“Rancho las forget it”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed November 15, 2006

Okay, we had seen some warning signs on Tripadvisor, but after talking to the hotel, it seemed that we were going to have a nice room. (And we knew we would love the location.)
And we DID love the location......we just hated the room. In fact, the whole resort just seems like one big barking dog. This resort has been purchased from Mariott and the new owners need to "git 'er done." By that, we mean a complete and total renovation. The grounds were ugly and poorly lit; the landscaping was nil; the rooms are worn and ugly. The surprising positive thing (as also mentioned by another reviewer), are the bed linens and beds. We were supposed to stay three nights here and we could barely stay one. If the new owners fix this place up, it should do well in its location. In the meantime, just drive right on by.

Stayed: November 2006
7  Thank mskitz
Write a ReviewReviews (3,840)

Reviewed November 5, 2006

Be warned KSL have just bought this place from Marriott. When we arrived at 2pm we were told we could not check in til 4pm. A receptionist took our phone no and said they would call, when the room was ready. Several hours later...no call, headed back to reception - no record of booking despite our earlier confirmation! They said no king bed rooms left despite us ordering apparently they do not guarantee room type be warned.

We were insistent and eventually got a king room although not poolside as we had booked. They did give us a 50$ food credit.

However all the staff on reception were new trainees the computer system did not work they only had 2 staff on at a time and the queues were bad.

The hotel grounds are lovely although badly lit at night all the rooms are little units and miles away from hotel reception and valet is non existant. They do offer a shuttle cart which you can phone from your room to pick you up from your unit and transfer you back to reception.

The bar near the poolside shuts about 5pm on a Fri / Sat afternoon and there are only limited drinks available from a makeshift bar in the courtyard.

Not a luxury experience and my husband and I will not be going back!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rag90
Reviewed November 4, 2006

My husband and I wanted a quick weekend get away and went on Expedia to book this hotel. The pictures on the website were beautiful. I even reviewed it here and the only negative comment I found was that you had to drive to your room. SO, we booked it. We pulled up to the hotel and were still impressed. However, as another person wrote, it is like an apartment complex. Our room had nice linens, and that was about it. After being in the room for about 2 minutes, my husband had already killed 11 mosquitos, I thought this was the desert! I called the front desk asking if this was common and the person's response was, yes, unfortunately, b/c of the standing water around the "golf course," they do get a lot of mosquitos. Luckily, we were on our way out to dinner, so they sent someone over to spray the room. I'm not sure what they sprayed, but that was the last of the mosquitos. The pool they show on the website is the spa pool. The spa is nice, but unless you get a treatment, you are not able to use the spa pool. Luckily we did, so we did not have to use the other pool, which were not very impressing.

The tennis and golf amenities that makes this a "resort" are not impressing either. The grass on the golf course is dead, it looked awful. OH, you have to pay!! You have to drive to the tennis courts, b/c they are part of some other residential complex next door. When we drove up there to use the courts, they wanted $20. I paid, b/c I knew that was just her job, I would take it up when we checked out. When we checked out, I basically said you are falsely advertising the "resort" by claiming there is tennis when you 1) have to drive to it when it is even located on their "resort" map (which it is not) and 2) requiring to pay for playing outside tennis. Who pays for outside tennis? I could have mapquested some nearby high school and played for free. They took off the $20.

One good thing was the location. It is right across the street from "The River," which is basically an outdoor mall with restaurants, and Roy's is also nearby.

Overall, b/c I had such high expectations from the extremely flattering pictures on the website, I was pretty disappointed. I would maybe stay there again if I got a really good deal on a room, maybe.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jeanos
Reviewed October 26, 2006

