“A Great Place to Unwind with the Kids”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed December 25, 2009

We spent 3 days and nights at Rancho Las Palmas with our 10 and 11-1/2 year old children and did not leave disappointed. The rooms are spacious, modern and clean, as are the rest of the grounds. The staff was accommodating and polite and the experience was nearly flawless.

The big attraction for children is Splashtopia, a mini water park replete with slides, a faux beach, water guns and a meandering "river." There are several lifeguards on duty, so parents can sit idly by and relax, knowing their children are safe. My only complaint is the chlorine level, which was exceptionally high. My "tweenage" children would have preferred the pools to be deeper, but c'est la vie.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant each day, which was nothing spectacular, though the service was friendly and reliable. The food, though was not special, poorly cooked and overpriced, as well. It really stood in contrast to the quality of the rest of the property. We also ate food poolside once, but found it, too, a disappointment. Fortunately, Rancho Las Palmas sits across from a large, modern mall that offers restaurants, shops and a multiplex, so we availed ourselves of it for lunch and dinner.

I did not get an opportunity to use the Spa, though I did use the Fitness Center, which was certainly adequate for my purposes.

Overall, I recommend Rancho Las Palmas for families who desire a sophisticed, service-oriented getaway.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank LaJollaJoe
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2009

Dear LaJollaJoe,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and let us know about your experience. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We had just done some maintenance to the Splashtopia River and Slides, so perhaps that affected the chlorine level. We will investigate with our pool management team.

Sorry to hear your feedback regarding the breakfast and poolside food. We have forwarded your comments to our culinary team and appreciate the feedback.

THanks again for your feedback and hope you have a happy new year!

Reviewed December 22, 2009

If you're looking for a wonderful room with a view, a super campus with great facilities and shops and food services, a walk across the street to a magnificent shopping mall, and exciting pool areas (for children & adults: Splashtopia!), and just want to relax and enjoy it all...Rancho Las Palmas is THE place. We drive north from the San Diego area several times per year - sometimes just my wife and I, other times the children & grand-children - and we continue doing it because we love it. I often need to get away from the pressures of my work, and this place has met my needs like no other. Super staff - friendly and out-going, recognizing their duty is to help us relax and enjoy. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EscondidoMaestro

Dear EscondidoMaestro,

Thank you for taking the time to write in and review Rancho - we're thrilled to hear you had a great stay and appreciate your continued business. Hop you take the short drive from San Diego again soon!

Reviewed December 21, 2009

My wife and I and our 2 teenage boys just spent the weekend at Rancho Las Palmas (Fri-Sun) and found our entire stay wonderful. Our adjoining rooms were spotless, and overlooked the golf course where there were ducks and other birds. It was nice to have our porch open up to this vast fairway. And the grounds were beautifully tended and full of flowers, pathways, and view points. Our boys also liked the HD TV's which they watched after dinner.

The pools scene was amazing. The large pool scene was at Splashatopia, which consisted of a Lazy River, twin slides, and a water dropping action area. I was surprised that my sons got so into the pool, but they seemed to lose their teenage swagger and just acted like kids again. It was even more fun when my wife and I joined them in the lazy river for a couple of hours. The weather was ideal and the time flew by. We had lunch both days at the pool and thought the caesar and fruit salads were the best items.

I also took a long swim in the adults only Tranquility pool, where I was able to do my laps for 30 minutes. Although there were a couple of other adults around the pool, it was quiet, calm, and a delight to get away from the kid's pool for a time too.

We enjoyed cocktail hour and drinks our first night at the BluEmber fire ring, which was incredibly pretty. The fire ring took the chill out of the air, and my wife and I had big cocktails while the kids had sodas, along with hummus and chips. We went on to dinner inside and had a couple of very good rib steaks (bone-in) and pork chop, while our youngest had his standby Chicken fingers from the kids menu, which was no charge along with our 3 adult entrees. We had a great waiter who brought our youngest boy onion rings, even though it was not on the menu. All in all, a very good restaurant. Not cheap, but reasonable considering the food quality and setting. We don't always eat at the Hotel restaurant, but this time we really enjoyed the whole ambience of walking from our rooms to the outdoor lounge and the restaurant, sort of like being on a cruise ship where everything is in reach; no need for driving, parking, etc.

The staff were all warm and seemed to remember my name. I was particularly impressed with the Splashatopia lifeguards, who were very attentive to the activity in the pool, never taking their eye off the water, staying spread out, not chatting amongst themselves. Someone has trained them well.

