“Will not stay here again”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Southern California
“Will not stay here again”
Reviewed December 21, 2008

I'd like to first start with something positive - the grounds are absolutely gorgeous. If I had a tent, I would have stayed outside. As for the rooms, that is a different story. To sum it up the rooms smelled musty, the tub smelled like mildew, we had a stream of tiny black ants from the bathroom to the refigerator/bar area, and the heat did not work. They ended up moving us to a different room and the heat ended up working too good! The thermostat would not maintain a nice 74 degree temp. Instead it heated the room to 92 degrees. We had to use the AC to cool the room down and then it would get too cold! Also, the compressor for the heat is soooo loud that I could feel myself vibrating while sitting on the chair on the opposite end of the room. Oh and another thing, the walls are thin. We could hear the people talking next door and kids stomping above us for hours.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 29, 2008

My family and i frequent Palm Springs quite a bit and normally stay at The Esmeralda and have recently tried The Riviera and The Parker....all of which are better than this hotel. We booked the stay for Thanksgiving and planned to eat Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel like we have done in the past at The Esmeralda....we checked in and ate lunch at Blue Ember then immediately went and cancelled our Thanksgiving reservations!!! The staff never asked why.....the food was incredibly bland and virtually tasteless and the lunch wasn't worth what we paid let alone the $65 per person they were going to charge us the next night....all meals after that were eaten at The River across the street....I had never been so happy to eat Baja Fresh!! We thought we'd be safe the next morning eating a sticky bun from the cafe along with coffee....WRONG! Even the sticky bun was bad...I"m not sure how that could be but it's true!! We mainly went for the pool for our 4 year old and it turned out he was not tall enough to ride the water slide so beware of that!! The lazy river was nice and thank goodness the pool was heated which was the saving grace of our stay since it was a brisk 70 degrees outside....the rooms were very basic....beds were uncomfortable and the fold out couch where our teenage daughter slept was as she described "like sleeping on a chain link fence" .....I would say that if you don't care about luxury and just want a pool with a slide and a lazy river, than this place is OK but if you're used to nice hotels you won't be happy here....i won't go back....it feels very condo like and very far from 4 star...in the hotels defense, i did get some nice shots of the grounds and i suppose if you golf it may have some benefits....we also spotted Jim Cramer from Mad Money at the bar....my husband said that was a bad sign since he regularly says on TV that he loves Sizzler and Olive Garden and this is right on that level....

• Liked — The lazy river
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 11, 2008

This hotel is by no means 4-star as depicted on most travel sites… rooms are average with dirty floors (stains on carpet and bathroom tiles), patio door handle falling off repeatedly. Housekeeping and porters barge into the room even with “Privacy” sign on door. Massage was not completed per the brochure. bluEmber brunch was worth about ½ the price (we paid $100 for 2 people) as the food was cold. Was waken up on our last day by lawnmowers at 7.30a. Although I appreciated being comped for my inconvenience, I would not come back. We’re planning a business outing soon, and I will definitely choose another resort that has a more “high end” feeling.

• Liked — Nice grounds and room view; free parking outside room.
  • Disliked — Poor room quality, average food, spa needs improvement
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We recently spent a long weekend at Rancho Las Palmas and had a great experience. We arrived early and were able to check right in. The room was as nice as the photos show, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was big. We were on the first floor and had a terrace with a beautiful view of the golf course and mountains. The resort is kept up beautifully and even though we were on the opposite side of Splashtopia, it was not a far walk at all. Both the main pool (Splashtopia) and the adult pool were very nice. The chairs at the adult pool were especially comfortable. We loved the location, being within walking distance to Longs (grocery store) and The River (shopping center) were big pluses. We definitely recommend taking a trip to Palm Desert and Palm Springs to check out the activities available there as well.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phgraves42
California
Reviewed October 20, 2008

My husband and I went this month for our anniversary. We stayed for 4 nights. We had a great relaxing time. When we checked in they saw it was our anniversary and upgraded our room to a lake view room. We really appreciated that! Our room was nice, clean and spacious. I liked the decor. My husband loved the big TV. He watched the TV while I had a day of spa treatments. We enjoyed the pool, the Blue Ember restaurant and the spa. We also like the fact that the River is right across from the resort. The staff that we encountered from check-in to check-out was very friendly and polite. The only major complaint I have is that the room we stayed in had 2 adjoining doors. Our first night was quiet and peaceful. Then came our neighbors on both sides of us. We could hear everything through the adjoining doors. And they both were annoying on two different nights around 12 am. The resort did major renovations but I don't think they sound proofed those doors. So next time we stay there I will ask if all the rooms have adjoining doors. The only minor complaints I have are that we left our room mid-morning for about 3 hours or so with the housekeeping sign attached to the door and when we got back the room hadn't been cleaned. I called the front desk and they sent someone right away. But I laughed because the next morning at 8:30 am h/keeping knocked on my door and of course we were still in the bed sleep. And, I have a thing for very nice tubs and I wish that they would have put in whirlpool tubs during the renovations. Then I could see paying the price we paid for our room. But overall, we had a wonderful and romantic time and we will return.

