“Speechless, Doesn't Live up to Omni Standards”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Never again, this 'resort' is not for us! This is the second Omni we visited in October 2013. The first was in Dallas 2 weeks earlier. We don't like the 'bait and switch' we experienced at the Las Palmas. Had arranged for an upgrade to a suite and received a phone call from Edgar at the hotel 30 minutes before our arrival. Edgar left his message to ask whether we wanted the upgrade we had requested. Well, yes...it was requested! Edgar left his name and we called back and suddenly it was not available.

Upon returning 'his' call, we were asked who left the message and the others at the front desk didn't know who he was. Oddly, one-half hour later when we arrived there were only two people at the front desk and Edgar was in the back we were told. Of course, our six calls trying to reach him to confirm we did want the upgrade went unconfirmed by the other staff, who at first didn't know who Edgar was. Really? So, uncharacteristic of Omni, or any hotel. We're some kind of Omni select guest, but any guest should not experience this from the hotel. Edgar called back and told us he had let the room go to someone else. He was so sorry.

To my husband's dismay, we cancelled all 5 spas, the cabana he had reserved and anything scheduled at that hotel. Would I have dinner at that hotel, no way. Read below. To be candid, anything scheduled was tainted by this one insufferable individual. Glad he doesn't work for me as he would be unemployed. Truly, we didn't trust or believe the misleading message left by Edgar and his hiding out when we arrived. Our experience was unique as we had just left the Montage in Beverly Hills and we were to return to Beverly Hills after leaving the Omni. We didn't expect the Omni to be on a par with the Montage property, but the staff...there is no excuse for treating guests like this.

Everything worked out perfectly. Instead of spending all the $$$$ at that hotel for the massages, cabana, dinner, I discovered an outlet mall, bought another suitcase and shopped. Amazing shopping just 20 miles west on I-10. I'll had my massages back in Beverly Hills at the end of the week.

For the hotel, we didn't have the suite we had ensured. We didn't have any of the massages or dinner at Blu Ember scheduled by my husband. But, this corporate Omni didn't want our money or our stay and this was evident. Corporate hotels may be runined by insensitive corporate employees. This attitude begins at the top. I can see this from trip advisor replies by the Omni manager, all written at once and without a name. These people won't sign their name, they are not invested in the Omni experience of their guests.

Now, for the room. This former Marriott-owned hotel and room, still upgraded but not a suite was fine, at first. Until, we discovered it was not clean. My husband knew I was angry about the situation and he didn't believe me. However, after maintence had to unstop the bathroom sink withing 15 minutes of arriving, put the trash paper liner on the vanity, as they used the trash can to contain water, I had to go to CVS and buy Lysol. This was a first. (You don't do this at an Omni, The Drake, The Palmer House, The Palace, or an Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, but you might want to do so here.) With a white towel, I cleaned both vanities, and I was shocked. Unfortunately, we were both shocked - I wish this had not happened. Afterward, my husband would not drink from the water glass, another first.

But for a conference at this hotel and others we were awaiting, we would have returned to Beverly Hills. This was a serious conversation and we were about to leave, but due to committments, we could not. Literally, we felt exiled in Palm Springs. With a hotel desk clerk hiding out and his manager out-of-sight, it was hopeless.

For families, Spashtopia is wonderful for kids. For adults, the grounds are beautiful, water features, including a lake, fountains, and running rock features are very pretty. Our room had a view of the golf course with a patio, chairs and table. But, with a blackened white towel, hotel staff without the confidence to sign their names to trip advisor replies and a hotel agent hiding out, there is a definite problem at this hotel. I would give this hotel a '1' due to the dirty room and staff. However, for families, who seem to enjoy Splashtopia, the beautiful grounds, and the view from our room, I will give it a '2.' We travel a lot, expect the best, easily adapt and accept mistakes, but this hotel was dirty and the actions of the staff were inexcusable. I tried and did learn baby powder will 'cover' the smell of dirty - a new trick I will never employ again. My husband almost drove me to Beverly Hills, but I insisted we were in this mess together.

Granite vanities were the only upgrade I could discern. Tired old furnishings, toilets that are old and rattling A/C - but it works! The beds, who knows, I was afraid to look. Coffee is in the room and as so-called select people, we were given the usual internet and Starbucks certicates each day. I don't really care about this, but it's nice. But, clean is better than internet and Starbucks. We were not accustomed to hearing people walking above us, but this was over in a few days. Actually, as soon as the others in our group arrived, these Starbucks cards were used, we visited Sunnylands and I photographed the surrounding desert, this place was a mere memory. Great visit to this region of the US, as I photograph everything!

Room Tip: The only tip I can offer: don't believe the hotel staff. Otherwise, any room will do. Good luck...
4  Thank RikiUSA
Write a ReviewReviews (3,905)

Reviewed October 26, 2013

A last minute trip to Palm Springs and we loved our stay at the Omni. The staff was so friendly and very accommodating . Our rooms were in the adult area which was nice and quiet. The rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable. A little short staffed for breakfast but since we were not in a hurry it didn't matter,and our waitress was very nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I attended a conference at the resort, my second time there. The food is universally outstanding. I arrived a little early and had a delicious lunch on the terrace. $19 for a turkey sandwich and iced tea?? I guess you are paying for the view and lovely weather. My room and bathroom were a nice size, but the hotel is a little worn. The curtain pulls were broken and the toilet kept running until I took the lid off and manually adjusted it. I did call engineering, but toilet problem was never fixed. The valets at the entrance are very polite and attentive.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

First time to Palm Desert and loved the accomodations for the most part. Didn't expect that there would be that many children there so the pool area was not that enjoyable for us. The water park at Arizona Grand in Phoenix was much better for us. The golf courses were virtually vacant so it was unfortunate that I wasn't able to swing a club (shoulder injury) or I'd been out there all day; the 6th tee was right outside our patio door. Cannot fault the resort, however, for being underwhelmed by the Palm Desert area. Weather was unbelievable, but if you're not golfing, there isn't much to do outside the resort. Loved the gondola; enjoyed the Living Desert, but could not locate the 1000 Palms Oasis which would have made the trip worthwhile. (that is partly the fault of Tom Tom, which is inferior to Garmin and cannot find a lot of tourist destination spots)

Room Tip: I'd stay far from the pool unless I was travelling with kids.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gordon G
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was there for a conference by Sharp Community Medical Group. Driving through the mountains at nite was a bit scary, but once I arrived at the Hotel all my stress dissipated.People were very helpfull and friendly I felt wellcomed.Nice experience.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I came along with my husband who was there for a conference. While he was busy, I took advantage of the resort. The bedroom and bathroom were large and well appointed. Our balcony looked out over the golf course and made for a lovely spot to sit and read a book. The pools were quite sprawling. We checked out the adult pool one evening, as it is open later than the family areas. Despite not having any kids, we really enjoyed Splashtopia! Many laps around the lazy river were made and I'm pretty sure my husband rode down the slides as many times as the kids did. The pool staff is outstanding! The grounds staff is also top notch and were more than happy to let you hop a ride on their golf cart to take you to the other side of the resort. We even got a cart ride right up to the adult pool gate as we were about as far away from that area as you can be on the property. It was a really nice getaway in the middle of the desert.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I really recommend this hotel, the service is great! I went with my girlfriend and we had a great time. I hope you get the same experience. Another couple when with us and the had the same experience and same comments

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!