desk this time was much nicer and apologetic. Wouldn't put me off staying at this hotel again but the web offers need to get communicated to the hotel better. Breakfast was really good. We ate in the evening too as the hotel is out of town. Buffet was good value and staff were friendly.

• Liked — Breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — Charging us for the breakfast buffet despite it being included in the price
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Flightsocks
SetSail0917
Reviewed October 25, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for his birthday expecting a nice relaxing weekend in the desert. I had some hassle pre-arranging for champagne to be in the room when we got there, but after being assured by the manager that it was confirmed I thought we were all set.

When we arrived at the property, we checked in and the champagne wasn't there. A little irritated, I let my husband in on the suprise and called to see what happened. They assured me that it was on its way in a few minutes. Two hours later we left for dinner, and the champagne wasn't there even when we got back!

Other issues included - light out in the bathroom and after repeated requests for someone to come change the lightbulb (starting at around 4 pm when we checked in), they came the next morning to change it after we stumbled around in the dark. Broken coffee maker, and "suspect" stains in the bathroom once we did get the lightbulb.

Not at all what we expected, nor will we be going back. Good thing they are trying to sell timeshares or whatever, because no one will be staying here.

• Liked — has potential to be a beautiful property
  • Disliked — service, service, service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SetSail0917
valencia
Reviewed October 19, 2007

We booked a three night stay to meet up with an old friend , do some gambling and play golf. At check -in, they only had us booked for two nights. We got past that and off to our rooms. It took forever to find them .The property is enormous, reminding me of a sprawling apartment complex, a big maze of buildings where there is little charm.

Once we were in our " good sized" room, I couldn't help but feel let down by that " over used" 70ty style , dark wood , furniture.
However, the beds are very comfortable. The bathroom lighting isn't great for make-up , so bring a make-up mirror if you need. We had a small patio that looked onto another one across the way. I noticed about a third of the rooms get nicer views and some of the golf course. To get back to the lobby for dinner , we went to a shuttle cart bench ,where we were picked. What do you do when it's cold or raining, I thought?

On to the Italian buffet, the food was limited, over priced and soggy. They didn't have the bottle of champange I ordered, and my boyfriend was very unhappy to hear that his ' Jack & Coke", would be with Pepsi, which he hates. This " so called " five star hotel does not serve Coke! Shame on them!

The next day , we tried laying out at the main pool, but there were no chairs. We managed to snag the last two loungers at the center, but smaller pool and actually enjoyed some quiet time with fewer kids around. Both the main pool and center pool have a snack bar and cocktails.

I forgot to mention the breakfast buffet is fine at $19.00 a head. But with two Mimosa's , at $12.00 each, it was adding up. Breakfast places are very hard to come by anywhere close , so you're kind of stuck.

Our friend checked in at this time and had a similar booking problem , except they did not have any reservation for him at all. They told him they were booked solid, but after an hour of him demanding a room, he scored one similar to ours, only smaller
and even further away from the lobby , restaurant and pools.

I stayed back while the boys hit the Casino right down the street. I had a shuttle cart take me back to the room where I found my key no longer worked. While on my cell to the front desk, I caught a staff member and with a master key, he let me in. I was dying to go to sleep and asked the front desk to please bring me a key that worked. An hour and a half later after four ranting calls, the keys showed up. The next night, the same thing happened to my boyfriend. He ran back to the room to use our private bathroom and couldn't get in the room at a very compromising time. The first night I did request extra feather pillows and they arrived within ten minutes.

The next day we had lunch on the outside patio of the restaurant. A half hour later, we didn't even have our drinks. I got up to find a waitess who later told me the one who originally took our order left. Overall, I have to rate our experience a small fiasco.

The good things are the size of the rooms and the waterfalls near the restaurant. The hotel backs up on a scenic golf course which makes for a nice walk during daylight hours. This course was being reseeded, so we played their alternate course which was a delightful , long course, just a bit brown on the grass.

I really can't say any more about this Westin, except, don't let the great photos lure you in. It doesn't look anything like the Morrocan hotel they describe. There are better places to hang out. I lived in this area for six years, visiting most of the hotels during that time. This one did not impress me enough to want to return. I definately think they are more concerned selling time shares than servicing their guests!

• Liked — nice pool and golf course
  • Disliked — a bit dated with lack of good service, and food
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!