“the best place to stay in the desert”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed January 4, 2010

anyone looking for a great time in the palm springs area, there is only one place you should stay (rancho las palmas). You will enjoy you time from the start to the last day.
dan waage

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wsalon
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2010

Dear Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments, and glad you made the trip down from Laguna Hills. A short & sweet review, but we definitely agree! :)

Happy New Year!
Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (3,956)

Reviewed January 3, 2010

Just spent a full week at Rancho Las Palmas with my husband and two kids 1 1/2 and 4 years old and we loved it. We had two rooms in the area overlooking the adult tranquillity pool (which I eyed jealously each day as I realised with a sigh my two kids would make it impossible for me to get there ;)) and were very happy with the accommodations. The rooms are lovely, large, new and clean - as is the bathroom. We asked and weer provided with a small fridge and microwave which was a fantastic help when you've got little ones. We had room service twice and both times happy with the speed of delivery and the quality. We ate at the restaurant once and were really happy - the kids ate for free from a kids buffet (which they loved!) and the adult meals were all delicious. The casual coffee shop/ cafe was a lifesaver! We were there every morning as it opened at 6 am (don't kids understand its a vacation! ;)) - the cafe staff were so lovely, warm and welcoming every morning.
The big draw is the golf course and the pool area "Splashtopia" - great fun for the kids and relaxing for the adults.
The only area I could point to for improvement was in staff numbers - they seemed understaffed for the Christmas / New Year crowd and many guests were visibly frustrated by the long wait for front desk staff.
The "River" complex is directly across the road - walking distance - and has a movie complex and loads of restaurants nearby - lots to choose from.

2  Thank sydsfmum

Dear Sysdfmum,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and glasd you made the trip down from San Fran! We've built the resort to appeal to families and adults, and the ammenities seemed like a perfect fit with your family. We think having The River a few steps away gives Rancho the best location in the valley, something no other resort has! We've shared your comments regarding the Front Office staffing with our management team. It was a sold out week during the holidays, and we offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expecations in this department.

Thank you again for taking the time to post, we greatly appreciate the feedback as we strive to improve.

Happy New Year,

Reviewed January 1, 2010

Lured by extremely attractive rates and reasonably warm weather, we decided to try this hotel for our extended family getaway with 4 kids under the age of 7. In the plus category: Splashtopia was a huge hit. The kids could have stayed in there all day despite pretty chilly temperatures. There were numerous lifeguards who watched over everyone with an eagle-eye (A+). Tennis facilities were fantastic with a great pro who seemed to remember everyone's name and leaped to help you on the courts (A+). Room service and pool menu was very reasonable as those things go, especially for the kids menu (A). The food quality was good although again, don't go expecting a Four Seasons caliber meal (B+). (Get the pulled pork sandwich at the pool area.) Other positives -- spa was relaxing and tranquil with exceptional staff. We loved having the casual coffee/pastry cafe available, which is ideal for kids who can't sit through a formal breakfast (both A+). Considering the low room rates we got, the room decor was just fine - nicer than a Marriott, but less than your average Ritz Carlton (B/B+). In the negative category: Room service one of the nights for the adults took over an hour and was lukewarm/cold upon arrival. Although the resort had lots of inviting outdoor furniture, much of it was dirty and stained. Would have loved to see a more pristine presentation in the public areas. We'd rate the gym a B-. Placed in a low-ceiling room without much cross-ventilation and no view. Small and cramped. Our biggest frustration with the entire experience, however, was the front desk and concierge. We were there for 5 days and never saw a concierge at the desk once. Phone calls placed through the "pleasure to assist" line never resulted in the answers we needed. The folks working the front desk were fantastic and clearly very competent and service oriented. However... the hotel needs about 3-4 more of them at ALL times. Each time we went to the front desk for something (because there was no concierge), the line was 7-10 people deep. The resulting frustration tainted the experience for us, unfortunately. That said, I would still recommend the resort to anyone with kids and with interest in golf, tennis and just being outdoors. The location is very picturesque, right up against the mountains and the resort layout is such that you don't feel like you're just part of a strip mall; feels private and relaxing with beautiful, well-maintained landscaping.

1  Thank Sydney4

Dear Sydney4,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, we greatly appreciate it and we're so glad to hear your family had a great stay. Kevin Connolly is our tennis pro, and we think he's the best around! We've shared your comments regarding concierge staffing with our Front office management team, it was certainly a very busy week and I apologize for not meeting your expectations in this area.

Best Regards and Happy New Year,

Reviewed December 25, 2009

We spent 3 days and nights at Rancho Las Palmas with our 10 and 11-1/2 year old children and did not leave disappointed. The rooms are spacious, modern and clean, as are the rest of the grounds. The staff was accommodating and polite and the experience was nearly flawless.

The big attraction for children is Splashtopia, a mini water park replete with slides, a faux beach, water guns and a meandering "river." There are several lifeguards on duty, so parents can sit idly by and relax, knowing their children are safe. My only complaint is the chlorine level, which was exceptionally high. My "tweenage" children would have preferred the pools to be deeper, but c'est la vie.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant each day, which was nothing spectacular, though the service was friendly and reliable. The food, though was not special, poorly cooked and overpriced, as well. It really stood in contrast to the quality of the rest of the property. We also ate food poolside once, but found it, too, a disappointment. Fortunately, Rancho Las Palmas sits across from a large, modern mall that offers restaurants, shops and a multiplex, so we availed ourselves of it for lunch and dinner.

