“Nice Place”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice Place”
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Very comfortable and well equipped rooms, nice beds and pillows with a great view of the golf course and lots of ducks! The king rooms have french doors that open to the golf course and a nice LG flat screen television with a desk and work area.

The Blu Ember had decent food, but the service was a little slow. They also keep the restaurant too warm so eat outside. One word of warning...if you aren't into kids, don't stay at this resort. Way too many kids!! Strollers everywhere. When having a cocktail at the bar you shouldn't have to hear kids screaming in the background and see 100 strollers roaming around. It's a very family oriented place. Breakfast was good!

We would stay again and would also recommend it to friends.

Would stay again as we enjoyed the rooms and the property, but would probably eat elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank KTMuggy
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We do pride ourselves on being an extremely family friendly resort, and during your visit we were hosting a large Junior Tennis tournament at our Country Club. We are currently working on a plan to improve some of the more adult-oriented areas of the property, specifically with additions to the Tranquility Pool (adults only) and resort plaza. We greatly appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you at Rancho in the near future!

Rancho Las Palmas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Korean first
shellmsw
Reviewed October 13, 2009

The price is worth the stay, Splashtopia is a great place for the family with two water slides and a lazy river. The lifeguards were so "on the ball" we really had nothing to worry about. I think the extra price was worth it for our family trip. We will definitely make this an every summer/fall getaway spot! Within walking distance are shops and restaurants too!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank shellmsw
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and our team of lifeguards work extremely hard to provide a safe, fun environment for our guests. Look forward to seeing you back at Rancho soon!

S.F.
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I went for a conference and hotel was basically pre-booked and part of the deal and boy it was GREAT!!
The front desk staff rocked from the minute I walked in - accomodated my wish for a quiet room upstairs.
Room was large and bed was amazing - incl. a huge flat screen tv.
Bathroom was large and with a good dressing area and large closet.
Staff worked hard and the maid even lent me her cell phone when I had to dial my phone which I'd misplaced. A perfect example how all staff went out of their way to make my stay and the entire conference a success.
The conference meals were very good, fresh well tasting and poached eggs came out perfect - for 300 people!!
The PA systems worked perfectly - so if you plan a conference this is a great place to go. It all worked!

And I'm going back there and bringing my wife so we can sit on the balcony of the room and enjoy the sunsets of the mountains.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TravellingFoolS_f_
Thank you for taking the time to post. We hear from so many of our conference guests that they didn't quite get the chance to relax and enjoy the resort, so you're not alone in your comments! Look forward to seeing you back at Rancho soon - this time with your wife to relax and enjoy!

Simi Valley, California
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Found hotel through Tripadvisor for a "Spur-of-the-moment trip with kids 12 & 8." $99 deal was appealing. (but I hate the fees) Room near pool/view of golf course was perfect! Beautiful view of San Jacinto Mtns. Did not experience noise from pool like other reviews. Our kids loved Splashtopia. Only complaint "no enough wait staff" around Splashtopia, but short walk to cafe. Blue Ember restaurant was pricey but great they had a BOGO entree free deal which helped. Grounds are beautiful with a lovely walk from room to restaurant every evening and early morning. Very enjoyable but crowded this time of year. would like to visit again in the off-season.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank baruranch
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We just spent a few days at Rancho Las Palmas and loved it! The room was very clean (no mildewy smell in our room as reported by others .. thank goodness!) and even though the double beds seemed smaller than normal, they were super comfortable with soft, comfy bedding. The carpeting looked brand new and there was a large, cozy chair with an ottoman that I sunk into regularly! We were on the ground floor, with a sliding door that opened onto a small patio area overlooking the golf course which was nice and quiet. My one small gripe would have to be about the louvered pocket door to the bathroom. I'm just not a fan of them.

Our teenaged girls thoroughly enjoyed the lazy river at the Splashtopia pool and we practically had the whole place to ourselves. I can honestly say there was never more than ten people in the entire pool area at any time we were there! The weather was absolutely perfect, about 85 degrees and sunny each day.

We also ate on the premises at bluEmber, Palms Cafe (basically just coffee, teas, and continental breakfast type items which was fine with us), and the Splash Grill. Everything was good .. but with typical exorbitant prices found at resorts. The River, with a variety of restaurants...shops...and movie theaters is just across the street though.

