“Not the greatest”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
California
“Not the greatest”
Reviewed July 30, 2008

I took my three kids ages 9, 9, and 4 to Rancho Las Palmas because of Splashtopia and wasn't all that impressed. I found it to be average at best. We were there midweek and were shocked by the crowds, especially because we were told that it was much less full than it is on the weekends. The lazy river was packed with people floating in their inner tubes. It was so full that you barely moved through it and got stuck because you were bumping into people constantly. My 4 year old was extremely disappointed because he wasn't allowed to go on either slide due to the "overly" strict height requirement ( 47" or 48") which is about the size of your average 7 year old. That's really unfortunate for all the 4,5, and 6 year olds who love water slides. The pool service was terrible until we tipped one of the pool waiters very generously. From that point on, we got the royal treatment and he was at our beck and call. But it didn't look like the other guests were getting the service that they also deserved. When we initially made our reservation, my friend and I requested connecting rooms which we were assured that we had received at check-in, so we drove on over to our rooms and got all the luggage out - to find that the rooms were near each other but not connected. We called the front desk and asked to be moved to connecting rooms and were told that a bellboy would be sent right over to move us. After waiting for 30 minutes we called the front desk again and were told that it would only be another five or ten minutes. We finally were moved to connecting rooms but were annoyed by the whole situation. We asked for some sheets for the pull out couch and received dirty linens with a old sunflower seed stuck to it. It was these little things that put me off of the hotel. However, saying this, it wasn't a terrible place and we still had a good time, so I wouldn't say to cancel your reservations - just be aware of some of these mishaps because they could happen to you.

• Liked — Splashtopia but wished my four year old could go on the water slide
  • Disliked — Pool Service
2 Thank StacyC33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I booked this hotel because of Splashtopia. I have two kids ages 9 and 11 and they loved Splashtopia.
I arrived to check in at 1pm and they had my room available so that was great.
The hotel room itself it was a bit larger than average and overall nice. I had a golf view and it was only a short walk across the parking lot to Splashtopia.
I arrived at Splashtopia the first day around 2pm and there where no loungers that weren't taken. The second day we arrived around 10am and found plenty of loungers. Even though Splashtopia was packed with people they had plenty of floats and the open spaces in the pool.
Overall I would recommend the resort for people with kids going for Splashtopia.

• Liked — Splashtopia
  • Disliked — Overpriced meals at the resort resturants
1 Thank LoveMN
Pacific Grove
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This hotel was the last leg of our road trip which included Vegas, Grand Canyon and Phoenix before returning home to the Monterey Peninsula. We got a fairly decent rate for the summer, and a beautiful room to go with it. The main reason for booking this resort was the pools, since we had our 10-year old in tow. "Splashtopia" was a blast!!. I think the only complaint I could make is the pool area could be kept cleaner. Many plates, cups, beer cans and dirty towels left around for hours. Still, a great time for the 3 of us!! Housekeeping was wonderful, beds super comfy, huge TV's, quiet rooms and beautiful grounds. We will return!!

• Liked — comfy clean rooms, nice grounds, and a fun pool area.
  • Disliked — Plates, beer cans, cups and dirty towels left too long around pools.
anaheim
Reviewed July 27, 2008

The resort was nice especially the pool area. The one drawback was not enough servers around pool area.

The room was ok. It looks like a lot a people eat in the room so it would be nice to vacuum under bed and around corners. We saw food under both bed and in corners.

The staff was not particulary friendly.

Great for kids but not sure if I would go back.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The cleanliness of the room
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 23, 2008

This year for my 5th yr wedding anniversary we decided to spend it with the kids being that I was 9 mos pregnant. We drove down from LA and didn't want to go far because of my condition (37wks). We stayed on a friday and left on a Sunday. We were greeting very nicely by the luggage guy and being that I was VERY pregnant the front desk clerk was VERY accommodating and we stayed in bldg 28 on the first floor in room 2814 which was a king bed w/sleeper sofa. Our kids didn't seem to mind the bed at all (2 girls) and my husband and I were in heaven in the king bed. The room was like 10 steps away from the pool and splashtopia. We booked the splashtopia package on the hotel website which is really a good deal because we had our own lazy river tubes to take home. Its a really good family place to get away for the week or weekend being that it also has a little beach area for babies and toddlers. Our girls stayed in the pool area the whole stay which was fine with us. We didn't buy any food from any of the onsite restaurants but instead brought a cooler and ate snacks in our room. The first night we caught a movie down the street at the plaza and the next night which was our anniversary we had the girls stay in the room (both preteens) and they ordered pizza and also went to the pool to see the movie near the pool for the kids, which was an added bonus. There are not many resorts that do this. Kids got to swim and watch a movie on a screen TV all at the same time - hubby and I went to the Cheesecake Factory in the plaza across the street. Our little sitting area outside our room was perfect! It was shaded and looked out over the golf course and the lake. We ate breakfast at Ruby's which was a 50's themed diner about 2 min away across from Apple Bee's in the plaza. Its a nice hotel the only complaint I have is the puddy near the bottom of the bathroom door even though the bathroom was very clean and nice, other than that, we will return with the new addition to our family next summer.

• Disliked — It can get VERY crowded at the pool area.
1 Thank Millyj
Tustin, CA
Reviewed July 20, 2008

First off let me say this is a beautiful resort. It’s very clean and up to date. The rooms are attractive, clean, and spacious.

We took our kids there primarily because of Splashtopia and we were not let down. It was a blast. They have plenty of rafts for the river and a good amount of life guards on duty at all times. I always thought it felt very safe for the kids.

Another person on here mentioned Splashtopia’s hours as being 10 to 7, but did neglect to mention the pool itself opens at 7 AM and stays open until 10 PM. So I’m not so sure why they had such a hard time finding somewhere to cool off. We were in the pool first thing AM and in there late at night. The pool was the perfect temp! The lazy river is a little warm, but still very nice.

There were two negatives we had during our stay. The first was the pool area wait staff. It was very short staffed as far as we could tell (this was a week day visit. W/Th/F). Waiters/Waitresses were far and few between. On the one time we decided to order lunch, it took 30 minutes to get someone to acknowledge our presence. When they finally brought us some menu’s, my wife asked if they would be back soon and the girl looked like we had just insulted her. Additionally the food is VERY expensive. Children’s menu items started at $10. Our lunch for 4 was close to $70 and not all that tasty. Luckily we found Sherman’s Deli right around the corner and had a number of meals there!

However over all I would say this we a very fun trip and would recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

• Liked — Splashtopia!
  • Disliked — Wait Staff / Food Costs
5 Thank Martin B
Frederick, MD
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We could have booked just about any resort in the Palm Springs area but chose Rancho Las Palmas because of the newly renovated pool and lazy river they call 'Splashtopia". We were very disappointed with "Splashtopia". There was no shade, very little landscaping, mostly concrete, very uninviting. We have stayed at many resorts in the Palm Springs area and this one did not have that resort feel. On the positive side the room that we had was very nice. With the many places to stay in the Palm Springs area I would not recommend Rancho Las Palmas.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Pool area
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!