I did not get an opportunity to use the Spa, though I did use the Fitness Center, which was certainly adequate for my purposes.

Overall, I recommend Rancho Las Palmas for families who desire a sophisticed, service-oriented getaway.

1  Thank LaJollaJoe
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2009

Dear LaJollaJoe,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and let us know about your experience. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We had just done some maintenance to the Splashtopia River and Slides, so perhaps that affected the chlorine level. We will investigate with our pool management team.

Sorry to hear your feedback regarding the breakfast and poolside food. We have forwarded your comments to our culinary team and appreciate the feedback.

THanks again for your feedback and hope you have a happy new year!

Reviewed December 22, 2009

If you're looking for a wonderful room with a view, a super campus with great facilities and shops and food services, a walk across the street to a magnificent shopping mall, and exciting pool areas (for children & adults: Splashtopia!), and just want to relax and enjoy it all...Rancho Las Palmas is THE place. We drive north from the San Diego area several times per year - sometimes just my wife and I, other times the children & grand-children - and we continue doing it because we love it. I often need to get away from the pressures of my work, and this place has met my needs like no other. Super staff - friendly and out-going, recognizing their duty is to help us relax and enjoy. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EscondidoMaestro

Dear EscondidoMaestro,

Thank you for taking the time to write in and review Rancho - we're thrilled to hear you had a great stay and appreciate your continued business. Hop you take the short drive from San Diego again soon!

Reviewed December 21, 2009

My wife and I and our 2 teenage boys just spent the weekend at Rancho Las Palmas (Fri-Sun) and found our entire stay wonderful. Our adjoining rooms were spotless, and overlooked the golf course where there were ducks and other birds. It was nice to have our porch open up to this vast fairway. And the grounds were beautifully tended and full of flowers, pathways, and view points. Our boys also liked the HD TV's which they watched after dinner.

The pools scene was amazing. The large pool scene was at Splashatopia, which consisted of a Lazy River, twin slides, and a water dropping action area. I was surprised that my sons got so into the pool, but they seemed to lose their teenage swagger and just acted like kids again. It was even more fun when my wife and I joined them in the lazy river for a couple of hours. The weather was ideal and the time flew by. We had lunch both days at the pool and thought the caesar and fruit salads were the best items.

I also took a long swim in the adults only Tranquility pool, where I was able to do my laps for 30 minutes. Although there were a couple of other adults around the pool, it was quiet, calm, and a delight to get away from the kid's pool for a time too.

We enjoyed cocktail hour and drinks our first night at the BluEmber fire ring, which was incredibly pretty. The fire ring took the chill out of the air, and my wife and I had big cocktails while the kids had sodas, along with hummus and chips. We went on to dinner inside and had a couple of very good rib steaks (bone-in) and pork chop, while our youngest had his standby Chicken fingers from the kids menu, which was no charge along with our 3 adult entrees. We had a great waiter who brought our youngest boy onion rings, even though it was not on the menu. All in all, a very good restaurant. Not cheap, but reasonable considering the food quality and setting. We don't always eat at the Hotel restaurant, but this time we really enjoyed the whole ambience of walking from our rooms to the outdoor lounge and the restaurant, sort of like being on a cruise ship where everything is in reach; no need for driving, parking, etc.

The staff were all warm and seemed to remember my name. I was particularly impressed with the Splashatopia lifeguards, who were very attentive to the activity in the pool, never taking their eye off the water, staying spread out, not chatting amongst themselves. Someone has trained them well.

The hotel felt like a resort, and really delivered. We will definitely come back.

2  Thank DrPZ

Dear DrPZ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and feedback, we greatly appreciate it.

So glad to hear you had a fun and relaxing stay. It's amazing to see how many older children - and even adults - enjoy Splashtopia. It's definitely fun for everyone! As for our team of lifeguards, we spend a significant amount of time and resources making sure that all our guests are able to enjoy the area in complete safety, and we've forwarded your comments along to our pool management team. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed December 14, 2009

I was recommended this hotel as I was coming in for a charity concert for Barry Manilow. I was very nervous as I had not been to Palm Springs before and had visions of Upper Crust, Wealth and Old Money. It couldn't have been further from that! The city is very arts oriented and filled with history and beautiful surroundings. It's like a getaway for famous people who want to live without all the paparazzi. EVERYONE made me feel welcome from the beginning, especially David at the front desk. He was so welcoming, funny and helpful. All my nerves vanished as he made my check in simple, quick and painless. My room was clean and I was able to check in 2 hours early with no problem. Every time I went into the hotel someone knew my name and asked if they could assist me with anything. I slept like a baby as the bed was heavenly! It's a shame I had to go 3,000 miles away to get an uninterrupted nights sleep! I did some shopping in the gift shop and the service was great there as well, as was the service at the Blu Ember restaurant. I am a picky eater and the chef accomodated me with my request, no problem. The grounds are beautiful and peaceful. My checkout was simple as well and my bill was correct. I cannot wait to go back and see more of the city and will definitely stay here again. Thanks! Penny Layne White

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank BarryManilowFan

Dear BarryManilowFan,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, and we're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope you enjoyed the Barry's "A Gift of Love COncert" Series just as much - it raised a lot of money for local charities. For others coming into town, Rancho is jsut a few miles away from the McCallum Theatre, an incredible performing arts venue.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!