The hotel felt like a resort, and really delivered. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank DrPZ

Dear DrPZ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and feedback, we greatly appreciate it.

So glad to hear you had a fun and relaxing stay. It's amazing to see how many older children - and even adults - enjoy Splashtopia. It's definitely fun for everyone! As for our team of lifeguards, we spend a significant amount of time and resources making sure that all our guests are able to enjoy the area in complete safety, and we've forwarded your comments along to our pool management team. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed December 14, 2009

I was recommended this hotel as I was coming in for a charity concert for Barry Manilow. I was very nervous as I had not been to Palm Springs before and had visions of Upper Crust, Wealth and Old Money. It couldn't have been further from that! The city is very arts oriented and filled with history and beautiful surroundings. It's like a getaway for famous people who want to live without all the paparazzi. EVERYONE made me feel welcome from the beginning, especially David at the front desk. He was so welcoming, funny and helpful. All my nerves vanished as he made my check in simple, quick and painless. My room was clean and I was able to check in 2 hours early with no problem. Every time I went into the hotel someone knew my name and asked if they could assist me with anything. I slept like a baby as the bed was heavenly! It's a shame I had to go 3,000 miles away to get an uninterrupted nights sleep! I did some shopping in the gift shop and the service was great there as well, as was the service at the Blu Ember restaurant. I am a picky eater and the chef accomodated me with my request, no problem. The grounds are beautiful and peaceful. My checkout was simple as well and my bill was correct. I cannot wait to go back and see more of the city and will definitely stay here again. Thanks! Penny Layne White

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank BarryManilowFan

Dear BarryManilowFan,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, and we're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope you enjoyed the Barry's "A Gift of Love COncert" Series just as much - it raised a lot of money for local charities. For others coming into town, Rancho is jsut a few miles away from the McCallum Theatre, an incredible performing arts venue.

Reviewed December 11, 2009

This was a great little weekend getaway for my husband and myself. I have stayed in Rancho Mirage/Indian Wells for many years now, but this was my first trip to the Rancho Las Palmas. It’s a smaller hotel, and quite lovely. The grounds are immaculate and the rooms are quite luxurious with coffee/tea and robes for your stay there. Everything felt very clean, and the lobby was quite beautiful.

My husband and I got a package deal for $100 towards food purchases, spa services, etc. We ended up using ours on a massage for me (that’s why I love my hubby), and it was wonderful! The spa has the most luxe, comfy robes, and very good amenities. I enjoyed the experience very much. Lupe gave a great deep-tissue!

Another great part about this hotel is its location. For those of you familiar with the area, it is right across the street from The River, the best place to be in town. They have great restaurants (we love Babe’s BBQ,) shops, bookstores, etc. I found this a big plus that we could walk right across the street to it.

If anything slightly negative had to be said about this place, it is the lack of privacy in the bathroom. There is a sliding door, but it has slats in it. No one can see in, but you can hear every single thing that is going on in and outside of the bathroom. The shower also has one side of it that is glass, so two people can’t really be in the bathroom at the same time if one is taking a shower (and you feel uncomfortable being seen naked…would apply more if you came here with someone other than your spouse.) I also think the rooms are a bit too pricey for what you are getting.

I hear they have a great water park at the hotel (lazy river, inner tube rides, etc.), but my hubby and I didn’t take our bathing suits since we figured it was December. I was told, however, that the water is kept at 80 degrees year round, so enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank faithc

Dear faithc,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we greatly appreciate it.

We've forwarded your comment about our therapist Lupe to our Spa Management team - she is one of our best! Glad to hear you enjoyed our location, just a few steps away fom The River, complete with restaurants, shopping and movie theaters, we love being so close!

We have heard similar comments regarding the bathroom and will be looking at some ways to make them more comfortable and private in the near future.

Thank you again for taking the time to post.

Reviewed December 2, 2009

Very nice resort! Everyone was very friendly. So close to town and all the great shops and restaurants! The restaurant here is very good and the spa was fantastic!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank leighellenm
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Stopped here for a few days on our California trip for some relaxation and tranquility and got exactly what we were looking for! What an absolutely beautiful place to stay which only matches the beauty of the surrounding area. We had a room with a view of the golf course and mountains which couldn't have been more breathtaking. Loved the patio which we sat on every morning eating our breakfast and enjoying the view. Splashtopia was wonderful and so much fun. The food at BluEmber and the pool bar was delicious and once again the view was amazing. Loved the setup that makes you feel like you're living in a gated community. Also felt like a queen at the spa. The only bad thing was that we had to leave!

• Stayed: October 2009
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!