• Liked — Spacious rooms and location
  • Disliked — adjoining doors
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank necpix
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 12, 2008

I selected this hotel because I was looking for sunshine! I would have preferred to go to La Costa, which has a comparable pool, but it was just too cold. I normally stay at the Parker in Palm Springs, because I love the atmosphere, but this trip was for my 3 year old. We arrived early and were given a room immediately. I love that we were able to park right outside our door - which made leaving the properly much later than checkout so easy! Upon my return, I will likely request an upstairs room as I could hear the guests above us. I wasn't too thrilled with some of the drinkers next door, but that isn't the hotel's fault. It's the type of place that attracts big wedding parties so there are all types of people here. I liked that we could walk across the street to THE RIVER to have dinner, and never had to get in the car. Our room came with 2 breakfasts in BluEmber, and the food was great. We had food at the pool two days, and once I ordered, the food came soon enough - it was difficult to find a server, but they were always pleasant once they showed up. I liked that there were plenty of lifeguards, and we loved the lazy river with plenty of tubes for riding. While the hotel wasn't brand new - I felt that the grounds were kept very nicely, and the room was clean. The carpet did have stains but I'm sure my daughter contributed to that as well. This is a family resort and kids are messy. If you are into golf or tennis or want a great choice of pools, I'd recommend this hotel. Overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Liked — The pools
  • Disliked — the carpet in the room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ShakaWahine
Orange County, Ca
Reviewed October 9, 2008

Rancho Las Palmas and I go back about 25 years. I've stayed there quite a few times since I was a kid. The secret to staying here is, don't go during busy weekends or holidays. And, don't expect service to be outstanding.

We stayed one night on a Monday. We arrived about an hour before the 4 o'clock check-in and were able to get our room right away. The girl at check-in made it pretty easy. We were given wrist bands that were to be worn at Splashtopia (the pool area). Kind of cheesy, I thought, to be given wristbands but, I understand they probably do have a problem with non-guests using the facilities.

The resort is set up in a way where you drive to where your room is located. You now must enter your room card into a reader that raises one of those wooden arms to enter the resort parking area (a new feature to keep the non-guests out).
No bother. I like the idea that their trying to keep the undesirables out.

Our room - We reserved a poolside room through the hotel's website a couple months prior to our stay. At check-in, the girl showed us a map and suggested a poolside/golf course view room in building 10. We had our 4 year old son with us and wanted to be closer to the pool. We asked for and were given a ground floor room in building 12, closer to Splashtopia. The room was up to our standards. New carpet, new crown moulding, new tile in the bathroom and new fixtures. I really liked the improvements. Very nice. What I didn't like about the room we had was, I could hear the people in the room next door. I could the small child crying and whining. I knew this could make for a long night so, I called the front desk to ask for a room change. They obliged and we were given the room that was originally suggested at check-in. Much better! We were still right next to the pool in building 10 with a golf course and fountain view. A beautiful view.

Splashtopia - I was impressed! A mini water park. A large pool. A lazy river. 2 slides. A hidden sandy beach. A kid's paradise. Don't get too excited though. They have a rule that really stinks. Splashtopia is not for small kids. Children must be 48” to ride the slides and must be accompanied by an adult in the river if under 48”. This rule stinks! They need to reconsider the height requirement. My son is 40" tall and a decent swimmer. The lifeguards are also very inconsistent with the rules. Some would allow him to be in the lazy river and others would not. The lazy river is 3 feet deep. Most Southern California water parks allow children 40" and above to ride the non extreme rides or slides. The slides and lazy river at Spalshtopia are far from extreme. For this reason, Splashtopia gets a big thumbs down for kids under 48 inches. We did get one lifeguard to allow my son to go down the slide by himself one time. He had no problem and we didn't even need to be at the bottom to help him out. Proof positive their 48 inch rule bites the big one!

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. Would we ever stay during a weekend or busy holiday? NEVER! This is the kind of place to escape to when nobody is there. Go during the off season. It's a heck of a lot cheaper and you don't have to put up with the crowds. Will we stay there again? Yes, when my kid is 48 inches, or when they change that stupid rule.

Suggestions - Look at the resort's website and check out the property map to ask for the best room location. Building 10 has a great view of the golf course and it's right next to the Splashtopia.

Bring water shoes! The pavement does get very hot. The lazy river also scrapes you feet and toes. They should have thought about a more non-abrasive bottom.

• Liked — Peaceful
  • Disliked — The 48 inch rule
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!