It is very deceiving to drive up to this resort as it looks luxurious and beautiful as you drive up. Then you pay a lot of money to basically end up staying in what looks like an apartment complex. The hotel web site pictures of the pool are deceiving in that the pool also looks like an apartment pool and is only 3-1/2 deep all the way around. Didn't check out the other, smaller "quiet" pool as we had kids. The one slide that it has drops off into a small circular pool just slightly bigger than a jacuzzi. The complex is so large it's not like you are even near the luxurious front lobby and you have to drive to your room. There are $5.99 bottles of water in your room and they make sure you want it by not putting any vending machines in your buildings-even though there deceptively are signs that say "vending machines". I discovered this at night when I was thirsty and only found an ice machine there. The tiny refrigerator in the room wasn't cold enough. The room/bathroom were just very average. For the price we paid we could have had an ocean view room so we were severely disappointed with our stay. We felt duped-we drove hours only to stay in an apartment! Nothing about our stay felt "luxurious". How does this place get 5 stars-except maybe its lobby area.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank Mariapic
Reviewed October 18, 2006

I recently attended a conference at this hotel. I read the reviews on this site prior to booking my stay at the group rate, but I still booked my room since I figured I wouldn't be in it too much anyway.

The staff was very friendly at check-in and seemed to be trying to accommodate a last minute visitor even though the hotel was fully booked. Check in was quick and painless. Although there were a few attendants hanging out in front of the hotel to greet people, no one asked if I needed any help with my bags. It was easy to find my room (drove to it - about half a mile away). When I walked in I was immediately hit with a strong musty odor, but I figured that it would go away after I aired the room out. I flipped some lights on and noticed that the carpet was completely covered with large red, yellow, and black stains. One part of the carpet even had a stain/burn in the shape of an iron. The room was near the pool (no pool view, but the waterslide was just above my head), so I figured that it had hosted several families with small children. The carpet was so bad that I didn't feel comfortable taking my shoes off.

I called the front desk and explained the situation. They offered to move me to a different room, but the current room paired with the other bad reviews on this site made me decide to just move to the Residence Inn. The manager waived the $75 early check-out charge and apologized. He also mentioned that they were in the midst of renovating and that they intended for the property to be much nicer come next year.

No complaints about the conference facilities or service. Staff was very nice and everything seemed to go off without a hitch.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank lphillips
Reviewed September 22, 2006

Warm greetings by valet and reception desk, and ice cold lemon water in the lobby. Nice spacious nd clean rooms, comfy bed. The only drawback would be that the resort is so big that you have to drive your car to find your room and it is quite a hike to the pool areas. I thought it was a good value. Note there is a $20.00 per day resort fee for the daily paper, internet access and access to the spa/exercise room.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank susieq35
Reviewed September 14, 2006

Resort is definitely not accomodating & service is terrible. A few things to consider, you have to drive out to find the building to your room (there are at least approx 31 bldgs and 450 rooms). Hope for no rain when you check in - unfortunately, we had tropical weather with rain creepin at us that day. The map the front desk provided to find our room did not have room numbers listed on it - just squares and circles drawn. Front desk just drew out where are room "might" be at. SOME of the rooms face the parking lot - so if you are lucky you'll find it as you drive around - however MOST of the rooms are faced inward toward the golf courses and that is when you gotta get down and walk around and find your room. Turned out our room was inward, so we had to get down and find it....we got lost & soaked in the rain trying to find our room.
Ice & vending machines are not available in every building. Our room did not have any information where the closest one was for us to get. I called front desk, housekeeping & the operator --- none of them knew where the ice/vending machine was at near my room. So I asked to have room service send me ice.....well, I never got it and found the machines 2 buildings away from my room.
On Saturday and Sunday the cocktail/food attendants stop serving at the Adult pool at 3pm, however they have the attendants serving at the family pools until the evenings. Is that a joke or what!!!
With all the disappointments with our first stay at this resort, the only thing that we enjoyed was the room. Very very spacious with goose-down comforters & pillows, robes, mini-bar, mini-fridge & the view of the golf courses. Also the resort is walking distance & across from The River that consists of several restaurants (Babes my favorite), shops & the movie theatre.
However, when I vacation in Rancho Mirage for the summer - I prefer exceptional, accomodating service & to relax, enjoy, eat & drink by the pool until sunset. Since this resort did not meet my expectations - I would NEVER come back & if you are smart enough, you wouldn't dare to give this place a try.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!