“"It's the desert, you're going to have bugs in your room"” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Los Angeles, California
“"It's the desert, you're going to have bugs in your room"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

My wife and I took our 8 month old daughter to visit her grandparents for Thanksgiving. We decided to stay at the Rancho Las Palmas Resort because we were told it was a great place. When we got there the lobby was decorated for the holidays and it seemed like we were in for a great weekend. Being such a fancy resort, we were surprised no one took your luggage to your room, but that's fine we took care of it. The room was your basic hotel room, nothing fancy there either. But we figured the price of the room must be high because of the fancy pool. Shame it was 50 degrees outside. Anyway, we spent the day away from the resort, but that night my wife woke me up screaming from the bathroom. There was a roach crawling up the wall!!! I was able to catch it, but we were pretty freaked out. We laid awake most of the night afraid bugs would be crawling on us and our 8 month old daughter. The next morning we complained to the front desk. I asked to speak to a manager. It took 4 hours before I was finally about to speak to a manager. She seemed annoyed that we complained, but offered us 50% off one night's stay. We also asked if we could change rooms. We packed all of our stuff, and moved to a new room, but at least we wouldn't have to worry about bugs anymore. WRONG. More bugs, no roaches, but WAY more critters than the first room. Crickets, silverfish, and some other weird looking things. We spent this night again laying in bed hoping nothing would bite us, or crawl on our daughter. The next morning, we checked out early, ready to get out of there! When checking out I told the woman at the front desk about the bugs, and I was told "Its the desert, we have bugs here. You must be from the city" I would understand if this was a Motel 6 and I was paying $69 a night, but this is the RANCHO LAS PALMAS RESORT AND SPA!!!!! They have a fancy lobby! Why is no one mortified that there are bugs crawling all over there rooms? Why am I being made to feel stupid because I don't want bugs crawling on my wife and child?

Upon check out we noticed the $25 dollar a day "Resort Fee" on our bill. I was going to ask about the fee, but I knew the woman would have just told me "It's the desert, we charge extra fees."

This seems like a popular place, but I can't figure out why. We will be staying in Rancho Mirage for MANY years to come, but NEVER at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelingFamily72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Korean first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

Rancho las Palmas was perfect. It was comfortable clean and beautiful. A wonderfully relaxing place to be.

With a lovely spa and lazy river and very chic restaurant we know we will be going back again soon

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
Dear bevnjim,
Thank you for posting your review! We’re so glad you enjoyed everything about your stay here at Rancho! Hopefully we’ll be able to welcome you again very soon!
san diego,ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

Presently here having a wonderful time. The kids are having a blast at Splashtopia. The lazy river is heated to a very warm temperature allowing me to continually float without getting chilled. The staff is over the top in service and kindness.

The resort was booked the night before making our room unavailable for early check-in but we were given our wristbands for Splashtopia and off we went to wait. We ordered food poolside from the sweet attentive staff and received quick service. The real breast meat chicken tenders for the kids were a hit. The smoothies delicious without the fake mix taste. We received a call at 4PM letting us know our room was ready. The staff offered to send the keys to the pool in 10 minutes but 30 minutes later they still had not arrived. The pool staff made additional calls but could not get the keys so they offered to run to the desk and get them for us....such gentlemen. The keys arrived as he exited the pool allowing us to go to our room at 5PM.

The room is tastefully appointed as well as the bathroom. Nothing dated here. The bathroom has marble floors, dark stained crown moulding, antiqued brass fixtures, and granite countertops. Very similar to our five star stay at Bacara. The room has a standard layout for a double. The beds are only full size instead of queens but comfortable with quality linens. The rest of the room offers a flat screen TV, desk, reading chair with ottoman and a porch by the pool.
It is a pleasure to write this review on the free high speed WI-Fi included in the resort fee.

As we enjoy more of Las Palmas we will update our review.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dear wildanimalpark,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review during your stay at Rancho Las Palmas! We’re very glad you and your family were able to enjoy Splashtopia and your stay. We hope to welcome you all back again soon!
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

I love everything about Rancho Las Palmas. We have stayed there 2 years in a row and cant wait to go back. Everything is perfect. the staff is great, the food is great. Just a little peace of heaven. The spa is to die for! Thanks RLP for another great stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Dear Valgal143,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad that you love Rancho Las Palmas and that you make your trip an annual occurrence! We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon!
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

I stayed here for two nights with my partner whilst traveling the west coast of america. It was a lovely and very relaxed hotel.
The rooms are quite large with very comfy beds and all have good air conditioning (extremely useful when it was 45 degrees in the day!) Our room was very clean and towels changed daily. Mini bar was very expensive though!
The swimming pool area was good (not quite as big as I thought it would be) and had plenty of beds and parasols. There is also an adult only pool which is nice if you want a bit of piece and quiet. Also the beds at this pool are more comfortable.
The bar and reception are very clean and had a great atmosphere but one of the best things about the hotel was the location. Over the road is a large complex with many bars, restaurants and a few shops. This was great seeing as it was still very hot and humid in the evening so it wasn't far to walk.
Unfortunately I didn't get chance to try and of the spa treatments but they looked reasonably priced and very popular.
Definitely a hotel I would recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear leanner84,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor! We’re very glad that you were able to stay at Rancho during your tour of the West Coast and that you enjoyed the resort and its location! We hope to welcome you back again soon and maybe next time you’ll be able to enjoy the spa!
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

Stayed 9 days at the hotel. I have no complaints. Very nice grounds. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Convenient to park in front of the unit. I am somewhat difficult to please as I REALLY REALLY want a quiet and private room. 1st night stayed in a room where the view from the balcony was completely blocked by a tree. The room was quiet, but without a view we asked to be moved. 2nd night stayed in a room overlooking the walkway to the hotel. Not private as everyone walking by stares into the room. 3rd try, we were moved to a room overlooking the golf fareway, it was private and quiet.

My wife and I did splashutopia one day, it was enjoyable.

I found the restaurants to be over priced, but there is good restaurants only a block away.

Halloween night we had the same experience as another guest. Awaken by jackasses at 3 in the morning. After 15 minutes phoned the front desk and security had it all quiet once again. I believe that security should have been a little more on top of things because to me it was quite apparent by watching other guests, there was going to a problem that night. from. Securtiy cant stop things from happening, but should be able to stop the nuts in good time once they started.

The next morning the asst front desk manager proactively phoned us, apologized for the problem and offered to make it up. I must say this impressed me a lot and is the way customer service should work. Especially in this day and age of poor customer service.

The tennis center next door was excellent. Again great customer service.

The $25 resort fee, is extravagant for what one gets.

Overall I would recommend this property and would stay again but would be careful with the room I would reserve.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear garyr59,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re glad that you enjoyed your stay and we were able to accommodate you with a room that met your requirements. We did experience quite a bit of noise on Halloween but steps have been taken to avoid that occurrence in the future. We hope to welcome you back again soon for a completely restful stay!
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

Just spent 5 days at Rancho Las Palmas and we enjoyed it a great deal. Great for both families and couples. Good service, nice amenities!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear jmeloy99,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re very glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!