The Spa personnel were lovely ladies who were SO accomodating and sweet. They brought in an extra pedicurist so two of us could go at once.

One issue I could have lived without would be the gardeners who started at 8:00am with their loud equipment right outside the door! Ugh.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank SkipperB
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We traveled to Rancho Las Palmas for a weekend getaway with our 13 month old son. The location of this resort is great. It's literally across the street from The River, which is a mall filled with various restaurants like PF Changs, Flemings and Cheesecake Factory to name a few. We mainly ate at the resort until we discovered The River. Food was good, but somewhat pricey.

We loved the pool amenities that this resort offers. They have a great lazy river. However, it is extremely overcrowded and I felt like I was at a rock concert trying to get seats. People line up outside the gates and it's a mad frenzy to save seats. People throwing items to reserve their spot, pushing, shoving and some "bully" parents.

The rooms were average. I was not too pleased with the size of the double beds. My husband and I ended up sleeping in our bed since we couldn't fit comfortably in one bed.

This is not a resort that I would stay at if I was looking for a couples getaway. However, it is a great place for families since it really caters to our needs.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ccbloom
Irvine
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Had a great time at the Rancho Las Palmas this past weekend with my husband and three kids ages 12, 7, and 3. We hadn't ever been to Palm Springs before and were pleasantly surprised. The area was very nice, much like Orange County in some sections. The resort grounds were beautiful. I had read a lot of negative reviews before booking and felt like we were taking our chances but when we saw the hotel we started uncrossing our fingers. Our fam checked in around 5 as we did the Tram first along with some hiking (both of which I highly recommend), so we didn't have to worry about check-in hassles like some other reviews mentioned. I had requested a poolside room with a king bed, however, the only available room with a king was by the golf course so we took it. The location was nice, more isolated feeling. When we walked into the room it had a very very musty mildewy smell. The room itself was very nice and the view of the course was great. The carpet, however, had a lot of stains. It's unfortunate that somebody spent 35 million dollars on renovating this place and picked carpet that obviously doesn't stand up well to heavy traffic. I was thinking the mildewy smell had something to do with their carpet cleaning methods. We called the front desk and they said they would send somebody to "refresh" the room. We were also told that somebody would come bring sheets and make-up the pullout bed for our kids. We went out to dinner came back and the room still smelled horrible and there were no sheets for the pull out bed. We called again asking to switch rooms but were told that they were fully booked and unable to switch us but they would send somebody to "refresh" the room and would also bring sheets. The sheets were brought but the room was never refreshed. Spent that night wondering if we were all breathing in something a little toxic. Sunday afternoon everyone had cleared out and we were able to switch to a poolside room with two double beds. We were so happy when we walked in the front door and the room didn't smell, although I have to mention that walking past other rooms by the pool I smelled that same mildewy smell again. The view was great. I loved being by the action and although two doubles is a little small for a family of five we were happy to have a nice comfy chair with an ottoman which our older son was excited to sleep on. The double and the chair was much better than the pull-out mattress in the other room, which according to our kids was very uncomfortable (and they like sleeping on those things!). My older one complained about springs and buttons sticking in his back. If we stayed in a king room again we would bring an air mattress to put on top of the pullout. The carpet was stained in a lot of places in this room as well but that was the only main detraction. Ok, on a more positive note, we all loved Splashtopia! The waterslides were so much fun and the lazy river was relaxing. We went off-season so it really wasn't that crowded but I can imagine if it was the river would be too crowded, the slide lines would be long, and there wouldn't be enough chairs to go around. As it was we went down the slides countless times, didn't have to wait for chairs, and there were plenty of innertubes and room in the lazy river. Loved it!!! My kids also like ordering poolside. They like their meals and my husband and I liked the drinks we got. Although, when you pay $12 for a drink it would be nice for it to come in a glass rather than a plastic cup with a lid. The nachos we ordered were so so. All in all I would order pool side again but be prepared for a hefty bill. Breakfast at the Blu Ember was very nice as well, would definitely eat there again. The cafe is also a nice option for breakfast as well. If you don't feel like a big breakfast the cafe has pastries, cereal, juices, and coffee. It was nice having the River nearby as well for dining options. One night we ate at the Cheesecake Factory and the next we at the Pieros Aqua Pazza, both places were delicious. We could have walked there but both nights were a little windy and chilly. I would come here again but only at a more discounted rate, we paid about $210 a night all fees included.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!